• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Turkey in Winchester

Started by Jim Johnson, November 20, 2011, 11:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Libman

You people would smoke anything!   >:D

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Alex Libman on November 23, 2011, 01:35 AM NHFT

Come on, ya know ya want to, all the cool kids are doin' it, what are ya chicken turkey?

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 23, 2011, 07:48 AM NHFT
Quote from: Alex Libman on November 23, 2011, 01:35 AM NHFT

Come on, ya know ya want to, all the cool kids are doin' it, what are ya chicken turkey?

...well some cool kids have chickened out, cuz the pee in the bottle guy will spank them if they don't stop being cool.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Pat K on November 22, 2011, 10:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 22, 2011, 07:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: Pat K on November 21, 2011, 06:46 PM NHFT
Dammit Jim !
I have a Space Ship to run !

Ya right, you just sit in your big recliner
and look like you know whats going on.

Really?

I look like I know what's going on? 

cool.

KBCraig

Alex Libman

I'm back on the vegan thing, and I'm too Scroogie for smoked Tofurky and any other artificially-manufactured crap.  The only thing I'd smoke is chipotle.  My addictively spicy pea and bean soups will conquer the world!   ;D

KBCraig

Kat Kanning

Do you make your own chipotle peppers?   I was growng jalapenos this summer and thinking I'd try smoking them somehow.  They add a great flavor to salsa.

Tom Sawyer

Chipotle pepper is one of my favorite flavors.

Lloyd Danforth

One of the simplest Dip recipes in the World is mixing salsa into room temp cream cheese. I usually make it with Newman's Pineapple Salsa. I came into a bottle of Pineapple Chipotle Salsa and used it. Primo!

Becky Thatcher

Mmmmm, thanks Jim and Lauren.  The turkey was most excellent and so were the deviled eggs.

We came home to a flying squirrel in the house, hanging off the door frame to the bedroom.  Cute little guy.  Tom managed to get him outside without hurting him.

Jim Johnson

It was great having you and your family over for the feast.
Thank you for the wonderful pies and the stuffing... tasty tasty  ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on November 24, 2011, 08:31 AM NHFT
One of the simplest Dip recipes in the World is mixing salsa into room temp cream cheese.

Indeed. Or for fridge-temp cream cheese, nuke it just a bit until slightly soft, then splash on the salsa and mix with a fork.

Our favorite spread for "good" crackers (no, not the saltine variety), is Pickapeppa poured over a cold block of cream cheese; slice off a sliver, spread, and enjoy.

Back to turkey day.... I tried something different this year for the bird. I took the zest of two oranges and one lemon, and pulsed that in the blender with one 10 ounce bottle of soy sauce, until all was smooth and frothy. I poured the mixture over the bird, brushed it well to cover the skin, and stuffed the chopped fruit into the cavity, with two quartered onions in the roasting pan.

For the 17.5 pound bird, I cooked it uncovered at 350F for two hours, re-brushing with the soy/citrus mix a couple of times, which produced an amazingly golden crisp skin. Then I tented the pan with aluminum foil, reduced the temp to 180F, and went to bed. When Mary got up about four hours later, she pulled the bird out and left it sitting, covered, until we were ready to carve and eat.

I think it was one of the best turkeys we've ever had; tender, juicy, and flavorful. I know it was the prettiest.

Oh, and I should probably point out that I brined the bird for 24 hours. Nothing precise, just a cup or so of kosher salt, half cup or so of brown sugar, handful of lemon pepper, and a couple of gallons of water in a brining bag.