• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Deputies refuse to evict 103 year old woman

Started by Kat Kanning, November 30, 2011, 08:23 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/movers-sheriffs-deputies-refuse-evict-103-year-old/nFp4Q/
Movers and sheriff's deputies refused to evict 103-year-old from her home Tuesday.

By Ryan Young
ATLANTA, Ga. —

A 103-year-old woman and her 83-year-old daughter were just moments from being evicted from their home Tuesday, when sheriff's deputies and the moving company hired by the bank decided not to go through with the action.

Channel 2's Ryan Young was there when the family started thanking God for the miracle.

At just three weeks shy of her 104th birthday, Vita Lee has shared her home on Penelope Road in Northwest Atlanta with her daughter for 53 years.

"I love it. It's a mansion," Lee said about her house.

Fulton County sheriff's deputies and movers showed up at Lee's home Tuesday after Deutch Bank planned to kick the two women out.

The moving company and the deputies took one look at Lee and decided that would not happen.

"I saw the sheriffs who came to put them out take off and leave. I gave all glory to God," community activist Michael Langford said.

"This family has been waging a war against Deutch Bank," community activist Derrick Boezeman said.

Channel 2's Ryan Young asked Lee is she was worried about being kicked out of the home.

"No, I knew that they know what they were doing. God don't let them do wrong," Lee said.

The house and case have been in the court system for years.

Possible eviction seemed too much for Lee's daughter Tuesday. She was rushed to the hospital.

"Please don't come in and disturb me no more. When I'm gone you call can come back and do whatever they want to," Lee said.

For now, Lee remains in the home. She is hopeful things can be worked out with the bank.

Jim Johnson

Very old ladies will now be placed on the terrorist watch list.

WithoutAPaddle

I've had no luck at finding the "other side" of this heartwarming story, as the only substantial, local  newspaper I know of, the Atlanta Constitution, is still relying on this television report for its content.

For how long has the homeowner been in default?  Where was the sheriff planning on moving them to, and at whose expense?

Jim Johnson

If it is a real story, all of the information would be available through county offices.

WithoutAPaddle

County offices of what, and how would one access that information?  For now, hundreds of websites have simply echoed the original story.

I conclude that, many years ago, the owner of the house allowed some third party to use it as collateral for a loan.  Should there be a "geriatric exception" written into mortgage foreclosure laws?  If so, how much more will the rest of us have to pay for our mortgages to keep such a system solvent?

Silent_Bob

The deputies will call in county "social workers" and have the occupants placed in a nursing home. Then they'll continue the foreclosure process.

lildog

If I could afford it I'd contact the women and work out a deal with them... I'd pay the remainder of their mortgage, which they apparently can't cover and in return once they pass away the house become the property of me or my family assuming they outlive me.

Simple free market solution where everyone would win.

WithoutAPaddle

I doubt it is that simple.  There is possibly a first mortgage to be paid off, and a second, and then back property taxes and utilities and any contractor's leins.  My sister was recently looking for a small house in that area and said there was a lot to choose from for $60,000 to $70,000.  Good chance this house is upside down.

Remember when Donald Trump was going to bail Ed McMahon out of his foreclosure.  That went nowhere, presumably because McMahon's property was also upside down.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on November 30, 2011, 02:11 PM NHFT
County offices of what, and how would one access that information?

Atlanta is the seat of Fulton County, GA.

Fulton County Magistrate Judge
185 Central Avenue Southwest, Atlanta, GA 30303-3519
(404) 613-4245 ?

Ask for Court filings involving the evicting of Vita Lee, Penelope Road in Northwest Atlanta.

Fulton County Sheriff's Office
185 Central Ave SW # T9500, Atlanta, GA
(404) 612-5100

Ask them what requires need to be met to let Vita Lee stay in her house.

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 30, 2011, 08:15 PM NHFT
Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on November 30, 2011, 02:11 PM NHFT
County offices of what, and how would one access that information?

Atlanta is the seat of Fulton County, GA.

Fulton County Magistrate Judge
185 Central Avenue Southwest, Atlanta, GA 30303-3519
(404) 613-4245 ?

Ask for Court filings involving the evicting of Vita Lee, Penelope Road in Northwest Atlanta.

Fulton County Sheriff's Office
185 Central Ave SW # T9500, Atlanta, GA
(404) 612-5100

Ask them what requires need to be met to let Vita Lee stay in her house.

All I would expect of them is to offer to sell me copies of the documents for $1.00 per page, and unless they have a lot of time on their hands, I would expect them to initially only offer to sell me the docket index page for a dollar a page, from which I could identify which documents I then wanted to buy.  There will be no transcript available of any hearing that took place unless some party subsequently paid a couple hundred dollars to have one produced, and if the debtor defaulted by not responding, then their side of the story will not be contained in the records. 

Back in the late 1970s, a friend of mine once got suckered into buying a one-half interest in the Cartier Club in Rollinsford.  As he explained it to me, when a lein holder learned of his interest in the property, he took his lein off it, and then my friend bought a one-half interest, and then the former leinholder reasserted his lein on the other half, which tied the hands of my friend in such a way that he eventually had to satisfy the leinholder's claim because otherwise, he could never get anyone to buy his own interest from him. 

doobie

QuoteVita Lee has shared her home on Penelope Road in Northwest Atlanta with her daughter for 53 years.

I find it quite sad that someone has to have their home owned by a bank after living in it for 53 years.   

littlehawk

The Banksters created things so everyone is upside down. It's the norm..if you talk to people. With their manipulation of the dollar almost everyone took out equity loans and refinanced.

Mortgage means debt for life...(or something similar to that). Like everything else..you really DO NOT own anything...including your children.

Kat Kanning

We were playing Taboo the other night, and my father in law got the word "mortgage", so to group of kids he kept saying that it was 'death grip', which is what the latin roots of it is.  ::)  Needless to say, no one guessed the word from his clue.

Russell Kanning

ssounds like a loong complicated story
I just side with all old people vs deutch bank. Maybe we should forclose on their bulding in nyc

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 01, 2011, 09:24 AM NHFT... Maybe we should forclose on their bulding...

It's been done... recently.
Bank of America Gets Pad Locked After Homeowner Forecloses On It

My sister's small home is hopelessly upside down.  Just before the banking industry took a dive in 2008, they called her up and told her that she had $30,000 in equity in her house and they were sure that if she thought about it, there are all kinds of useful things she could do with that money, so she took the $30,000 and bought new windows for $5,000 and then blew the rest.  I remember she bought me a nicer Christmas gift than usual that year and she bought presents for others as well.

Last year, she told me I am named Executor in her will and a one-half residuary devisee, and she told the other residuary devisee that she wanted me to be able to live in the house rent free after she died.  She does not grasp that one half of zero is zero, so unless I choose to buy the house from the estate for its full market value, I will never be living there, and never for free.