• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I have a question about growing vegetables in the house

Started by Raineyrocks, February 27, 2012, 02:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Can it be done in the winter?   If I buy those long brown rectangular plastic planters and dirt, can I just put seeds in there?  Do I need special lighting or will putting them by a window work?

I'd like to grow lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers so I can make fresh salads all year.

ptb

If this guy can grow salad greens outdoors in unheated cold frames in Maine, I think it could be done in New Hampshire as well.  We're planning on trying aquaponics indoors within the next couple years.  Ask again in 24 months (hopefully) and we'll let you know how it turned out.   ;)

- Peter

Russell Kanning

Kat has also enjoyed spouting all sorts of stuph inside
you don't need a bunch of sun, so they work great all year and are yummy

MaineShark

Indoors limits the light exposure.

Even outdoors in greenhouses, tomatoes are hard to grow in NH, during the winter, due to the lack of sufficient light.  The plants will grow, but the fruits will taste wrong because it takes a certain number of hours of light to make enough sugar to get them to the right sweetness.

But there are plenty of things you can grow, even using just the light that comes through a window.  And, of course, you can always add grow lights if you want to open up your options.  Just burns some electric power to do it...

Russell Kanning

Raineyrocks

Quote from: ptb on February 27, 2012, 07:55 PM NHFT
If this guy can grow salad greens outdoors in unheated cold frames in Maine, I think it could be done in New Hampshire as well.  We're planning on trying aquaponics indoors within the next couple years.  Ask again in 24 months (hopefully) and we'll let you know how it turned out.   ;)

- Peter

Ha, I'm glad you put a link for aquaponics in here or my first question would've been, what the heck is that.  :D 

Geesh, it seems complicated and pretty intense, I'm not good with stuff like that.  I like it simple but I am curious to know how it works out, thanks.

I hope we are all still alive so I can ask you in 24 months.  Just kidding, kind of, I am semi concerned with a pole shift, Mayan stuff, wars, etc.  :o

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 28, 2012, 07:15 AM NHFT
Kat has also enjoyed spouting all sorts of stuph inside
you don't need a bunch of sun, so they work great all year and are yummy

Yup, I've grown all kinds of sprouts, they are good but I want something I can bite into like Beefsteak tomatoes.  :D  Ewww, I just remembered one sprout I hated though and I think it was called Mung something, yuk!

Maybe Mung sprouts?  I don't know.  Thanks Russell :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on February 28, 2012, 08:49 AM NHFT
Indoors limits the light exposure.

Even outdoors in greenhouses, tomatoes are hard to grow in NH, during the winter, due to the lack of sufficient light.  The plants will grow, but the fruits will taste wrong because it takes a certain number of hours of light to make enough sugar to get them to the right sweetness.

But there are plenty of things you can grow, even using just the light that comes through a window.  And, of course, you can always add grow lights if you want to open up your options.  Just burns some electric power to do it...

Thanks, maybe I can put some on the deck because the sun really hits that spot good, but then again you said tomatoes need a certain amount of hours of light. :-\   I think it gets about 3 hours of steady sun on that side of the house, that is if these cloulds ever go away.