• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

City of Keene Parks and Rec. Department

Started by Russell Kanning, December 07, 2005, 06:41 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

One thing to keep in mind.  When talking about the level of services
with people, don't forget to ask for their thoughts about school and
county services.  The City sends out the tax bills and sometimes that
taints the thinking people do about who plays a part in the total tax
bill.
                                  Brian Mattson

Mark

Quote from: russellkanning on December 08, 2005, 01:29 PM NHFT
I see that your department is spending $9,000 a year on a category called "Telephone". What exactly is included in this line item?

--
Russell Kanning
Keene Free Press

My office will probably spend $3K with two staff members by the end of this year. Three land lines, two cells, DSL, and an occasional conference call. We're part of a larger organization (10 people) that will spend about 12K. I'd love to only spend the $500/employee/year that Keene Parks & Rec are reportedly spending.

What kind of cell phone works in Keene, anyway? I was there on Monday and couldn't get a signal at all.

Russell Kanning

Each office is different .... most of the parks employees is running around in a truck. They also probably handle very few calls in a day.

I bet the average walmart spends much less than $500 per employee per year.

I have seen people use cellphones.

Lloyd Danforth

My verizon works in southern and central NH.

Wouldn't the Parks department land lines and internet provider be part of combined services to the city?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 15, 2005, 03:16 PM NHFT
Wouldn't the Parks department land lines and internet provider be part of combined services to the city?
Kindof ..... they definitely pay too much

Mark

Quote from: russellkanning on December 15, 2005, 05:02 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 15, 2005, 03:16 PM NHFT
Kindof ..... they definitely pay too much

What's an appropriate amount? Between land and cell, I spend about $1300/year for my family's use, and there are only two of us old enough to use the phone much. Add another $480 if internet's included.

I wouldn't think there would be a lot of outgoing long distance from the City of Keene, but business lines are expensive, and the costs would add up pretty quickly with an 18-person organization.

Does the $9K include equipment and training? We just spent a buttload of money on a phone system to annoy our customers by making them press buttons instead of talking to people, but that's a one-time (or once every several years until the next great annoyance comes along) expense.

Dreepa

Remember we are talking about a REC dept not a business.

$9K is a lot!

FTL_Ian

$9k?  Sounds like someone's been calling 900 lines!   ::)

Mark

Quote from: Dreepa on December 16, 2005, 10:36 AM NHFT

$9K is a lot!

I think you'd find the billing is pretty similar. You can argue that the rec department is too big or that it shouldn't exist at all, but compared to what I've seen and paid, $9K in phone service isn't at all unreasonable to support an 18 person organization, especially if that includes any equipment purchases.

KBCraig

Quote from: Mark on December 16, 2005, 01:22 PM NHFT

$9K is a lot!

I think you'd find the billing is pretty similar. You can argue that the rec department is too big or that it shouldn't exist at all, but compared to what I've seen and paid, $9K in phone service isn't at all unreasonable to support an 18 person organization, especially if that includes any equipment purchases.

Remember... this is a RECREATION DEPARTMENT. "Equipment" is mostly rakes and shovels and lawnmowers. The employees aren't doing office work.

Russell Kanning

The numbers are not outrageous .... I just agree with these guys .... it is the parks department.
They spend a little too much for their lines and system .... and that is shared throughout the city. I just wanted an explanation .... and I got it. They spend too much .... but we will find much worse stuff.

FTL_Ian

I find it interesting he's ignoring the question from multiple sources.  Perhaps he doesn't think he's accountable to any of you "little people".   ::)

Lloyd Danforth

This just supports maynard's ?zero based budgeting proposal. ?Each department would have to explain and justify their expenses, every year.

Russell Kanning

He did answer me about the expenses and the flag burn.
The first answer I didn't like much ...... and we told him we were going to do the flag burn anyhow.

Mark

Quote from: KBCraig on December 16, 2005, 01:48 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mark on December 16, 2005, 01:22 PM NHFT

$9K is a lot!

Remember... this is a RECREATION DEPARTMENT. "Equipment" is mostly rakes and shovels and lawnmowers. The employees aren't doing office work.

They're not? I've spoken on the phone a number of times to the guy who runs our arena, as well as the lady who runs the gym, and the girl at the Community Center. I get flyers in the mail and I'll occasionally visit their web site. I don't think any of it is produced in the trucks. I'd also bet that the guys who do work outside have access to some sort of telephone, and that it isn't free.