• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Main thread for Ed and Elaine Brown vs the evil IRS, Part 13

Started by Lloyd Danforth, March 04, 2007, 04:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicholas Gilman

This is giving me a headache.  Almost as annoying as the trip to the candy mountain...haha!

Back to the topic at hand...

A different forum that I visit has made a  tenfold jump in pro-liberty topics
since I started posting in a thread regarding the situation with the Browns.
I'm thankful that they have been reunited.

:clapping:

macthefork

Thank you Margot for your email.

Margot a couple of questions for you.

Does your Editor or Publisher at the Concord Monitor control to any meaningful degree the content or attitude
of the stories you write for the newspaper?

Do you have complete freedom to write into your stories the truth as you see it, and do you find that the stories are published in the Concord Monitor with that truth essentially intact, or do you expect, or preemptively account for, the attitude of your Editor and Publisher in the direction and construction of the stories?

Thank you for your reply.

Matthew Cohen

JosephSHaas

Quote from: macthefork on March 07, 2007, 01:32 PM NHFT

Does your Editor or Publisher at the Concord Monitor control to any meaningful degree the content or attitude

Do you have complete freedom to write into your stories the truth as you see it, and do you find that the stories are published in the Concord Monitor with that truth essentially intact, or do you expect, or preemptively account for, the attitude of your Editor and Publisher in the direction and construction of the stories?

Matthew Cohen

Mike Pride is the dictator there, and all/100% of the stories sub-mitt-ed, then take a turn for the worst! Just like their advertising Dept., as in the Winter of 2004-05 I tried to place an advertisement for the Grand Jury to read in order that they might be able to come to their own conclusions, separate from the County Attorney, as for a "Presentment" that they all sign, rather than just the foreman, as by their RSA Ch. 600:3 investigative powers, but oh no! The http://www.concordmonitor.com would have none of this! So I went to Warren Hastings (since retired @ 4 Park St., Concord) at The http://www.unionleader.com and he told me after it was printed that they certainly had a hard time getting it past their legal dept. to Joe McQuade or somebody even higher-up, to finally get my block ad published.

This was the free speech case that they wanted me in prison for #__ years (in the plural) for writing a nasty letter to the A.G. citing the death plague in the Bible, "them" thinking I was some cloud-rain-maker and had to arrest me before midnight, or it might come to pass.  The correct definition of such a letter was a "letter-of-advise" as defined in the Balentine's Law Dictionary up at the Supreme Court Law Library.

Hey! Even John Harrigan, the wildlife reporter for The UNION NEWS got involved by citing the Rogers Rangers case of their attack on the Indian camp in Canada during the Seven Years War (a/k/a The French & Indian War), back around 1759 (and as illustrated in that great "Northwest Passage" movie of 1940) somehow getting the dogs to not bark to alarm the Native American Indians.

Yours truly, - -

fromwhateversourcederived

Matthew Cohen

Why not just contact that bitch at the paper itself idiot.  Sick of this jackass.

coffeeseven

Quote from: fromwhateversourcederived on March 07, 2007, 02:37 PM NHFT

Matthew Cohen

Why not just contact that bitch at the paper itself idiot.  Sick of this jackass.

Try the ignore setting.  ;)

error

I don't mind if Margot comes here and engages people in conversation. I might like to interview Margot about various topics such as journalistic integrity and ethics and whether worship of the State undermines those.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Nicholas Gilman on March 07, 2007, 01:21 PM NHFT
This is giving me a headache.  Almost as annoying as the trip to the candy mountain...haha!

Back to the topic at hand...

I know, I know I'm putting him on ignore before it gets really ridiculous and I realize this thread should remain about Ed and Elaine not petty squabbles.  Now about candy mountain, did you click my link to hear it?  You don't like the trip to candy mountain?  I think it's so stupid that it actually makes it funny, it's been veiwed over a million times can you believe that?  Alrighty off to push the ignore button on mac. :)

fromwhateversourcederived

Quote from: macthefork on March 06, 2007, 01:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Peace on March 06, 2007, 12:00 AM NHFT

A man from Hawaii flew in two days ago and will stay for awhile. 

If this man can afford to fly in from Hawaii maybe he can afford to get down to Concord and purchase the transcript from Ed and Elaines trial.

Oh thats right..thats not that important to you people...

Hey MAC I happen to agree with you (I hate to admit because you seem like a prick) that the trial stuff is something the public should see.
I actually was pretty amazed that when I searched under Schiff, and other BIG TAX CASES including recent ones like LARKEN ROSE AND HIS WIFE down in PENNSYLVANIA that you cannot find the transcripts from any of these so-called trials.  But MAC why do you have to be such an asshole!!  Couldnt you be better effective (while not getting ignored) by being pleasant about it???
But I guess I can ignoe you too if I wish.
ANYWAYS.
YES.  If Mr. and Mrs. Brown were to be able to post somehow the contents of the court stuff then liberty minded attorneys and whomever around the country through the power of internet could get a real beat on things while maintaining their anonymity.  Attorneys are afraid of the IRS too.  My brother is a lawyer.  I do not think Schiff or even Larken Rose got the stuff from their trials out.  People who really know how to interpret the finer nuances of the crap that can go on with stuff at trials would see that trial material (transcript) as a treasure trove.

macthefork

Quote from: fromwhateversourcederived on March 07, 2007, 04:18 PM NHFT
Quote from: macthefork on March 06, 2007, 01:07 PM NHFT
Quote from: Peace on March 06, 2007, 12:00 AM NHFT

A man from Hawaii flew in two days ago and will stay for awhile. 

If this man can afford to fly in from Hawaii maybe he can afford to get down to Concord and purchase the transcript from Ed and Elaines trial.

Oh thats right..thats not that important to you people...

Hey MAC I happen to agree with you (I hate to admit because you seem like a prick)

Can we show a bit of restraint in the foul language?  Up above you refered to a woman with a very disrespectful term.  I'm happy to be agreed with but good thing you aren't in front of me with that mouth brother.

money dollars

Quote from: macthefork on March 07, 2007, 04:40 PM NHFT
Can we show a bit of restraint in the foul language?  Up above you refered to a woman with a very disrespectful term.  I'm happy to be agreed with but good thing you aren't in front of me with that mouth brother.

;D
Dude, you are a bitch.

LordBaltimore

Quote from: fromwhateversourcederived on March 07, 2007, 04:18 PM NHFT
Hey MAC I happen to agree with you (I hate to admit because you seem like a prick) that the trial stuff is something the public should see.
I actually was pretty amazed that when I searched under Schiff, and other BIG TAX CASES including recent ones like LARKEN ROSE AND HIS WIFE down in PENNSYLVANIA that you cannot find the transcripts from any of these so-called trials.  But MAC why do you have to be such an asshole!!  Couldnt you be better effective (while not getting ignored) by being pleasant about it???
But I guess I can ignoe you too if I wish.
ANYWAYS.
YES.  If Mr. and Mrs. Brown were to be able to post somehow the contents of the court stuff then liberty minded attorneys and whomever around the country through the power of internet could get a real beat on things while maintaining their anonymity.  Attorneys are afraid of the IRS too.  My brother is a lawyer.  I do not think Schiff or even Larken Rose got the stuff from their trials out.  People who really know how to interpret the finer nuances of the crap that can go on with stuff at trials would see that trial material (transcript) as a treasure trove.

The Brown transcript isn't available yet and probably won't be for a few more weeks.  The other court documents are available for free on www.edbrown.org.  These did not come Ed and Elaine, but were downloaded from PACER.

Schiff's lawyer has had a copy of Schiff's transcripts since early November but he isn't sharing, and it'll cost thousands of dollars to purchase another set since the trial went on for six weeks. If you want a copy, write or call Schiff's attorney.

If you want trial transcripts from Larken Rose, he's out of prison now, call him and ask him.  Or, you can pay a couple of thousand dollars to get the transcripts yourself.

Making transcripts available to the public did absolutely nothing for Dick Simkanin.  He still lost his appellate cases, all the way up to the Supreme Court.

Instead of bitching (had to get that word in somehow) about others not doing the legwork for you, go out and do it yourself.

Dave Ridley

With regard to the debate about negative news coverage,

I'm assuming this means you guys would like to see more positive and accurrate news coverage of the Brown situation.  Here is a guide I wrote a while back on how to accomplish that.

http://www.freestateproject.org/about/essay_archive/mediarelations.php 

Our Local Media Relations: Tips from an Insider

by Dada Orwell
April, 2003

Note: A few months after I wrote the first version of this article in September 2002, local TV reporter Jeff Crilley released a whole book on the subject. It's a much better guide to media relations than I could ever provide. I recommend reading it, especially if you may have something to do with Porcupine PR. The book is "Free Publicity," available at www.jeffcrilley.com. But if free advice is all you can afford, read on!

At some point, if it hasn't already, the FSP will truly dawn on the consciousness of the mainstream press. Since I work for a local TV newsroom and am also an FSP supporter, here are my thoughts on ways we can maximize press coverage ? and minimize press hostility ? without compromising our principles. Though this advice is tailored toward our relations with local media, some of it should hold true for dealing with the more liberty-challenged national press.

First, an anecdote. In covering the ultimate "federal vs. state" conflict ? war in 1991 Yugoslavia ? BBC reporter Misha Glenny made an observation that I also found to be true when I swung through there a year later. As you may recall, the "breakaway republic" of Croatia was in conflict with "Federal Yugoslav" forces, which were dominated by Serbian hypernationalists.

Obviously this was a much more extreme situation than we'd ever face, since we're not even a secessionist movement. But there is a universal lesson to be learned from flawed yet charming Croatia. Glenny noted that Croats seemed to instinctively understand it was important to be hospitable and accommodating to the press. But Serbs tended to be openly hostile to reporters, often assuming they were "the enemy" and that there was no hope of winning them over. Glenny says this affected early coverage of events, to the benefit of the Croatians. Initially neutral or unsympathetic to them, reporters couldn't help but be a little won over by Croat families inviting them into their bullet-riddled houses for shots of plum brandy while Croatian authorities gave them decent access to the fighting. Positive press coverage eventually, perhaps decisively, helped Croatia win the war.

The media is like the wind, a force of nature. You can either fight it, like the Serbian nationalists did, or you can harness it. You harness it by being kind to reporters, figuring out what they need and getting it to them. They need:

1. For you to know just a little bit about how they operate in relation to you.

On a day-to-day basis, newsrooms revolve around what's often called "the desk," or the "assignments editor." This poor soul is, as Jeff Crilley puts it, always in combat mode, barely keeping up with incoming problems and opportunities from moment to moment. She decides when and where to send reporters. She handles incoming mountains of press releases and gives each release about five seconds of attention before deciding whether to throw it out. Your call or news release will likely be routed to this busy person first, and it had better grab their attention fast. Reporters, on the other hand, have slightly more time. More on them later.

In dealing with broadcasters, you may also need to take into account the needs of the "newscast producer." Producers are the folks who organize the newscast timing/structure and write much of what the anchors say, probably including most of what they say about your event. Make sure whoever covers your event in person gets a copy of the press release, so they can if necessary leave it with the producer. If your writing skills are up to it, make the release so brief, so catchy and so pithy that they could almost read it on the air as is.

2. A visual story. Reporters do not crave news conferences and meetings ? there's usually nothing interesting to photograph or videotape. They'd much rather see ten of us burning our 1040s in front of the local IRS office on April 15. Or a flea market benefiting the FSP. Use your creativity to come up with something even more interesting than these, if you can!

3. A local story. Houston TV stations, for instance, don't generally care what happens in Dallas, and they likely won't cover a national FSP event, either. The event must occur in Houston's viewing area, preferably in Houston proper.

4. Straight talk. They love straight talk ? the simpler and straighter the better. Don't go out of your way to scare them or anything, just tell it like it is. If they ever sense you're fibbing, exaggerating or even playing down something negative, they may go sour. If you ramble they may go to sleep.

Remember that time a reporter asked John McCain whether campaign donations had ever influenced his votes? And he said yes I have to admit they probably have? That's why reporters love him and why he came so close to winning the presidency.

5. Good timing. One way to help assure coverage is to time your event so it happens at an "easy" time on a slow news day. Weekends and holidays are usually slow because government offices and most businesses are closed. Holidays work best if your event is related to the holiday. In both cases it's hard for reporters to get in touch with anyone, so they are often casting about desperately for something to cover.

6. Time itself. News people are usually short on it and worrying about their deadline. So whatever you do, make it short and simple, and don't waste their Time!

Ideally, hold your event around 10:30 a.m. Reporters generally get to the office around 10 a.m. and have important deadlines between 5 p.m. and midnight. Ten-thirty events give them the most Time to put together maximum coverage of your event after they've left it around noon. This time frame also enables them to get their lunch on time. One possible exception to the 10:30 a.m. suggestion would be if you're able to schedule something to happen during a TV newscast, live.

Example: Say it's the year 2006, and a convoy of 15 RV owners gathers in Wichita, Kansas to migrate to Wyoming. They announce they are going to burn their Kansas state income tax forms at 5:05 p.m. (during the early evening newscast). They announce they are going to drive off at 6:05 p.m. during the second evening newscast. They also express a willingness to change the time a bit in order to accommodate the needs of the newscast producer.

7. Relevance to current events. This is an exception to the "weekend" rule. When there is a big event that has the media in a feeding frenzy, they will jump at any story that is even vaguely related to the big event, even if they're busy. And they'll tend to ignore anything unrelated. For instance, suppose you run PR for Porcupines in the Dallas area, and the Cowboys go to the Super Bowl. One idea would be to hold a signing ceremony two or three days before the game where a former Cowboy signs up for the FSP then plays ball with some local kids while wearing a Liberty in our Lifetime shirt.

8. No spam! I'm happy to report this is one pitfall we have now partly escaped. I initially heard talk of us sending out mass e-mails as often as once a month that hit every local media outlet in the country. This would have done more harm than good, and the plan has apparently been modified to the benefit of the recipients. Our news releases now tend to go out only to press outlets in the state where an event is taking place. Not perfect, but it's only one-fiftieth as bad as the initial plan. Good enough for volunteer work!

However, if you really want to ensure coverage for, say, a Fargo, North Dakota event, don't just rely on e-mail. Contact each major Fargo media outlet via e-mail, plus fax, plus phone.

money dollars

Quote from: Nicholas Gilman on March 23, 2007, 12:14 PM NHFT
"Victimless crimes" are a construct of the system.
"crimes" are a consturct of the system.

LordBaltimore

I like RBNs jingle that says "RBN....because you CAN handle the truth."

Since Ed was called a felon earlier, I'd like to see an explanation
on how it is possible the federal government has EVER been a victim.
I dont believe a crime without a victim is crime at all.
"Victimless crimes" are a construct of the system.

The convicted felon comment was in response to the person who thinks Ed should sue the Concord Monitor in court.

I simply pointed out what the court has already said about Ed and Elaine. 

You can't eschew the courts in one breath (I refuse to acknowledge a court that finds me guilty of a felony) while using the same courts for your own means (I'm going to sue so and so so for damages because my reputation is hurt.)

Russell Kanning

I like RBNs jingle that says "RBN....because you CAN handle the truth."
I agree. I don't think people are sheeple .... I think they are capable.