• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Main thread for Ed and Elaine Brown vs the evil IRS, Part 20

Started by CNHT, July 24, 2007, 04:55 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

coffeeseven

The illegal agency is being hacked. Oh the horror!  ::)

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8QPK2E02&show_article=1

Computer Security Problems Found at IRS    
Aug 3 10:50 AM US/Eastern
By JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press Writer    

WASHINGTON (AP) - IRS employees ignored security rules and turned over sensitive computer information to a caller posing as a technical support person, according to a government study.

Sixty-one of the 102 people who got the test calls, including managers and a contractor, complied with a request that the employee provide his or her user name and temporarily change his or her password to one the caller suggested, according to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, an office that does oversight of Internal Revenue Service.

The caller asked for assistance to correct a computer problem.

The report said that by failing to question the identity of the caller the employees were putting the IRS at risk of providing unauthorized people access to taxpayer data that could be used for identity theft and other fraudulent schemes.

"This is especially disturbing because the IRS has taken many steps to raise employee awareness of the importance of protecting their computers and passwords," said Inspector General J. Russell George.

Only eight of the 102 employees contacted either the inspector general's office or IRS security offices to validate the legitimacy of the caller.

The report said the IRS took measures to improve security after two similar test telephone calls in 2001 and 2004. "However, the corrective actions have not been effective," it said.

The IRS agreed with recommendations from the inspector general that it should take steps to make employees more aware of hacker tactics such as posing as an internal employee and to remind people to report such incidents to security officials.

The IRS has nearly 100,000 employees and contractors with access to tax return information processed on about 240 computer systems and more than 1,500 databases.

error

Nice little picture, but I can still see the snow on the house...

LordBaltimore

Quote from: KBCraig on August 03, 2007, 09:00 PM NHFT
Dick, your contributions would be more easily read if you would leave the quoted text properly quoted.

I fixed it for you. Richardr's, too.

My apologies. Thanks for correcting it.

doh

Quit calling 911 and the cops. They are the enemy and don't care an iota for anyone but their paychecks. Shit!

armlaw

Dick, your contributions would be more easily read if you would leave the quoted text properly quoted.

I keep telling everyone, I am a caveman when it comes to this thing and I need help in learning what to do and how to do it, so please, let me know, I can follow instructions!

KBCraig

Quote from: armlaw on August 04, 2007, 08:30 PM NHFT

I keep telling everyone, I am a caveman when it comes to this thing and I need help in learning what to do and how to do it, so please, let me know, I can follow instructions!

When you hit the "quote" button, it encloses everything within the quote codes, like this:
[quote author=armlaw]Armlaw's text.[/quote]

I disabled the code there, so that you can see how it looks. With the code enabled, it looks like this:
Quote from: armlawArmlaw's text.

Just make sure to use the brackets around everything you want quoted.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: error on August 04, 2007, 10:41 AM NHFT
Nice little picture, but I can still see the snow on the house...
... and that is a problem how?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Doh! on August 04, 2007, 02:51 PM NHFT
Quit calling 911 and the cops. They are the enemy and don't care an iota for anyone but their paychecks. Shit!
Who is calling 911?

Dave Ridley

armlaw it's just good to have you here cave man or not
and doh....welcome!

Friday

I haven't read this whole thread, so sorry if this has already been covered...

I just read on the RLCNH Yahoo group:
although Elaine Brown's office has been taken by the feds,
she has set up a dental office in their Plainfield home. It looks
like she has everything that you would expect to find in any other
dental office. As of a couple weeks ago, they were very close to
completing the last of the work needed to get it going.
Can anyone who has been to the Browns' home confirm or refute that?  Has Elaine really been setting up a dental office in her house?  Seems really hard to believe, for multiple reasons....

armlaw

[/quote]

Lets see if I can delete some unecessary wording and still use the quote ?
Hmmm, the shadow and box doesn't appear on preview ?

Kat Kanning

I know someone who had his teeth cleaned in their home.

KBCraig

Quote from: armlaw on August 05, 2007, 08:15 PM NHFT

Lets see if I can delete some unecessary wording and still use the quote ?
Hmmm, the shadow and box doesn't appear on preview ?

[/quote]

You're missing the opening quote code. Together they look like this:[quote]...[/quote]

The text you want to quote goes in place of the "...".

Kevin

KBCraig

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Brown+grows+gray+as+siege+drags+on&articleId=1ef6c480-ba64-4716-9494-b693da561da3

Brown grows gray as siege drags on

By DAN TUOHY
New Hampshire Union Leader

PLAINFIELD – Ed Brown's neighbors are growing anxious. Ed Brown is growing gray.

The gun-toting tax dodger turned 65 on July 22, according to his "Oath of Allegiance to the New Hampshire Republic" filed in county tax records. He's now eligible for Medicare, an odd milestone since he hunkered down in his fortified home in Plainfield some seven months ago.

Other anniversaries may come and go: Ed and Elaine Brown say they will not leave without a fight and U.S. Marshal Stephen R. Monier insists federal forces will not storm their compound off Center of Town Road.

As the standoff continues without end in sight, the federal government is giving financial assistance to the town to defray the cost of extra police patrols and related details, Selectman Robert W. Taylor said.

"It's definitely been an added expense," said Taylor, who did not have an estimate last night. "It's pretty much a stalemate at this point."

Federal authorities have cut off power and telephone service to the Brown property, hoping to make life difficult for them and have them give up. Monier said Friday his team continues to reach out to the Browns and encourage them to end the conflict peacefully. "We do have open lines of communications with them and continue to encourage them to turn themselves in," he said. "A lot of good people are working on this."

Monier declined to say whether his office was reviewing its strategy and considering other options.

Some townspeople are frustrated at the languishing standoff.

"Marshals are dragging their feet," Gordon Wilder said last night. Residents are holding out hope for a peaceful conclusion, but the Brown showdown has stoked anxieties. A group of residents sent the Browns a letter earlier this summer to ask them not to invite hundreds of people to a jamboree at their house. The Browns ignored their request, though neighbors were cordially invited to their party.

Robin Carpenter, living nearby on Center of Town Road, said she and other neighbors expressed their "increased anxiety" regarding the increased vehicular traffic and visitors.

"None of us would want anything to happen to the Browns, or to anyone else," she said.

The Browns were convicted in January of skirting federal income tax laws, avoiding paying tax on $1.9 million Elaine Brown, a dentist, earned from 1996 to 2003. In their absence, the court sentenced them to 63 months in federal prison. As the Browns underscore in their Declaration of Citizenship to New Hampshire, as filed in Sullivan County, they do not recognize the federal government. The documents, which list birth dates of July 22, 1942 for Ed Brown and Feb. 14, 1941 for Elaine Brown, also repeatedly tout they are of the Caucasian race.

The Browns have alternate means of electricity, support from friends who risk felony charges for helping them, and maintain a couple of Web pages to promote their cause. One of the sites alleges federal agents fired 30 to 40 gunshots a week ago as a psychological operation; Monier said there was no such operation. Brown did not return a reporter's e-mail requesting comment - and wishing him a happy birthday.

Stephen H. Taylor, the state's longtime agricultural commissioner who lives in town, said there is a degree of embarrassment that the pastoral town near the Vermont state border is known for the Brown case. "It just seems to drag on. Everyone's just fed up," he said. "We're just going to have to wait it out."

Taylor, the selectman, also shakes his head at the negative attention, from the Los Angeles Times to wire services zapping the story around the world

"They're making us famous for all the wrong reasons," he said.