• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freedom to Travel Event, Part 1

Started by Kat Kanning, May 17, 2005, 06:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Here is another proposed version of the press release.   Russell if you can approve it I will start sending it out again.

---

NH:  Man Without I.D. Vows to Board Flight or be Jailed

Manchester, NH, May 18, 2005 - Inspired by New Hampshire's "outlaw manicurist," another Granite Stater is stepping forward to peacefully defy license-related laws.  Thirty-five-year old Russell Kanning of Keene has announced he will approach a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint at Manchester airport on June 11 and refuse to cooperate with the requirement to show ID.  "I will either board the plane without I.D. or be arrested," he says.  "In a free country you do not need government permission to travel."

Kanning has a ticket to Philadelphia and, if allowed to travel there, plans to celebrate by visiting Independence Hall.

Two months after the September 11th attacks, the Aviation Security Act federalized airport security nationwide, and granted unprecedented police powers to the TSA.  Now, an ID is mandatory to enter an airport, passengers must travel alone past security checkpoints, and random full-body searches in public are considered normal.

Kanning stresses that he will not resist arrest or do anything that might be perceived as physically threatening.  He says this act of nonviolent resistance will follow the model laid down by Gandhi, who used peaceful noncooperation to expel the British from India.  "We will tell them everything we're going to do ahead of time.  We are not going to disrupt the operation of the airport," he says.

Kanning says the parallels with Gandhi's situation go further than a shared belief in nonviolence.   "In South Africa (where Gandhi's protests began), Indians had to have special I.D...so it's very similar that way, and he wanted to burn it...He was appealing to that same basic idea that we have rights to not have to have paperwork to be able to move freely."

Earlier this month another Gandhi admirer, Mike Fisher of Newmarket, used the Mahatma's techniques to protest business licensing.  After announcing he would perform an unlicensed manicure in front of the state licensing offices, he carried out his promise, earned a brief trip to jail and received heavy regional media coverage for his viewpoint.

Kanning says Gandhi's and Fisher's examples inspired him to take similar action against the growing "surveillance state."  He believes the Real ID amendment passed by the Senate this month will make things even worse.  But he says it's important to stay positive.    "The goal is we want to get to the point where we can travel without having to have paperwork so, this is the beginning of that.  We see light at the end of the tunnel. "

Currently the plan is for Kanning to approach the security checkpoint at 12:30 PM.  Journalists and supporters will want to be there by noon.

Summary:

What:  Civil disobedience against ID requirements under federalized airport security.
Where:  Manchester Airport in New Hampshire (exact spot to be determined)
When:  Saturday, June 11 @ noon
Who:  Russell Kanning of Keene, NH, supporters from NHfree.com
Why:  To draw attention to the recent and continuing loss of privacy and freedom due to federalized airport security and National ID.
How:  By approaching a TSA checkpoint with a ticket but no ID, refusing to show ID, and refusing to cooperate with the law until arrested or allowed to board the plane.
Contacts:  Russell Kanning:  (603) 357-2049,  Kat Dillon (same number), Mike Fisher (603) 498-7935.  More contacts and details may appear in future releases, which appear at NHfree.com.

Russell Kanning

I have decided that if I get through.....I will fly there and back, but won't have any time to visit anywhere in Philly
The rest looks good. :D

Russell Kanning

Kat has reminded me that we don't have enough time to plan another event....so I will save the burning of my ID's for another day......maybe I will join someone else
s celebration.
When we burned JP's SScard,we only got halfway done....so I know he has the remains somewhere.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: president on May 20, 2005, 03:27 PM NHFTI thought Mike did his event to start debate, but debate does not seem to be what you guys really want. You just want everyone to agree with you, cus you are the self appointed "good guys".

He might have....I don't want a debate about freedom....I just want freedom.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: president on May 20, 2005, 03:27 PM NHFT
The president only visits this forum.....You are 'special', and I visit a lot of places.....I don't go to forums for a circle jerk, so I wouldn't bother to visit one where everyone agreed with me about everything.

The "president" may only visit here, but "fisher" is a regular at http://bbs.freetalklive.com

Russell Kanning

Michael Fisher

I organized the manicure event to create debate and get a point across.  I'm very satisfied with the results!  :)

Russell, I think you should write the letter to the government.  I can see us writing press releases and helping out with most other things, but the letter must be your message, so I think you should write it.   ;)  It's just one letter.  It won't take that long!

Michael Fisher

I do not at all understand the basis of the argument that we only look at our side of the argument and ignore all others.

We have absolute respect for opposite views.? Most of us here have become pro-liberty individuals through years of discovery, debate, reading, and research.? We are on this forum to take action, so expect us to focus on that primarily.? This IS a forum for discussing action, organizing action, and TAKING action.? All except for the "Endless Debate and Whining" area, of course.? ;)  Please do not be offended or offensive because we focus on action in this forum.  I do not believe I should be debating endlessly and pointlessly on here like on most other forums.

Outside of this forum, I regularly ask people that I meet what they think about licensing, tell them about the event, and listen to their point of view.? I like to ask leading questions, ask why they hold their point of view, and propose my point of view while respecting their opinion and specific areas of expertise.? I communicate with many local people each day about licensing-related issues.? Real noncooperation requires respect for other points of view - it is like the Golden Rule.? If you wish for someone to consider your point of view, you must listen closely and consider her point of view.

"Non-cooperation is a measure of discipline and sacrifice, and it demands respect for the opposite views."
-Gandhi

That said, this IS primarily an action forum.  :)

Dave Ridley

Here's the version that incorporates Russell's requested changes...it also softens some of the rhetoric about the TSA.

---

NH: Man Without I.D. Vows to Board Flight or be Jailed

Manchester, NH, May 21, 2005 - Inspired by New Hampshire's "outlaw manicurist," another Granite Stater is stepping forward to peacefully defy license-related laws.? Thirty-five-year-old Russell Kanning of Keene has announced he will approach a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint at Manchester airport on June 11 and refuse to cooperate with the requirement to show ID.? "I will either board the plane without I.D. or be arrested," he says.? "In a free country you do not need government permission to travel."

Two months after the September 11th attacks, the Aviation Security Act federalized airport security nationwide and granted new police powers to the TSA.? Now, an ID is mandatory to travel by commercial aircraft, passengers must travel alone past security checkpoints, and random full-body searches in public are considered normal.

Kanning stresses that he will not resist arrest or do anything that might be perceived as physically threatening.? He says this act of nonviolent resistance will follow the model laid down by Gandhi, who used peaceful noncooperation to expel the British from India.? "We will tell them everything we're going to do ahead of time.? We are not going to disrupt the operation of the airport," he says.

Kanning says the parallels with Gandhi's situation go further than a shared belief in nonviolence.? ?"In South Africa (where Gandhi's protests began), Indians had to have special I.D...so it's very similar that way, and he wanted to burn it...He was appealing to that same basic idea that we have rights to not have to have paperwork to be able to move freely."

Earlier this month another Gandhi admirer, Mike Fisher of Newmarket, used the Mahatma's techniques to protest business licensing.? After announcing he would perform an unlicensed manicure in front of the state licensing offices, he carried out his promise, earned a brief trip to jail and received heavy regional media coverage for his viewpoint.

Kanning says Gandhi's and Fisher's examples inspired him to take similar action against the growing "surveillance state."? He believes the Real ID amendment passed by the Senate this month will make things even worse.? But he says it's important to stay positive.? ? "The goal is we want to get to the point where we can travel without having to have paperwork so, this is the beginning of that.? We see light at the end of the tunnel. "

Currently the plan is for Kanning to approach the security checkpoint at 12:30 PM.? Journalists and supporters will want to be there by noon.

Summary:

What:? Civil disobedience against ID requirements under federalized airport security.
Where:? Manchester Airport in New Hampshire (exact spot to be determined)
When:? Saturday, June 11 @ noon
Who:? Russell Kanning of Keene, NH, supporters from NHfree.com
Why:? To draw attention to the recent and continuing loss of privacy and freedom due to federalized airport security and National ID.
How:? By approaching a TSA checkpoint with a ticket but no ID, refusing to show ID, and refusing to cooperate with the law until arrested or allowed to board the plane.
Contacts:? Russell Kanning:? (603) 357-2049,? Kat Dillon (same number), Mike Fisher (603) 498-7935, NHfree.com

Michael Fisher

What's wrong with saying the TSA was given "unprecedented" police powers after 9/11?  ;)

Yeah, I know, it sounds more like an editorial than an article.  LOL

Michael Fisher

Now as soon as Russell writes his letter to the gub, I can send this PR to my press contacts.

Come on, Russell.  You can do it!  Believe in yourself!  ;)

Michael Fisher

Why are you worried about what the people on other forums are saying about this event?

ALL of what has been posted in opposition to this event is nonsense with no logical backing in reality.? Most of the opposition are neocons.? Frankly, I don't care if they like it or not.? They're the ones that caused this.

The typical post:
"Duh, if you have nothing to hide, then why do you want privacy?"
"Duh... what does showing an ID have to do with privacy?"
"Uhh... you've always had to show ID to fly."

The same types of people posted that manicurist licensing has been implemented in all 50 states for decades, which is completely false.  Statism has skyrocketed in recent years, but these people just cannot see what is right in front of their eyes.  They would rather hold the opinion of the majority.  It's easier that way.  You wouldn't want them to think for themselves.  Oh, the horror!   :o   ;)

This event is an excellent idea, and the timing is perfect.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 21, 2005, 06:35 PM NHFT
"Uhh... you've always had to show ID to fly."

Ignorance is bliss for some people..

Argumentum ad antiquitatem

This is the fallacy of asserting that something is right or good simply because it's old, or because "that's the way it's always been." The opposite of Argumentum ad Novitatem.

Erethizon

Perhaps this question is slightly off topic for this thread. But I'll ask anyway. :)

Can anyone explain how knowing the identity of each passenger makes the flight any safer?

KBCraig

Quote from: Erethizon on May 21, 2005, 09:44 PM NHFT
Perhaps this question is slightly off topic for this thread. But I'll ask anyway. :)

Can anyone explain how knowing the identity of each passenger makes the flight any safer?

That's entirely on topic. As a matter of fact, it's one of the key points!

We knew exactly who the 9/11 hijackers were. 'Nuff said.

Kevin