• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freedom to Travel Event, Part 1

Started by Kat Kanning, May 17, 2005, 06:37 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

I got this comment about the FTT event:

Quoterussell says, "Before airport security was federalized in 2001, I was free to do this, but not anymore."

not true. it was the airlines who really got the ID tyranny happening, and they did it long before 2001. yes, you could get somewhere without ID, but it wasn't way easier than doing it now. the airlines are perhaps a bigger problem than the TSA. they often use the fedgoons as cover for their nazi policies.

Are the airlines using the power of gov't against us?

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Kat Kanning

http://www.wpherald.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20050519-015659-6240r
Case will test REAL ID asylum law
By Shaun Waterman
UPI Homeland and National Security Editor
Published May 19, 2005

WASHINGTON -- A federal court is scheduled next week to hear the first case in which the Bush administration is using controversial provisions of the newly minted REAL ID Act that limit the right of appeal for people refused asylum.

Ablavi Malm, 51, was ordered deported to Togo because her appeal invoking the protection of anti-torture statutes was filed 20 days late, according to her lawyer, Morton Sklar of the World Organization for Human Rights USA.

Sklar says Togolese security forces are notorious for their poor human-rights record and that Malm and members of her family there have been tortured.

The REAL ID Act, signed into law last week, mainly deals with the integrity of the nation's drivers' licensing systems. But it also includes a series of provisions designed to counter what its authors say is abuse of the asylum and refugee system by terrorists.

The case is likely to become a flashpoint for arguments about the asylum provisions of the new law.

"I'm amazed that the government would use the legislation in this way," Sklar told United Press International. "It is even harsher than Congress intended.

"This 51-year-old rape survivor is about as far from a terrorist threat as it is possible to get."

The asylum provisions in the new law, say its authors, were designed to stop those whose application for asylum had been denied dragging out their cases with repeated appeals and prevent appeals courts second guessing judges' views about the credibility of would-be refugees.

To do this, the law removes the right of would-be refugees to file petitions under habeas corpus -- a legal doctrine regarding whether a person is being held legally.

The Department of Justice, in papers filed Tuesday, said the law means the courts cannot hear Malm's appeal.

"This is a very long standing and carefully preserved right," Sklar said of habeas corpus. "It is a last resort to ensure that fundamental rights are not eliminated by administrative fiat."

Malm's case, say her supporters, is an excellent example of why habeas corpus is important.

The U.N. Convention Against Torture, to which the United States is a signatory, bans the deportation of people to countries where they might be tortured. In common with all international treaties, it is implemented in U.S. law by an act of Congress.

Administration officials, in turn, drew up regulations governing how the law would be applied. It is these regulations that Malm fell afoul of by filing her appeal too late.

Her appeal against deportation was rejected by immigration courts and the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, but Sklar says those courts never examined the case on the merits and never looked at the underlying constitutional and legal issues.

"There is nothing in either the convention or the law about a time limit for filing an appeal," he said. The time limit is an administrative measure devised essentially for the convenience of the government, Sklar argues, and as such has to be weighed against the constitutional and legal rights of the appellant.

The law's authors argued that habeas corpus was being used by those who wished to exploit the asylum system to get a second hearing after their cases had been decided.

But her supporters say Malm's case has never been considered on the merits because she filed too late. "The fundamental issues have never been examined," said Sklar.

The law's defenders say the stakes are too high to give potential terrorists a second chance to slip through the net by pretending to flee persecution.

But critics charge the provision is unjustifiably tough and will lead to innocents like Malm being, as Sklar says, "deported to torture."

No one at the Justice department could be reached for comment about the case Wednesday evening.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: katdillon on May 24, 2005, 04:10 PM NHFT
? ? No one at the Justice department could be reached for comment about the case Wednesday evening.
Well it is a small office.......they probably had all gone home. ;)

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

Russell's sent the letter to the airport authorities and right now he's interviewing with the Portsmouth Herald.

Russell Kanning

I didn't realize that your reporter friend was the same woman who wrote the first few Myrtle Woodward/ Barbara Burbank articles. She still can't believe what they are doing do that family and to Mike for a manicure.

Michael Fisher

Yep, Beth seems like a great person!? :)? ?I'll wait a few days until her article comes out to release the PR to all outlets.

Russell, did you consider sending your letter to the Attorney General's office as well?? ;)? I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd done that in the first place, but it could have created a greater response.? Who knows?

Re:? "No ID Requirement to Fly"

There's no actual ID requirement to fly?? We'll see about that when all the TV cameras are watching.

Russell, if this happens to you, and they try to pass you through without it, will you refuse the "selectee" search and continue to demand they allow you on the flight?

Russell Kanning

If we can return to the time when all we had to do was walk through a metal detector without ID....that would be good. When we are done with this push.....normal people should feel comfortable again going through the airport.....not taking off their shoes and clothes and getting patted down etc.........So I will not cooperate with any of those intrusive demeaning steps, that way others won't either.

I don't think this will be a victory...if I have to have a long discussion with each level of security, show them all the laws, and subject myself to a strip search....normal people shouldn't have to go through that routine to get on a plane.

In my letter to the airport director....I talked about customer comfort and ease of use. That is the goal.......and no ID! :)

So I will cooperate with a metal detector walkthrough and that is it.....they shouldn't need to use a wand (since I will not have any metal on me) and I won't take off any clothing.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 24, 2005, 10:47 PM NHFTRussell, did you consider sending your letter to the Attorney General's office as well?? ;)? I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd done that in the first place, but it could have created a greater response.? Who knows?
John Gilmore has been fighting with John Ascroft. I guess this would concern the US AG not NH.......but I guess we don't really know ....since it is "secret".

John

Quote from: russellkanning on May 24, 2005, 06:39 PM NHFT
I didn't realize that your reporter friend was the same woman who wrote the first few Myrtle Woodward/ Barbara Burbank articles. She still can't believe what they are doing do that family and to Mike for a manicure.

Well it's time to believe.  It happens every day.
. . . so while some of our protests against these abuses are "Flashes" they are not mere Flashes in the pan.  We are taking it to the street.  We are taking it to Town Hall.  We are taking it to Concord.  We are taking it to folks walking by.  We are meeting folks and getting the word out.  We are taking back Liberty.

Before we win, we may need to take some of these matters before jurys.
Thats when we will take back Liberty & Justice.

Dave Ridley

Michael Fisher

Today's Portsmouth Herald!

Free Staters plan protest and yet another arrest
http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/05252005/news/44083.htm

By Elizabeth Dinan
edinan@seacoastonline

Since his arrest for conducting a public manicure without a license, Free Stater Mike Fisher plans to stay out of trouble until his court-ordered, one-year of good behavior expires. In the meantime, the Newmarket activist is announcing that the Free State Project?s next planned public act of disobedience will be a federal case.

The Free State Project publicist announced that on June 11, Keene resident Russell Kanning will travel to Manchester Airport and refuse to cooperate with federal law requiring a show of identification.

Like Fisher, he also plans to get arrested. And he said he "has no idea" what the federal consequences will be.

"No one really knows what the rules are in that world," said Kanning, an accountant who moved from Wyoming to participate in the New Hampshire-based Free State Project.

The FSP has a goal of luring 20,000 libertarian-minded people to the Granite State to fight government laws and regulations, while creating a Free State state.

At last count, the FSP population count was reportedly 6,000.

Kanning?s plan calls for buying a plane ticket to Philadelphia, with a goal of visiting Independence Hall, but without ever showing identification to TSA authorities. His inspirations, he said, are Ghandi and Fisher.

Fisher was arrested April 9 for staging a public manicure, without the required state license, in front of the Manchester office of the state Board of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics, the board that governs nail salons. His act of civil disobedience, disguised as a manicure, was conducted to protect what he believes is over-regulation by government on citizens and small businesses.

Fisher was arrested and spent the night in jail.

The person whose nails he filed is Kanning?s wife.

"Hopefully there will be a pile of people up there," said Kanning. "We?re hoping other people will follow and do similar things so they don?t remember who started it all."

Kat Kanning