• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freedom to Travel Event, Part 2

Started by Dave Ridley, May 26, 2005, 10:56 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Kat Kanning

These guys are nuts!

What's "air rage" and what does it have to do with talking on the phone?

http://news.com.com/Cell+phones+on+planes+worry+US+law+enforcement/2100-1041_3-5723903.html

Cell phones on planes worry US law enforcement
Published: May 28, 2005, 9:33 AM PDT
By Reuters

Allowing airline passengers to use personal cell phones during flights could help potential hijackers coordinate an attack or trigger a bomb smuggled on board, U.S. security officials have told regulators.

The U.S. Justice Department, Department of Homeland Security and Federal Bureau of Investigation late on Thursday outlined the potential dangers associated with allowing cell phone use during plane flights, as the Federal Communications Commission has proposed if safety issues can be resolved.

The Federal Aviation Administration would also have to approve any rule change.

At present, personal cell phones and other communication devices must be switched off at takeoff, landing and for the duration of commercial flights because it could potentially interfere with the operation of the plane.

While some have told the FCC they worry about an increase in loud, irritating chatter on flights, law enforcement officials were focused on preventing a possible attack.

"The uniqueness of service to and from an aircraft in flight presents the possibility that terrorists and other criminals could use air-to-ground communications systems to coordinate an attack," they said in comments to the FCC.

During Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, passengers and crew on the hijacked planes used cell phones as well as phones embedded in the seats to call for help and talk to loved ones.

If the cell phone ban were lifted, law enforcement authorities worry an attacker could use the device to coordinate with accomplices on the ground, on another flight or seated elsewhere on the same plane.

If wireless phones are to be allowed in-flight, the law enforcement agencies urged that users be required to register their location on a plane before placing a call and that officials have fast access to call identification data.

"There is a short window of opportunity in which action can be taken to thwart a suicidal terrorist hijacking or remedy other crisis situations on board an aircraft," the agencies said in the comments.

The security officials also worried that personal phone use could increase the risk of a remotely-controlled bomb being used to bring down an airliner. But they acknowledged simple radio-controlled explosive devices have been used in the past on planes and the first line of defense was security checks at airports.

Still, "the departments believe that the new possibilities generated by airborne passenger connectivity must be recognized," they said.

More air rage?
In other filings with FCC, several flight attendants worried that allowing cell phones to be used on planes could make their jobs harder during an emergency and lead to further cases of air rage by passengers.
Cities tempted by wireless

"The introduction of cell phone use in the cabin will not only increase tension among passengers, it will compromise flight attendants' ability to maintain order in an emergency," said American Airlines flight attendant Joyce Berngard.

The possibility of air rage incidents also raised concerns among law enforcement officials who feared that it could complicate the job of armed air marshals disguised as passengers who are deployed on thousands of U.S. airline flights each week.

"The first and overriding priority of federal law enforcement on board aircraft is to ensure the safety of the aircraft and the flight," the law enforcement officials said.

Friday

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on May 17, 2005, 10:43 AM NHFT
Someone on the Board of the Newmarket Business Association told me today that somehow that proposed new law requiring passports to travel to Canada is already in effect.  Is this true?

IIRC, as I entered Ontario a few days ago on my way to New Hampshire, I was not asked for any ID, although I had my passport ready. I was grilled more than I had anticipated, though. I guess my car full of stuff looked suspicious.  ::) It was actually easier getting back into the U.S., believe it or not.

Friday

Quote from: KBCraig on May 19, 2005, 11:13 AM NHFT
Quote from: president on May 19, 2005, 10:59 AM NHFT
....and the story is fake...but what can you expect from lewrockwell.org

Gee, did you really have to go to snopes to check a story set in the R.J. Squirrel airport, in Frostbite Falls, MN?

Kevin

Geez Louise, am I the only Harold and Maude fan here? Rent it, fercrissakes. It's a classic.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

So do I. I own it, but, except for the 'granny' being named Gordon, I don't get Friday's reference.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Russell Kanning

I can think of many other security measures that can ensure our safety:

Crowd/passenger control:
Ratio of one flight attendant to one passenger (if there are a couple of sky marshalls you can slip in a few more passengers)
No more slender female flight attendants......we need large male martial arts trained samarai warrior types
at least 4 passenger 57s on each flight
no more than 20 passengers per plane
passengers belted and locked into seat during the flight.....attendants can unlock 1 passenger at a time to move about the cabin

absolutely no communication devices
no music that could lead to possible plane rage ...instead soothing muzak or possibly just drug sedation appropriate for the length of the flight
no liberty-oriented in-flight films
no laptop computers or other hand held devices that could be bombs/ignition devices

Airport screening:
Complete strip search (clothes are then bagged and checked for the flight....travelers are then outfitted with orange jumpsuits for the flight)
x-ray for all passengers and MRI scans for "selectees"
absolutely no carry on items.....government pamphlets will be provided for your in-flight reading pleasure

I must be missing dozens of good ideas....

Friday

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on May 29, 2005, 08:27 AM NHFT
So do I. I own it, but, except for the 'granny' being named Gordon, I don't get Friday's reference.

Look at the DVD case, Lloyd! Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort are Maude and Harold.

And oh yeah, Cat Stevens did the whole soundtrack.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

DVD case?  They wern't around when I bought my VHS, but, I'm beginning to catch on.  I'll go back and review the fake Granny story for references to Bud Cort, and, Cat Steven and his tunes, and, then make a decision about Friday's sanity.

Friday

Can't we all be right? The article contained numerous Harold & Maude references... and I'm loony!  :D

AlanM

Quote from: Friday on May 29, 2005, 09:32 AM NHFT
Can't we all be right? The article contained numerous Harold & Maude references... and I'm loony!? :D

Loony?....... You believe in Freedom in an age of state control. It's Sunday, but you are Friday. You are friends with Porcupines........ Next question.

AlanM

Quote from: AlanM on May 29, 2005, 09:37 AM NHFT
Quote from: Friday on May 29, 2005, 09:32 AM NHFT
Can't we all be right? The article contained numerous Harold & Maude references... and I'm loony!? :D

Loony?....... You believe in Freedom in an age of state control. It's Sunday, but you are Friday. You are friends with Porcupines........ Next question.

Of course this is being said by a man who is a Giant Green Anti-Statist who has a tall friend named Shorty who got hit in the backside by the train.................... *sigh* .......... Did I tell you about One-eyed Pete?