• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report, Part 1

Started by FTL_Ian, August 27, 2005, 03:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

hmmmm maybe visitors could tie them to polls or fences

maybe people could send well-wishing posters or letters that could be plastered somewhere

KBCraig

Hang them right on the buildings, flat on the walls.

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 26.

Status of utilities:
electricity      On
gas              On
water           On
phone          Reported to be on, I'm not connected yet.
cable           On

The mail is delivered here by Doug, a tireless whistleblower and a student of local history.  He has numerous first-hand stories about corrupt public officials from the Supreme Court to the local police chief.  He sent me a copy of a local precursor to the Declaration of Independence.  Connecticut Resolutions on the Stamp Act, here are the first 4 lines.

At a meeting of a large assembly of the respectable populace in New London the 10th of December 1765, the following resolves were unanimously come into.
Resolved, 1st. That every form of government rightfully founded, originates from the consent of the people.
2d. That the boundaries set by the people in all constitutions are the only limits within which any officer can lawfully exercise authority.
3d. That whenever those bounds are exceeded, the people have a right to reassume the exercise of that authority which by nature they had before they delegated it to individuals.

If the city government forces it's own citizens out into the winter streets in their stocking feet,
If the city government turns against it's own populace by seizing their property,
If the city government ignores it's duty to preserve it's people's inalienable rights to life, liberty and property,
it cannot be a valid government.  It is a tyrany.

It must follow that taking land, property and even life from a tyrant is not a crime, it is self-preservation. 

This week I have gathered plans and materials to build a visitor's kiosk on a vacant lot here. It's going to be MY lot now.  Here's one of the sheets of plywood I found to build it with:

[attachment deleted by admin]

FTL_Ian

KBCraig

Russell Kanning

"Visitors Welcome - Government forbidden"

I love the idea ...... it isn't the NLDC's land it is yours :D

Russell Kanning

I hope a big storm doesn't hit the area ..... then fema will cut your communication lines and take for guns. :-\

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on September 10, 2005, 08:02 AM NHFT
"Visitors Welcome - Government forbidden"

I love the idea ...... it isn't the NLDC's land it is yours :D

I think Lauren probably agrees that the land really belongs to whomever owned it before NLDC seized it. But since it's now a vacant lot, I agree that it's ripe for seizure by the citizens.

Kevin

Lloyd Danforth

(New London-WTNH, Sept. 13, 2005 6:10 PM) _ New London residents have been told to vacate their properties in 90 days.

The U.S. Supreme Court sided with the city of New London this summer saying it could take the property for development.

But homeowners thought they had more time.

by News Channel 8's Tina Detelj
This is a voluntary moratorium and it basically stated municipalities would not take property by eminent domain until state lawmakers act on it but when you look closely at the moratorium you see it says "new" takings, which does not apply to Fort Trumbull.

"Right now I'm putting the white primer on it."

This Goshen Street home has been in Michael Cristofaro's family for decades and he is outraged by a letter telling his nephew he needs to be out by December 8th.

Michael Cristofaro, New London, says,"My initial reaction is those arrogant _____s. How dare you try to throw us out of our own homes."

But the New London Development Corporation says it has every right to take over these homes because the agency took possession of them through eminent domain back in 2000, a move eventually backed by the US Supreme court this summer.

Michael Joplin, president NLDC, says,"The case is four and a half years old that's number one. Number two the case is over. We've won."

Still some homeowners thought the development corporation had agreed to leave their homes alone until state lawmakers acted on eminent domain. That voluntary moratorium only applies to new takings not to Fort Trumbull.

Michael Christofaro, New London, says,"As far as I know it's supposed to include the Fort Trumbull property owners. if it doesn't I think that's wrong too."

Even though this voluntary moratorium may not affect what happens here at Fort Trumbull what legislators decide when they meet for their new session beginning in February potentially could.

The state lawmakers are considering several bills which address eminent domain.

Michael Joplin says,"Do I think that the legislature will act to change the law in such a way that it affects New London? I think it's highly unlikely."

Christofaro says,"I'm not going anywhere okay. I'm actually starting to paint the house. They'll have to basically rip my fingers from this porch."

A spokesperson for Governor Rell says she backed the moratorium with the hopes the Fort Trumbull homes could be included in it and she believes these evictions violate the spirit of that moratorium.

The Institute for Justice, a Washington-based group that represents the homeowners, says the notices order property owners to vacate in 90 days and start paying rent to the development agency during that period.

They are not eviction notices, which must come from a court.

Dreepa

I shouldn't read this earlier in the morning cuz it just makes me pissed. :'(

Kat Kanning

Michael Joplin                   
35 Union St
New London, CT
(860) 447-4587

Leichtman unlisted.

Kat Kanning

Maybe this:  Jeff Leichtman. +1-617-747-1769  If this is the same guy, he was working on the big dig also.

Kat Kanning

New London Development Corporation
165 State Street, Suite 313 -- New London, CT 06320
Phone: (860) 447-8011 -- Fax: (860) 447-3833

BTW, they are a 501c3 charitable organization and welcome your cash donations.  http://nldc.org/aboutus/nldc_org_fun.htm

Lloyd Danforth

Is there a national effort to get concernerned people to occupy Ft. Trumbull when this comes down?
It will be very cold there in December!