• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report, Part 2

Started by Michael Fisher, September 25, 2005, 09:16 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 25, 2005, 11:50 PM NHFT
Alright, now the video is down to 6MB, but the quality is pretty low.? Let me know if you want the video clip.

We mostly just didn't want to lose the clip from their website. The streaming one is very nice .... you can blow it up to full screen. 8)
I will send you an email for a copy .... maybe you could send one to the fsp also ..... they love a good action story.

Kat Kanning

I gather the others got off the stairs and she didn't.

Kat Kanning

Small Group Protests On The Behalf Of Mute Activist

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=6f842bbe-461c-4c95-8e6b-72efdd93be77
Published on 9/26/2005

East Lyme ? A small group of demonstrators patrolled the front of the Janet S. York Correctional Institution on Sunday afternoon holding up signs and demanding that the woman arrested at last week's New London City Council meeting be released from prison.

The group of about 10 people Sunday was a mix of New Hampshire activists and those from New London, including Michael Cristofaro, one of the plaintiffs in the eminent domain case and a City Council candidate.

Lauren Ann Canario, 48, was arrested last Monday night and charged with first-degree trespass, refusal to be fingerprinted, and interfering with a police officer after she refused to leave a City Hall stairwell following the cancellation of a City Council meeting.

When Canario refused to speak at her second court hearing Thursday, Judge Hillary Strackbein doubled Canario's bond to $10,000 and Canario was transferred from a holding cell to York; her next court date is Oct. 7.

?Her charges are less than her punishment,? said Mike Fisher of New Market, N.H. Fisher is a participant in the Free State Project, a New Hampshire-based nonprofit that wants to reduce the role of government and opposes eminent domain.

At some point they are going to have to make the decision to let her go. We think they should get over what she initially did, which was refusing to leave a public meeting ... just find her guilty if you have to, just say, ?Look, you're guilty. Time served. You're free.' Something like that, and just let her out.?

Avner Gregory of New London asked how someone could be arrested for trespass in City Hall and said the City Council should look into the issue. He called it a ?crime? for Canario's bail to be doubled and asked why Canario should be jailed this long.

?There are people caught with guns and they're out the next day,? Gregory said.

A resident of Las Vegas, Nev., Canario has been renting from one of the Fort Trumbull property owners in an effort to take his side in the eminent domain battle.

president

BillG

QuoteWe think they should get over what she initially did, which was refusing to leave a public meeting ...

in order for her to have a right to attend a public meeting, in a public building, on public land don't you have to argue the legitmacy of "public" space?

Lloyd Danforth

There was a short story about it on the local Fox station WTIC-TV. I taped it and will put it in the mail today.
The station has, at least, not yet, ?included it in their video archives, but, I am including a link to them as they have archived video of earlier ED stuff.

http://fox61.trb.com/news/wtic-news-videogallery,0,4709483.videogallery?coll=wtic-news-1&track=newslink

Kat Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: katdillon on September 26, 2005, 07:22 AM NHFT

Maybe we need Mime Activists...
Now that would be sure to annoy. ;D

Lloyd Danforth

It's hard enough to get the word out, now, the way we are doing it!

president

?Her charges are less than her punishment,? said Mike Fisher of New Market, N.H. Fisher is a participant in the Free State Project, a New Hampshire-based nonprofit that wants to reduce the role of government and opposes eminent domain.

Someone better demand a correction!  The FSP is a Clark County, Nevada based nonprofit that doesn't support or oppose anything.

"At some point they are going to have to make the decision to let her go. We think they should get over what she initially did, which was refusing to leave a public meeting ... just find her guilty if you have to, just say, ?Look, you're guilty. Time served. You're free.' Something like that, and just let her out.?
They can't just declare someone is guilty. You want the charge nolle prossed, declared that a legal case will not be prosecuted.

Russell Kanning

maybe we should have refused to talk to the cops :)

Dreepa

Quote from: president on September 26, 2005, 09:03 AM NHFT

Someone better demand a correction!? The FSP is a Clark County, Nevada based nonprofit that doesn't support or oppose anything.

"At some point they are going to have to make the decision to let her go. We think they should get over what she initially did, which was refusing to leave a public meeting ... just find her guilty if you have to, just say, ?Look, you're guilty. Time served. You're free.' Something like that, and just let her out.?
They can't just declare someone is guilty. You want the charge nolle prossed, declared that a legal case will not be prosecuted.

Ah but they did say he was a participant and not a member.... ;)

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 26, 2005, 07:38 AM NHFT
There was a short story about it on the local Fox station WTIC-TV. I taped it and will put it in the mail today.
The station has, at least, not yet, ?included it in their video archives, but, I am including a link to them as they have archived video of earlier ED stuff.

http://fox61.trb.com/news/wtic-news-videogallery,0,4709483.videogallery?coll=wtic-news-1&track=newslink

Can someone copy the tape for me?

OR can someone rip the tape's video and audio into digital format?  I want to figure out how to do that.   >:D

Then we could have anyone who records the news send us a copy of the tape and we could just upload it.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: Roger Grant on September 26, 2005, 06:19 AM NHFT
Thanks to all who made the trip!
I wish I could have been there.
You guys and gals are the type of people I can align my family's future with. It will give other people hope for a brighter tomorrow for our freedoms.

Thanks Lauren for taking a stand for others to be inspired by.

Do you care if we use part of this quote for the front page?   :)

Michael Fisher

From Google News this morning:

Group protests meeting trespass arrest
Newsday, NY - 5 hours ago
EAST LYME, Conn. -- A group of people turned out Sunday in front of a prison in East Lyme in support of a woman jailed after her ...

Group pickets prison where eminent domain protestor held
WTNH, CT - 6 hours ago
(East Lyme-AP, Sept. 26, 2005 7:14 AM) _ A small group of people turned out in front of a prison in East Lyme in support of a woman ...

TheDay (subscription), CT - 7 hours ago
East Lyme ? A small group of demonstrators patrolled the front of the Janet S. York Correctional Institution on Sunday afternoon holding up signs and ...

8)

I'm writing up the 09-25-05 Kelo Report right now.? Everyone else who was there please feel free to write your own report about it as well.? Fort Trumbull property owners and possibly the media are all watching this thread for our reports.