• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report, Part 3

Started by Michael Fisher, August 27, 2005, 01:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluff and Stuff

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060221/pl_usatoday/ohiocommunitytestseminentdomain;_ylt=AjFAxkPijg8RtqgeDet9qR8b.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NGRzMjRtBHNlYwMxNjk5

Ohio community tests eminent domain By Dennis Cauchon, USA TODAY
Mon Feb 20, 9:04 PM ET

Joe Horney used a small inheritance from his grandparents to make a down payment on a $63,900 house in 1991.

He lived in the house for a while, fixed it up and rented it out for 10 years. He went on to manage construction of luxury homes and own other rental properties.

Then came Sept. 28, 2002. In a penthouse office overlooking Horney's rental property, a developer told local residents that he wanted to buy all the homes on the block, tear them down and build condos, retail shops and parking garages.

A PowerPoint presentation made clear what would happen to those who refused to sell: eminent domain. The city of Norwood would use its governmental power to transfer ownership of the property from uncooperative owners to the developer.

Horney, 36, got angry and left the meeting. "From that moment on, my mind was made up," he says. "They can't take my property just because they want to. That's not right."

Now, his case is before the Ohio Supreme Court in an important test of how far governments can go in using the power of eminent domain. It's the first such case to reach a state's high court since the     U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a 5-4 decision in June that the Constitution did not prohibit New London, Conn., from confiscating waterfront homes to promote economic development.

State and local governments traditionally have confiscated private land to build roads, schools and other public facilities. In return for what the Constitution calls "just compensation" to the property owners, governments in recent years have used eminent domain to turn over property to private developers to rebuild neighborhoods with shops, office buildings and new homes.

The neighborhoods are often economically depressed, but sometimes they are not. Cities have labeled farmland, waterfront homes and middle-class neighborhoods as "blighted" and subject to eminent domain.

Highway split town in two

Norwood is a town of 21,000 residents tucked in 3 square miles entirely surrounded by Cincinnati.

It has become a focus in the nationwide debate on eminent domain because the battle moved to state courts and legislatures following the Supreme Court ruling.

Mayor Tom Williams says the city would suffer if it didn't use its condemnation powers for the shopping and condo development.

"We're an old industrial town that has to reinvent itself to survive," says Williams, 66, a lifelong resident and former police chief.

Norwood lost a General Motors plant in 1987. It has been losing population and was fundamentally changed 35 years ago, when Interstate 75 was built through the middle of town. The neighborhood on one side of the highway started to deteriorate, becoming home to bars and auto repair shops, Williams says.

A developer built two successful upscale shopping centers - including stores such as Ann Taylor and Gap - and an office building in the struggling area in the 1990s. Now, he wants to expand onto neighboring blocks - and that's where Horney's property stands.

"We've never used eminent domain for this before," the mayor says. "We don't sit back and say, 'Hey, how can we get national publicity about what bad guys we are?' This is good for all of Norwood."

Three owners hold out

Sixty-five of 77 properties were sold to the developer before the city began using eminent domain. Only three of the dozen resistant property owners have refused to settle. "We followed the law," Williams says. "We've been upheld in the courts. We paid people more than their property would sell for on the open market."

A jury ruled that Horney's property - a three-story house built on one-tenth of an acre in 1925 - was worth $233,000. The money sits in a court bank account, not collecting interest, because Horney has refused to collect his compensation.

"This is a matter of principle. I wouldn't sell for $1 million," says Horney, who has spent $70,000 in legal fees and received free help provided by the Institute of Justice, a libertarian public-interest law firm that has led the fight against eminent domain.

A court injunction prevents the developer - who now holds the title to Horney's vacant property - from tearing down the house and another one nearby. The two-block area used to lie in a working-class neighborhood of single-family homes. Now it has been surrounded by a metal fence. The street is closed.

Other than the construction zone, the neighborhood doesn't appear blighted. A piano shop has opened in a newly renovated brick building. Two local lounges serve customers. There are occupied homes, a wine store, a hairdresser and other businesses.

"The developer wants my property for the same reason I do: It's in a good location," Horney says.

The Ohio Supreme Court is expected to rule this summer.

KBCraig

It's a shame he's standing by himself, but good for him!

Kevin

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: KBCraig on February 21, 2006, 12:50 AM NHFT
It's a shame he's standing by himself, but good for him!

Kevin

Yes, he is a good man.  ED has long been used against the poor and most people (sadly) seem to support this.  It is good that the middle class are starting to speak out against ED (of course, it took ED happening to them for it to happen).

KBCraig

Quote from: TN-FSP on February 21, 2006, 12:55 AM NHFT
ED has long been used against the poor and most people (sadly) seem to support this.  It is good that the middle class are starting to speak out against ED (of course, it took ED happening to them for it to happen).

In this article about an interstate highway in Arkansas, I made the following comment:

People don't cheer so loudly for big highway projects when their homes get bulldozed to make room.

Eminent domain is theft. If you support it, why not cut out the middleman? Don't send the sheriff to do you dirty work: go force your neighbors out at gunpoint on your own. Give them what you feel like paying, and tell them to shut up and take it.

That's what your friendly "progressive" government does on your behalf every time you want a new highway built.

KBCraig

Quote from: TN-FSP on February 21, 2006, 10:35 AM NHFT
I liked into the 1-69 route and it does not seem to be needed.  I think the government is just doing it for fun.

Yeah, the big joke for decades about the I-530 extension is that it's a highway to nowhere.

The KATV site only allows you to comment once per story. Shame, because I was going to respond to "hopefull" with this:

Thanks, hopefull. When are you showing up at my sister's house in Mena, forcing her out at gunpoint so the bulldozers can do their job?

Her beautiful home on a hilltop, which she has worked on for two decades turning into a showcase, is marked as the centerline for I49. It's a horrible site for a highway, being on top of a hill, but she's not politically connected like the owners of more suitable land.

Eminent domain is theft. When you support it, you're an armed robber, except you're too cowardly to do the job yourself; you send the sheriff instead.

When a group of armed men tell you they're making you an offer you can't refuse, and that you have to take it and get out because they want your property, does it matter if it's the government or the mafia? What's the difference in this case?

TackleTheWorld

Hi, Lauren here, resident of the embattled Ft. Trumbull neighborhood of New London, Connecticut.  Day 193.

Status of utilities:
electricity     On
gas             On
water           On
phone           On
cable           On

Hey I need help with sign ideas.
The evil quasi-government agency, NLDC is having a party here in the Fort Trumbull neighborhood on Monday 27 Feb.  They are demolishing part of a navy office building to show progress in their economic development.  They are desparate to show progress, any progress at all.
There are bill boards in the neighborhood that party-goers would see on the way to the event.  What should they say?

How about:

NLDC, Turning neighborhoods into vacant lots since 2000

NLDC, All destruction, no construction

NLDC, Not a damn thing built since 2000

Any ideas?

Kat Kanning

Destruction is not progress.

Russell Kanning

NLDC, Turning neighborhoods into vacant lots since 2000

:)

JonM

The NDLC, Destroying the American Dream since 2000.

Ron Helwig

NLDC, taking your property for Big Business

NLDC, Fascism starts at home

We're NLDC - we care nothing for your rights!

New London Destruction Cartel

Lloyd Danforth

Lauren, if that is the building I think it is just north of you could you post some images of it to show just how new it is and how large.
Lloyd

TackleTheWorld

The NLDC is not demolishing the whole thing, just an overhang not pictured here.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Russell Kanning

That overhang with the open side looks crazy.

Maybe we could fly a plane into the side with a bunch of fuel in it and see how fast it falls.