• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kelo Report, Part 3

Started by Michael Fisher, August 27, 2005, 01:20 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Pat K on September 24, 2005, 10:38 PM NHFT
So now we are diagnosing people? Have you not said something when you are pissed that you did notmeen Lloyd?

WHAT? Why you fucking idiot!... I oughta....

Er....no...nothing like what he said, an idea that he had to be carrying around in his head, at some level.

At least not since I was a child. :-*

Michael Fisher

Alright, look... Jim slipped up.  He was not in his normal state of mind.  He regrets it.

I just spent half an hour on the phone with him (around midnight!) to formulate a retraction of his earlier statements.  I have an official retraction from him.  Now I only need to form it into a press release or something similar, and I need to get in touch with the "Day" reporter who wrote this article (ETHAN ROUEN, Day Staff Writer, Police/Fire Reporter).

I'll start working on the press release here.

Tom Sawyer

I think that most of what I have read in this discussion is missing the point.

---Dressed in a green prison uniform and unlaced white sneakers with her hands and feet shackled together, Canario's large black eyes were calm, her face halcyon, as Judge Hillary Strackbein and prosecutors tried to extract information from her.

?I don't know what to do with this,? Strackbein said before scheduling another court appearance for Oct. 7.

When asked how long she plans to remain in prison, Canario smirked and shrugged.---

I had a brief conversation with Lauren, who I had just met, at the PorcFest. I mentioned that I thought not cooperating in your own defense in front of a judge created problems for the system. Judges are reluctant to proceed without the appearance of a fair process. So, without a lawyer etc. it kind of throws the whole procedure and removes (what I think the system most needs) the sanction of the victim.
If you can put up with being locked up, the judge is more troubled by the none cooperation than the prisoner is.
Now, it can be discussed and debated till we're blue in the face wether this was the right time for her to make her stand. But, it is her life and her decision.
All this bickering, squabbling and even threatening is--frankly an embarrassment.
Is she a hero or just crazy, my short encounter with her suggests the former. Maybe, like a lot of us, she just can't stomach anymore of the bullshit. But, it doesn't matter, she sure has lit a fire under your asses.
As for me, a former Marine, I give praise to the courage of her actions. And I admit she has bigger balls than me!

Michael Fisher

I'll be the second person to say it:

Lauren is a hero.

And yes, she sure just lit a huge fire under our asses.   :o ;D

THIS is the type of stuff I live for!  :)

Michael Fisher

I think I found the reporter's phone number and e-mail address.  I'm proceeding with the retraction article now.

Michael Fisher

Edit:  oops, I was only the third person to call Lauren a hero.   :)  Someone on the FSP forums called her a hero 3 and a half hours ago.  ;)

tracysaboe

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on September 24, 2005, 07:45 PM NHFT
She may not have planned her imprisonment, but, she planned on getting arrested and must have know that not cooperating would lead to them keeping her.

At least some of the FT. T.  property owners didn't get in and managed not to get arrested.

They didn't just refuse to let in anti-ED people, they simply ran out of space.

Oh please, government bought fire-marshals are just as politically motivated as any other government beurocrat.

Michael Fisher

How's this?

Mike Fisher, 603-498-7935

From NHFree.com
DRAFT ONLY:? NOT FOR RELEASE

Eminent Domain Protestor Seen as a 'Hero'

New London, CT, September 25, 2005 - Eminent domain protestor Lauren Canario was arrested on Monday night after refusing to leave City Hall when the police blocked her and a large group of others from entering a "public" city council meeting.

Many libertarian activists, people present during Canario's arrest, and one person who attended Monday's meeting believe the room was filled with the New London Development Corporation's "cronies" so the public could not attend.  It is believed that Canario's protests led to the cancellation of the city council meeting that night.

The city council meeting was rescheduled for the next day and the location changed so more people could attend, but the location of the meeting was never announced.  This technicality made the meeting illegal.  It is hoped by libertarian activists that several members of the NLDC Board will be ousted for recently sending eviction notices to Fort Trumbull property owners despite the national uproar over the NLDC's attempts to take the properties.

On Monday night, Canario was charged with criminal trespass, refusal to be fingerprinted, and interfering with police.  For six days, she has left the court, judge, and police in disarray over her refusal to speak or walk when commanded to do so.  "I don't know what to do with this," Judge Hillary Strackbein said on Friday during Canario's second silent court appearance.

Libertarian activists have a simple explanation for Canario's actions as well as her peaceful smile and relaxed attitude.  "Lauren is following in the footsteps of other famous civil rights activists by performing an overt act of nonviolent noncooperation," Mike Fisher explains.  Fisher is a civil rights activist from New Hampshire affiliated with Canario.  "With her actions, she is following the path of Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and others."

'Satyagraha', or 'nonviolent noncooperation' was the official name of Gandhi's campaigns for Indian independence from British rule.  Gandhi's most notable actions included breaking countless British laws, fasting, and promoting nonviolence in India.  "He is known for defeating the British empire without firing a single shot," affirms Fisher.  "Gandhi spent over 1,500 days in prison during his lifetime and the result was complete freedom from British colonial rule for his country."

"Likewise," Fisher said, "I believe Canario is simply refusing to cooperate with the government to an unprecedented extent.  Her spirit is so strong that you can see it in her eyes and her peaceful smile."  "She is doing what many of us only wish we could muster the courage to do:  refusing to speak, walk, or give fingerprints when commanded to do so; refusing to cooperate with even the most simple government demands; refusing to be treated like a slave any longer.  She is literally driving a monkey wrench into the system."

"Lauren is a hero in my eyes.  The only thing the government can do is let her go.  Her actions are negligible relative to her punishment.  Compare her actions to her trumped-up charges, then think about how long they've held her in that women's prison, and you begin to wonder why they don't just let her go."

Carrying "Free Lauren Canario" signs, several members of the New Hampshire Underground (NHFree.com) made the trip to the York women's prison on Sunday to protest in support of Canario.

In a telephone interview on Saturday night, Jim Johnson, a smiling, artistic man prone to jokes and exaggeration, and Canario's husband of 27 years, verified Canario's stated intentions of nonviolent action and retracted some of his previously published comments.

"What I said that day, it was just a phase.  I was angry for a loved one and I made some exaggerated comments about violence that didn't even make any sense.  I wasn't serious, I didn't think they'd print my sarcastic remarks, and I can't believe anyone would take it seriously," Johnson declared.  "Of course I don't intend to 'kill everyone on Earth'," he added with a laugh.  "I'm a nonviolent man and I was just very upset that day."

Regarding Canario's actions, Johnson said, "I support nonviolent noncooperation one hundred percent, and I support Lauren's actions one thousand percent."  Johnson also claimed Canario has been carefully studying recent acts of civil disobedience by activists in New Hampshire.  "Lauren has been listening to Free Talk Live every night, reading the New Hampshire Underground forums, and talking about civil disobedience.  I think she has a lot of respect for the people doing acts of nonviolent noncooperation in New Hampshire."

"People have a human right to remain silent.  Silence isn't a crime, and demanding to be allowed into a public meeting isn't a crime either.  I really can't understand why they don't just let her go after being in prison for a week now.  What are they waiting for?"

# # #

DRAFT ONLY:? NOT FOR RELEASE

Mike Fisher, 603-498-7935

Michael Fisher

Let me know what you think about this.? Should I add more quotes to the article from different people like others on the NH Underground?

I also need to get the exact quotes approved by Jim, although they are what he said in general.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: FTL_Ian on September 24, 2005, 10:41 PM NHFT
Quote from: WinBear on September 24, 2005, 10:33 PM NHFT
Back to your point ... is there a legal defense fund set up?? Does Lauren have a good lawyer?? Anyone contact the ACLU and see if those clowns want to take this on?? Anyone contact the FIJA?? Any calls to Professor Randy Barnett? Anyone briefing the Media regularly on behalf of Lauren and James (since James may not be the right guy to do that)?? Any organizing of street protests?

No, Don't know (the one she has she is not speaking to either, so I presume that means he's a government lawyer), Don't know, Don't know, Who?, We hear from the homeowners regularly on FTL.. they are doing a great job keeping us abreast.? Media outside CT don't give a hoot except for FTL., and Yes, tomorrow thanks to the NHFree crew!

The lawyer was retained by von Winkle.

Quote from: SethCohn on September 21, 2005, 06:04 AM NHFT
http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=ea7fb3cc-c105-414e-9c30-23cbecfbaadc

Eminent Domain Protester ?believes Absolutely In What She's Doing'
Woman declines legal help after her arrest for refusing to leave NL City Hall
By RICK KOSTER
Published on 9/21/2005
Von Winkle hired New London attorney Renee Houle to represent Canario, but he said Tuesday afternoon that Houle had withdrawn representation.

And, BTW, all lawyers are "officers of the court" so they are all "government lawyers."

Russell Kanning

Quote from: LeRuineur6 on September 24, 2005, 11:45 PM NHFT... and I need to get in touch with the "Day" reporter who wrote this article (ETHAN ROUEN, Day Staff Writer, Police/Fire Reporter).

The main reporter following this is

By TED MANN
Day Staff Writer, Politics/Government
Published on 9/20/2005

Russell Kanning

Quote from: patmccotter on September 25, 2005, 04:20 AM NHFTThe lawyer was retained by von Winkle.

Bill said last night that he wants to get a lawyer for Lauren and that Jim wants it too. He will try to get a message to Lauren.
He is not sure if Lauren refused his lawyer or if she thought it was a government appointed lawyer. I mentioned to him that it is possible Lauren doesn't want one at all. But we have never spoken about civil dis strategy before ..... so I don't know what she is thinking.

He also mentioned that he thinks we can see Lauren coming or going from court on 10/7 between 10am and 4pm. We will have time to discuss this.

Poly is so right .... she is messing with thier whole system quite nicely. I have already learned a thing or 2 from her and she is not speaking. :D

Russell Kanning

"Many libertarian activists"

That is an oxymoron .... it will confuse the public ...... and make the libertarians (liberty talkers) angry. ;)

" She is literally driving a monkey wrench into the system."

I think you throw monkey wrenchs and drive wedges. :)

Kat Kanning

Sounds good Mike.  I would send it.

Kat Kanning

Did you see this from Mike Lorrey?

What were the circumstances of this? Are they claiming she made some
sort of hostile statement or something?

If someone from my area is heading down there tomorrow, please call me
at 863-8490, as I'd like to carpool with you (I'm in the end-game
stages of my license battles with the NH dept of public safety and
can't drive).