• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Free State" game would simulate 2050 New Hampshire

Started by Dave Ridley, July 30, 2012, 07:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Dave Ridley

Once we have multiplayer support where different people can battle it out inside the same universe ...  and some static bases on each side to raid... plus a log of each side's wins and losses....   I will be able to issue a challenge to everyone out there

I'll probably join the NEU side (since it's likely to be outnumbered).  I'll announce that New Hampshire is under seige, I'm taking down her bases and what are you going to do about it??!!!  Then one or two folks will join INH and start retaliating. Even if they're not on at the same time as me their actions will count just as much and a conflict will begin that can last until you reset or something.   After that our player base will start to grow and people may start to volunteer as helpers.  That's the plan anyway; I think it is humble enough to be doable. 

Errol

I imagine the bases will serve as a place for drones to emerge. Is there any other way the bases should be a part of the game play?

If you want to keep the drones unmanned, perhaps the player can emerge from a base to retrieve one (any one may do), bring it back and relaunch from a base. Maybe a secondary game where players can steal the downed drones from each other and attempt to get them back to the base as quickly as possible. Just a random idea.

Errol

I imagine the most difficult part for me will be implementing the multiplayer aspect of this.  I have not done anything like this since college, and that was for a game of battleship. I might have to discover some of the pitfalls the hard way.

Dave Ridley

I really like that at first blush if it's not too complicated for you...  So maybe....Drone crashes...now no one has control over it.  The pilot of the drone was actually in the main base all along and must walk or drive from the base and collect the nearest crashed drone. When she rendevous her body with any crashed drone this way , her "body" is teleported back to her team's main base and the drone takes off with her in conctrol of it.  That seems like the simple way to do it for now.  later we can make the hike to the crashed drone more interesting.  and for now all we need is the one main base on each side. I guess having your side destroy the opposing base would win the match, just like crashing 100 enemy drones would. 

Errol

Perhaps the base itself need not be the target but perhaps the antenna/dish attached to it. A way of removing communication between the base and the drones (keeping with the no human targets theme).

Dave Ridley

I like it! It's even starting to sound like something parents might like for their kids.... although the chat window would be the biggest danger to kid friendliness.  The kids tank game I tried once would not allow chat but forbidding or restricting chat could get really complicated and trash the game.

Dave Ridley

another thought, more of an explanation for those of you wondering why the units shoot out the side instead of the front.   This creates a situation where you can see your opponents quite a bit, without immediately dying..  For instance in WW2 online , Project Blackout or even infantry to some extent... once you are in visual range of the opponent you can die at any second. 

Forward guns may eventually be added. But with even the presence of side shooting, a more ciruclar type of combat will develop, as opposed to the sort of head on drudgery I've found in other games.  Perhaps a third of engagements will not result in any real victories and escape will be at least a possibility if you wish it.  Dodging beams becomes viable here as well, something impractical in the games listed above. Even with Silent Death you couldn't really dodge and fight.  I just like adding these fairly unusual elements to the shooting part, and I can't find them all in any game out there. 

Errol

Another evolution

http://www.errolpelchat.com/DroneGame/

Updated To do List:

1. Add antennas to Shoot at.
2. Create basic respawn when a drone is downed.
3. Change game victory condition to the destruction of enemy antennas.
4. Add bases for drones to launch from.
5. Add drone retrieval game play.
6. Add multi-player functionality.
7. Add introductory screen/login/options menu.
8. Improve AI.
9. Add Chat.
10. Improve graphics.
11. Improve sound.
12. Add full screen capability.

I'm also thinking about limiting the rate of fire and to force the player to only fire when needed.

Dave Ridley

LOL that's hilarious ... Errol has turned the sound effects I made with my mouth for the video about this... into the actual sounds for the game and it actually sounds kind of... alright!   Always plenty more where that came from.   To claim being super impressed with myself is probably not appropriate but I'm super impressed with what you've done Errol!

I would say that reducing the top speed  both forward and backward is still more important than the graphics...

Also , although base antenna de-activation would achieve victory, we should probably make it so that if your side has a certain number of drones deactivated...that results in a victory for the other team. 

I like your ideas on paper but might change my mind about one or two once we see them in flight.

Errol

Now with slower Drones!

http://www.errolpelchat.com/DroneGame/

Also added antennas, but they are just for show at this point.

Errol

Errol

I'm going to work on a version which will allow you to tweek some of the game characteristics, and then you can report back to me where you would like things to be.

This project is turning out to be as much fun as I thought.

dalebert

Are the missiles supposed to come out the side of the ship?

Dave Ridley

Yes the bolts are supposed to fire out the side; that is the primary initial difference between this game and others.  The reasons for that are listed a few posts earlier.  We'll add weps for all four different directions later probably but I believe the mere presence of side shooting beam will make them the most commonly used weapons and I essensially can't find any other games that have this.  Thanks for trying it out Dale!   Now I'm going to go try and blow up the radar dish...