• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

I got a job (for 5 weeks)

Started by Raineyrocks, August 30, 2012, 09:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Raineyrocks on September 08, 2012, 05:08 PM NHFT
Wow, I can't believe this, we went back up to the campground and Rick's plan to bend the key didn't work and then to make everything worse we checked the other 3 bathrooms and I did the same thing to the other padlocks on those toilet paper roll bars.

Does anyone have any idea of what else can be done, please?

Maybe the guys at the camp ground have done that before and they have an easy fix for it.
Can you give us a picture so we know what the problem is?

I know, dangling participle, concentrate on the real problem people.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on September 08, 2012, 05:33 PM NHFT
You can leave little stacks of napkins on top of the toilet tanks, just like they do at McDonald's when they can't replace the secured toilet paper rolls there.   ;D

I thought about that and it's an excellent idea temporarily so that people can wipe themselves, but I pretty much ruined the campground owner's toilet paper roll holders in multiple bathrooms and I owe him for what I've done.

I just found out today because I haven't had to put new toilet paper on the rolls for a few days now and while Rick was there with me he said, "Who was dumb enough to put the locks upside down?"  :'( 

It's a big silver bar that holds 4 rolls of toilet paper and then has a lock on it.  I asked the owner why he locks the toilet paper and he said people steal the toilet paper if he doesn't keep the bar locked.  :-\   I asked him that question before I knew what I did and messed up everything, I figure there may be 3 days max before new toilet paper has to be put on the bars.  :P

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 08, 2012, 05:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on September 08, 2012, 05:08 PM NHFT
Wow, I can't believe this, we went back up to the campground and Rick's plan to bend the key didn't work and then to make everything worse we checked the other 3 bathrooms and I did the same thing to the other padlocks on those toilet paper roll bars.

Does anyone have any idea of what else can be done, please?

Maybe the guys at the camp ground have done that before and they have an easy fix for it.
Can you give us a picture so we know what the problem is?

I know, dangling participle, concentrate on the real problem people.

According to Rick, he doesn't think anyone has ever done something like this so I don't know.  If Rick can't fix them I am going to have to tell the owner what I've done, I'm scared though.  The padlocks have, Master written on them and Rick said that I should've never put the word Master upside down.

I can try to draw you a mental picture of the problem.  :)   It's a long silver bar that holds 4 rolls of toilet paper and then there are 2 holes on the end of each of the bars, so the padlock goes through these 2 holes and then the hook of the padlock goes into the other end of the lock to lock the lock.  Lock, lock, lock, I know, I'm sorry I just don't know how else to explain it. :-[ 

So when I replace empty toilet paper rolls I unlock the padlock and slide the bar out, put the new rolls of toilet paper on and that's where I messed up by putting the padlock upside down.   Now there's no room to fit a key in the top of the padlock keyhole because it's too close to the top of the silver bar.

Jim Johnson

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 08, 2012, 08:48 PM NHFT
Do you have duplicate keys?

I don't know for sure, but my guess would be no.   I could always ask the owner but I'm trying to avoid this and hopefully Rick can fix it but I'm just not sure how. 

Rick was thinking of cutting the part of the silver bars where the locks are and then drilling 2 new holes but I'd definitely have to ask the owner before altering any thing of his.

I'm trying my best to figure something out so the owner doesn't have to know how dumb I am.  What's your idea with the keys?  Maybe I could have duplicates made, I'm not sure.

Jim Johnson

Get a duplicate key... have one made.
Cut the key so that a little bit of the key sticks out of the keyhole.
Insert that part of the key into the lock and turn it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 08, 2012, 09:10 PM NHFT
Get a duplicate key... have one made.
Cut the key so that a little bit of the key sticks out of the keyhole.
Insert that part of the key into the lock and turn it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I just told Rick your idea and he thinks it just might work, thanks Jim!  :D

Jim Johnson

Raineyrocks

KBCraig

Pat K

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on September 08, 2012, 10:42 PM NHFT
Johnson to the rescue!

Yay, my hero !  :)  Rick is at the hardware store right now and hopefully he comes home with another key.  :)

Raineyrocks

Raineyrocks

Rick went to every store that makes keys and they can't make a duplicate of Master padlock keys.  :'(

WithoutAPaddle

Do the padlocks have 3 digit numbers on the bottoms, next to the key holes?  Master used to send out bulk quantities of "keyed alike" locks for low security applications, and used the same numbers so often that you usually could just go into a store and find one and buy it to get the key.  The instructions with the lock said to erase it, but for that matter, the number should be on the key.  I remember 216 and 150 were the two most common key numbers for their smallest padlocks.

When you say you went to places that copied keys, nowadays those are nearly all "home centers".  I'm sure a for-really-real locksmith could copy one, but not for the $1.89 or whatever that Home Depot charges.

If you want a key to cut and file, you can buy a replacement one here: http://www.padlockoutlet.com/Keys/

And here is the FAQ page on Master Lock's own site regarding key replacement:

http://www.masterlock.com/faq/LostKeysKeyReplacement/