• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Backyard chickens catching on in NH

Started by KBCraig, March 20, 2013, 03:13 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Good article. When I get there full time, we're definitely going to be raising chickens for eggs. Meat too -- but Mrs. Craig is a self-avowed big old hypocrite when it comes to meat. If she's fed a critter, she can't eat it, so we will probably do some swapping.

http://www.eagletribune.com/latestnews/x1533630636/Chickens-hatching-on-in-New-Hampshire

Backyard chicken flocks grow in popularity
By Alex Lippa
alippa@eagletribune.com The Eagle Tribune Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT

If Erica Layon had been told three years ago that she would have chickens in her backyard, she would have scoffed at the idea.

"I would have told you, you were insane," the Derry resident said.

Today, Layon owns more than 20 chickens, which she raises for eggs and meat.

"There is such a huge difference between my egg and a store's egg," she said. "I could never go back to eating store eggs."

Layon is just one of many who have recently started raising chickens. The New Hampshire Department of Agriculture doesn't keep statistics on just how popular it is, but it's clear it's on the rise.

"It's clear from all the calls we get that more people are raising chickens," said Cindy Heisler, who works in the animal industry division at the New Hampshire Department of Agriculture. "More and more people want to raise locally."

Bud Evans, the owner of Derry Feed and Supply, said chickens have been flying off the shelves recently.

"It's been more popular than ever," Evans said. "They've gotten hot over the last four or five years. People want to prep their own food source."

But in some towns it remains difficult to raise chickens at home. In Londonderry, the livestock ordinance requires a minimum of 2 acres to keep chickens and other livestock.

"We want to protect neighbors against noise and smell," said Mary Wing-Soares, a member of the town's Planning Board. "I think we have a standard in place and I don't think we should compromise our standard."

But the chicken owners disagree with ordinances such as those.

"There is a lot of misinformation out there, which people can get from television or children's books," said Michael Choquette, secretary for the New Hampshire Poultry Fanciers Association. "A barking dog can make just as much noise as a rooster can."

Layon said cleanliness shouldn't be an issue.

"If you have someone not taking care of birds, that's the only time there's an issue with it being unsanitary," she said. "I don't think that's an issue that should be resolved by zoning."

Evans said he hopes Londonderry officials eventually reconsider their current rules.

"This is New Hampshire, the Live Free or Die state," he said. "I know neighbors want everything to be perfect, but that's not how things work."

In Kingston, residents overwhelmingly showed which side of the debate they were on at the polls last week. A proposal which would have restricted livestock on properties less than 2 acres was shot down, 626-294.

MaineShark

Quote from: KBCraig on March 20, 2013, 03:13 AM NHFTGood article. When I get there full time, we're definitely going to be raising chickens for eggs. Meat too -- but Mrs. Craig is a self-avowed big old hypocrite when it comes to meat. If she's fed a critter, she can't eat it, so we will probably do some swapping.

Get some really annoying and aggressive roosters.  That'll cause her to change her mind... she'll be out there with an axe, chasing them around the yard...

Quote from: KBCraig on March 20, 2013, 03:13 AM NHFT"We want to protect neighbors against noise and smell," said Mary Wing-Soares, a member of the town's Planning Board.

Really?  The anti-bird quote they got is from someone named, "Wing-Soares?"  If someone proposes a new jogging track, will the quoted opponent be someone named, "Foote-Payne?"