• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Unadillawood v. real cordwood

Started by KBCraig, October 11, 2012, 08:56 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

So, when MaineShark and PassionatePantherrr were at the house on Saturday, they mentioned using firelogs on occasion, which are like big wood pellets, 3" diameter by 8" long. I don't recall if they mentioned the brand name, but Unadillawood is the brand made in NH.

They're currently advertised on Craigslist for $320, which I think is for one ton. They claim a ton is equal to more than a cord of dry wood. Given that all the cordwood I can find ranges from $200/cord (you pick up and haul) to $300 delivered, it seems like a decent deal.

Anyone else tried it?

Tom Sawyer

Never used it, we have lots of trees... However, that stuff seems like it might be better than cordwood.

Cleaner, drier, very dense. Drier would be a significant benefit... it's shocking how much energy is used to boil the moisture out of wood. Easily 1/3 to a 1/2 of the heat available in the wood can be wasted if you have to use damp wood.

Jim Johnson

It has a manufactured denseness, it should be better than random cord wood.

Russell Kanning

KBCraig

Lancaster Floral Design & Garden Center has split kiln-dried wood (less than 20% moisture) for $355/cord delivered and dumped. Yikes! This time last year, Mary paid $85 for a half cord of dried split oak, delivered and stacked neatly.

The Unadillawood is delivered on pallets, and each layer is vacuum-packed in heavy plastic. It's useless if it gets wet, but it's good forever as long as it's sealed.

I'm going to order a load to supplement the oil, then spend the spring hunting for wood I can saw and split.

Russell Kanning

You can find deals on wood if you look
I even started getting cheap wood delivered in Keene
Yours should be cheaper.
Fall seems like bad time sometimes middle of winter is better :-)
Also I would let a guy call me when he wanted to get rid of wood.

cathleeninnh

I saw someone buy the manufactured stuff by the ton at Tractor Supply this year. Don't know the price. As far as cut wood, you do have to buy or cut well in advance. We have on hand enough for this year and next year. In the spring, we will start cutting or look to buy another 2 cord for the following year.

KBCraig

Thanks, Cathleen. I see Tractor Supply has the "Eco Brick" brand. They're $3.49 per 21 pound (six brick) package. I'll have to call and see if they discount in quantity.

Update: 5% discount if you buy a full ton (one pallet). Of course, then you have to get them home.

Jim Johnson

I broke another "unbreakable" splitting maul.  :(

Pat K

Dammit Johnson= Do you think were just made of splitting mauls around here?

Jim Johnson

It's said unbreakable, it's not supposed to break, I don't think I should be subjected to responsibility in this matter.

Pat K

Thats right it's supposed to be unbreakable, yet YOU BROKE IT.

We'll be keeping an eye one you...............

Russell Kanning