• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

What the heck is happening with this wierd sinkhole in Louisiana?

Started by Raineyrocks, October 25, 2012, 10:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Unusual geological event in USA on Friday, 26 October, 2012 at 03:10 (03:10 AM) UTC.

Description
A sharp tremor was recorded by USGS monitors just after 9 p.m. Wednesday at the site of the giant Louisiana sinkhole in Assumption Parish. The giant sinkhole appeared in August near the Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou areas. The Assumption Parish Police Jury says the tremor was large enough that the body wave phases could easily be identified. A body wave travels through the interior of the earth. The preliminary location of the tremor was just SE of Oxy #3 cavern at a depth of 500m. There is no additional information specific to this seismic activity at this time. The sinkhole is now about four acres in size. Residents were forced from their homes on August third, two months after the bayous started bubbling. They are still evacuated from their homes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RSOE shall not be liable for any customer claims based on the content and services distributed by RSOE. RSOE states that the EDIS content means information collected from the related and approved sources and therefore RSOE shall not be responsible for the content of these information. 

KBCraig

Kat Kanning

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on October 26, 2012, 10:45 AM NHFT
Naw, here's a sinkhole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddlrGkeOzsI

Oh yeah, I saw this on television the other week, maybe the History channel, I don't remember.  I was so surprised that everyone that was in that mine lived and the guy that was fishing while this happened lived too.

Raineyrocks

KBCraig

Quote from: Raineyrocks on October 27, 2012, 01:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on October 26, 2012, 02:58 PM NHFT
It's sinking.
;D
Yeah but some kind of gas is coming out of it and they think it might be explosive.

Well, that is what they're drilling for and hoping to find.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on October 27, 2012, 03:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on October 27, 2012, 01:01 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on October 26, 2012, 02:58 PM NHFT
It's sinking.
;D
Yeah but some kind of gas is coming out of it and they think it might be explosive.

Well, that is what they're drilling for and hoping to find.

Yeah, it seems like Pandora's box to me. :-\

Kat Kanning

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kat Kanning on October 30, 2012, 07:12 PM NHFT
If you want to know more about it, this guy has been following it closely

http://sincedutch.wordpress.com/

Wow, lots of information on that site, thanks Kat! :)