• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Is this the end for Twinkies?

Started by Raineyrocks, November 15, 2012, 07:33 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

No more Twinkies???  What is this world coming to? :o

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/14/news/companies/hostess-liquidation-thursday/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Hostess to liquidate if bakers' strike continues through Thursday
By James O'Toole @CNNMoney November 14, 2012: 6:01 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Is this the end for Twinkies?

Hostess Brands said Wednesday that it will go into liquidation unless bakers striking in protest against a new contract imposed in bankruptcy court return to work by the end of the day Thursday.

"We simply do not have the financial resources to survive an ongoing national strike," Hostess CEO Greg Rayburn said in a statement.

The liquidation would result in Hostess' nearly 18,000 workers losing their jobs. The bakers' union represents around 5,000.

The union did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday, but has called the concessions demanded in the new contract "outrageous."

"Our members are on strike because they have had enough," bakers' union president Frank Hurt said in a statement Tuesday. "They are not willing to take draconian wage and benefit cuts on top of the significant concessions they made in 2004 and give up their pension so that the Wall Street vulture capitalists in control of this company can walk away with millions of dollars."

Hostess filed for bankruptcy in January, its second trip to bankruptcy court since 2004. It's now owned by a group of investment firms including hedge funds Silver Point Capital and Monarch Alternative Capital.

In September, one of its major unions, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, voted narrowly to accept a new contract with reduced wages and benefits. The bakers' union rejected the deal, however, prompting Hostess management to secure permission from a bankruptcy court to force the new contract on workers.

The company announced Monday that it was closing bakeries in Seattle, St. Louis and Cincinnati in response to the bakers' strike, which began last week, cutting 627 jobs in total. The strike is in effect at 24 of Hostess' 33 plants.

Jim Johnson

Your not fuck'n bakers, alright?

Bakers hand fold dough with layers of butter to make expensive taste treats... you guys work on an assembly line, moving trays around.

KBCraig

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 15, 2012, 03:27 PM NHFT
Your not fuck'n bakers, alright?

Bakers hand fold dough with layers of butter to make expensive taste treats... you guys work on an assembly line, moving trays around.

;D

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on November 15, 2012, 04:39 PM NHFT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3uewlb6rs

;D  This movie was the first thing I thought of too!  Uh, oh, what if this means that the Zombie Apocolypse,(sp?), is really coming?

Raineyrocks

Ha, ha, I just told Brandie and she's freaking out!  She loves Twinkies!

I'm so glad I'm gluten free and haven't had these in months so I won't even miss them.  I just read that people are going nuts trying to grab Hostess products, esp. Twinkies even on Ebay.

Raineyrocks

Fluff and Stuff

Why would this be the end of Twinkies? The company said it will sell its assets. 1 of the assets is the word Twinkie. Anyway, there are already a bunch of generic crap products for sale in stores right now so customers don't have to wait.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Fluff and Stuff on November 16, 2012, 08:08 PM NHFT
Why would this be the end of Twinkies? The company said it will sell its assets. 1 of the assets is the word Twinkie. Anyway, there are already a bunch of generic crap products for sale in stores right now so customers don't have to wait.

I don't know maybe they want to make as much money from people thinking, 'twinkies are gone', we better buy whatever Twinkie related crap is out there. :-\

lildog

Red Arrow dinner makes home made twinkies that are better then the real thing.

God bless the free market!