• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Electricity question

Started by Raineyrocks, February 06, 2013, 05:50 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

Can anyone reccomend a reliable, inexpensive company to get electric from other than PSNH?   :)

I got a letter in the mail from North American Power but they have a contract and if you cancel early they charge $10 per month and thier fixed rate only lasts for 6 months.

I'd like to find a company that doesn't lock you into sticking with them for a year or two, if possible or should I just stick with PSNH?

MaineShark

You have kids.  Buy treadmills and hook them to generators :)

Electricity NH is another option, but they also have a contract.  I expect that will be the case with most new suppliers that crop up; part of their lower rates is the fact that they have you tied down to a contract, just like cell phone service is cheaper with a year- or two-year contract.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on February 06, 2013, 07:36 AM NHFT
You have kids.  Buy treadmills and hook them to generators :)

Electricity NH is another option, but they also have a contract.  I expect that will be the case with most new suppliers that crop up; part of their lower rates is the fact that they have you tied down to a contract, just like cell phone service is cheaper with a year- or two-year contract.

Ha, ha, I could really see that working! ;D  Do you think it's a better bet to be locked into a contract or take my chances that PSNH prices will go down?  Thanks!  :)

MaineShark

PSNH ain't going to lower their rates.

The concern would be more that the other supplier would raise theirs significantly.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on February 06, 2013, 09:25 AM NHFT
PSNH ain't going to lower their rates.

The concern would be more that the other supplier would raise theirs significantly.

That sucks!  ::) I was thinking maybe PSNH would lower thier prices if they lost enough customers.  Oh well, I will check out the link you gave me, thanks. :)  The Northern Power place guarantees thier rate for 6 months, I think it's $7.29 but then who knows how high they will raise it after that.

MaineShark

Their terms are here: http://www.electricitynh.com/enroll-now/terms-of-service.aspx

Looks like a yearly contract with a fixed rate, auto-renewed unless you specifically tell them not to.  But that's just what it looked like when I skimmed it quickly, so don't quote me on it.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on February 06, 2013, 12:03 PM NHFT
Their terms are here: http://www.electricitynh.com/enroll-now/terms-of-service.aspx

Looks like a yearly contract with a fixed rate, auto-renewed unless you specifically tell them not to.  But that's just what it looked like when I skimmed it quickly, so don't quote me on it.

Okay thanks!  :)

Raineyrocks

It's amazing how almost every service now includes this:

5. Credit Reporting. When you first apply for service and during the term of the Supply Contract with ENH Power we may contact a credit reporting agency to obtain utility credit history and credit score. Once enrolled, ENH Power reserves the right to report your payment history to a credit reporting agency

I remember when they just used to turn your electric off if you didn't pay your bill but now you have to have good credit for electricity?   Car and Homeowners insurance too or it will cost you more!

MaineShark

The law says they can't turn off your electricity unless you're behind by certain amounts, and if you have young kids or any of a variety of medical conditions, they can't turn if off during certain months (and maybe not at all).

So, since you have the potential to screw them over once they connect you, they check your credit before supplying service.

That's what happens when "well meaning" folks pass laws like that: there are always unintended consequences.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on February 11, 2013, 09:09 AM NHFT
The law says they can't turn off your electricity unless you're behind by certain amounts, and if you have young kids or any of a variety of medical conditions, they can't turn if off during certain months (and maybe not at all).

So, since you have the potential to screw them over once they connect you, they check your credit before supplying service.

That's what happens when "well meaning" folks pass laws like that: there are always unintended consequences.

What if somebody had really bad credit and no electric company would agree to supply them with electricity?  Just curious.  I know some people can ruin stuff and I don't know if I'd want to run a business these days, it's a shame all of these safeguards have to be put in place.  I understand some of them but not all of them. :-\

Silent_Bob

If bad/no credit they would require a deposit to setup service.

doobie

You aren't likely going to find one of the other companies doing shorter stints.  PSNH jumped their rates and we 'locked' in at $0.069/kW with one of them.  I forgot which one.  Considering we'd have likely just stayed with PSNH....it's been pretty good so far....

MaineShark

The New Hampshire Electric Co-op charges a deposit of like $250 to set up service if they think someone's a credit risk (we had a tenant once who had just moved here, had no established credit, and we only had a three-month lease, so they got nailed with that).

Raineyrocks

Quote from: doobie on February 11, 2013, 12:05 PM NHFT
You aren't likely going to find one of the other companies doing shorter stints.  PSNH jumped their rates and we 'locked' in at $0.069/kW with one of them.  I forgot which one.  Considering we'd have likely just stayed with PSNH....it's been pretty good so far....
'

Hi Doobie :)  Wow, that's a good price!  It seems to me that these other places cost more than PSNH when I figure out the amount from my old bill. :-\

Kat Kanning