• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Teenage girl suffered strokes, brain damage after smoking synthetic marijuana

Started by Raineyrocks, February 06, 2013, 05:56 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

This is so sad!  :(   I wouldn't touch any synthetic crap but who would've figured this could happen?

Teenage girl suffered strokes, brain damage after smoking synthetic marijuana

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/05/teenage-girl-suffered-strokes-brain-damage-after-smoking-synthetic-marijuana/?test=latestnews#ixzz2K7SKcDAY

A teenage girl from Texas suffered from multiple strokes after smoking synthetic marijuana – leaving her brain damaged, blind and paralyzed, the Independent reported.

Seventeen-year-old Emily Bauer, from Cypress, Texas, purchased the fake marijuana at a local gas station with friends in December.  Just 15 minutes after smoking it, Emily said she had a migraine and wanted to lie down.

Later on, the police were called to restrain Emily, after she suffered from a series of strokes – which ultimately triggered a psychotic state.  She ended up having violent hallucinations, running into walls and urinating on herself, according to the Independent.

Her friends and family hoped to dissuade her from taking the drug again once its effects wore off.  But 24 hours later, Emily was still having hallucinations and trying to hurt herself. 

Doctors decided to put Emily in a medically induced coma in order to run tests on her brain.  They discovered her seizures were a result of severe vasculitis – an inflammation of the blood vessels, ultimately restricting blood and oxygen flow to the brain.

Over time, pressure on Emily's brain became so intense that her doctors had to drill a hole in her skull to provide some relief.  Doctors told her family more than 70 percent of her brain was 'dead' and she would neither recognize her family or be able to use her arms and legs again.  However, after the family decided to remove her breathing tube, Emily began to show signs of recovery – even telling her mother she loved her at one point.

Emily is still paralyzed and very confused, but has recently started to reuse her arms and legs – and even eat solid foods.

In order to educate the public about Emily's story and the dangers of synthetic marijuana, Emily's family has created a non-profit organization called Synthetic Awareness For Emily (SAFE). 

Click for more from the Independent.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/05/teenage-girl-suffered-strokes-brain-damage-after-smoking-synthetic-marijuana/?test=latestnews#ixzz2K7S8qdAq

jerry

This story is just drug war propaganda.

The chemical she smoked has no relationship to marijuana.

If it was really synthetic marijuana she would not be able to buy it from a store because all synthetic analogues of controlled drugs are also controlled.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jerry on February 06, 2013, 07:17 AM NHFT
This story is just drug war propaganda.

The chemical she smoked has no relationship to marijuana.

If it was really synthetic marijuana she would not be able to buy it from a store because all synthetic analogues of controlled drugs are also controlled.

Yup, I agree 100%!   I don't understand why people don't just stick with the "real stuff", maybe this is cheaper? 

lildog

Quote from: jerry on February 06, 2013, 07:17 AM NHFTIf it was really synthetic marijuana she would not be able to buy it from a store because all synthetic analogues of controlled drugs are also controlled.

Not true, there is a store in Nashua, NH that sells the synthetic stuff right over the counter.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 06, 2013, 08:09 AM NHFTI don't understand why people don't just stick with the "real stuff", maybe this is cheaper?

Because it's legal where as the real stuff isn't.  I have a co-worker who buys the synthetic stuff and it's funny because his argument is nearly the same as what you raised right here, he questions why people would risk jail and punishment when the fake stuff is legal and freely available.

Threat of punishment carries a lot of weight.

Personally I've never tried the fake stuff but he claims its "just as good as the real stuff" but then he turns around and points out how much more powerful it is, and as a 6 foot plus 300+ pound guy, he openly admits that when he smokes the fake stuff he has to make sure he has no plans the following morning because as he puts it, it knocks him on his ass for hours.
As I see it, if it can knock someone as big as he is on his ass, it's going to really do a number on a small teenaged girl.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: lildog on February 06, 2013, 10:35 AM NHFT
Quote from: jerry on February 06, 2013, 07:17 AM NHFTIf it was really synthetic marijuana she would not be able to buy it from a store because all synthetic analogues of controlled drugs are also controlled.

Not true, there is a store in Nashua, NH that sells the synthetic stuff right over the counter.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on February 06, 2013, 08:09 AM NHFTI don't understand why people don't just stick with the "real stuff", maybe this is cheaper?

Because it's legal where as the real stuff isn't.  I have a co-worker who buys the synthetic stuff and it's funny because his argument is nearly the same as what you raised right here, he questions why people would risk jail and punishment when the fake stuff is legal and freely available.

Threat of punishment carries a lot of weight.

Personally I've never tried the fake stuff but he claims its "just as good as the real stuff" but then he turns around and points out how much more powerful it is, and as a 6 foot plus 300+ pound guy, he openly admits that when he smokes the fake stuff he has to make sure he has no plans the following morning because as he puts it, it knocks him on his ass for hours.
As I see it, if it can knock someone as big as he is on his ass, it's going to really do a number on a small teenaged girl.

Yeah but if you know what you're doing the threat of jail isn't much of a concern besides that, screw legal I hate living my life around everything that's legal or not. >:D  I wonder what the heck they put in "it" to make it that potent or maybe he's a lightweight?

jerry

KBCraig

Quote from: lildog on February 06, 2013, 10:35 AM NHFT

There is a lot of "synthetic stuff" out there. None of it is synthetic marijuana. It's all twigs and leaves that has been sprayed with chemicals that create a fake high, but it's not like smoking marijuana -- as your friend notes.