• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

A funny thing happened...

Started by Kat Kanning, April 13, 2013, 12:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

A funny thing happened to me on the way to Effingham.  I had a wicked bad headache for the last day.  Woke up at midnight to start driving with my head still pounding.  So I was driving along, singing, and I got to the song "I'm trading my sorrows", where one line is I'm trading my sickness, I'm trading my pain, I'm trading them all for the joy of the Lord.  When I sang that, my headache went away and hasn't been back!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KsfwvpcQhY

John

Pat K

Same thing happens for me when I sing Highway To Hell.

Jim Johnson

Kat Kanning

Well, I think God chose to take away my pain in a way that would glorify Him.

MaineShark

Relieving stress will tend to make a headache go away.  If singing about God relieves stress for you, then the pain will go away.  Which could still fall under, "God works in mysterious ways," but just be aware that the same will work for someone else, singing about another deity, or about skiing, or about fishing, or about driving.  "Hot Rod Lincoln" has cured headaches, for me.

I saw an interesting bumper sticker, the other day:

"Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell / Spirituality is for those who have been there"

John

Quote from: MaineShark on April 14, 2013, 10:31 AM NHFTI saw an interesting bumper sticker, the other day:

How about a t-shirt?
And a good little (14 min.) interview while in it.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPDiMGadxg

Kat Kanning

Singing other songs hadn't taken away my headache.

John

MaineShark

Quote from: John on April 14, 2013, 01:08 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on April 14, 2013, 10:31 AM NHFTI saw an interesting bumper sticker, the other day:
How about a t-shirt?
And a good little (14 min.) interview while in it.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPDiMGadxg

If videos worked on my computer, I'd watch that! :)

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 14, 2013, 01:16 PM NHFTSinging other songs hadn't taken away my headache.

Of course not - they aren't what works for you - thinking about your God's love, does.

A follower of Odin might be get the same effect by thinking of Valhalla, whereas Valhalla probably does nothing for you.

The point being that spirituality is very personal, even within the same faith.  A monk who has taken a vow of silence would not feel better by singing; he'd feel that he'd broken his vow, and would probably be miserable, whereas sitting in quiet meditation might make his headache go away.

Jim Johnson

Kat Kanning

Pat K

All across the globe the afflicted cry out , nay scream out for relief from
their suffering, begging god for help. But they do not sing.
On the continent of Africa a mother screams for gods mercy as her children are hacked
at with machette. On a hospital burn ward a man screams for relief from a pain so bad
you can hear him from 4 floors away, No relief is granted. But they do not sing. In another hospital ward parents pray for their child's cure of a horrific cancer, none is to come, but they did
not sing.

I had a headache and sung praise to god and my head ache was cured!

BEHOLD THE GREAT MERCY OF MY GOD

BEHOLD THE GREAT HUMILITY OF THE CHRISTIAN!

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Pat K on April 14, 2013, 08:48 PM NHFT
All across the globe the afflicted cry out , nay scream out for relief from
their suffering, begging god for help. But they do not sing.
On the continent of Africa a mother screams for gods mercy as her children are hacked
at with machette. On a hospital burn ward a man screams for relief from a pain so bad
you can hear him from 4 floors away, No relief is granted. But they do not sing. In another hospital ward parents pray for their child's cure of a horrific cancer, none is to come, but they did
not sing.

I had a headache and sung praise to god and my head ache was cured!

BEHOLD THE GREAT MERCY OF MY GOD

BEHOLD THE GREAT HUMILITY OF THE CHRISTIAN!

God is one fickle asshole.

Pope Benedict XVI said that 'God appears to be sleeping'.

K neth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on April 13, 2013, 12:33 PM NHFT
A funny thing happened to me on the way to Effingham.

What a funny place name for a funny thing to happen.  Have you ever been to an Effingville, an Effingburg? Effing Springs or any other Effing place?

God is completely unfathomable to me. Thank you for sharing this testimony, Kat, and for evoking the wise words of these prophets who have such a deep understanding of God and his ways, and of why there is suffering.  May I learn from you and them.  But I fear that I will remain lost in this cloud of unknowing.

May God show you mercy as you travel down the Effing Highway.