• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

The best explanation of unschooling

Started by KBCraig, September 14, 2013, 02:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

The words in my head and my heart, if not at my fingertips:

http://zenhabits.net/unschool/

While in school, learning happens in the classroom at certain times, in unschooling learning happens all the time, and there is no division between learning and life.
Let me emphasize that for a minute: in unschooling, life itself is learning. There is no "doing school" ... you are learning all the time.

Unschoolers learn just like you or I learn as adults: based on what interests them, figuring out how to learn it on their own, changing as they change, using whatever resources and learning materials they find, driven by curiosity and practical application rather than because someone says it's important.

This is how I learn as a self-employed writer, as an entrepreneur, as a parent. It's how our children will learn when they're adults. Why not have them learn like that now?

jerry

My education was interrupted only by my schooling
Winston Churchill

The only time my education was interrupted was when I was in school.
George Bernard Shaw

Tom Sawyer

dalebert

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 15, 2013, 09:07 AM NHFT
School is a prison — and damaging our kids

Good article from of all places Salon.

Salon has actually been shocking me, just now and then with thoughtful articles.

dalebert

Quote from: dalebert on September 15, 2013, 09:25 AM NHFT
Salon has actually been shocking me, just now and then with thoughtful articles.

But then there's this. Tom, Jim, Jerry, you guys only believe in libertarianism because you're the super rich.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: dalebert on September 15, 2013, 09:29 AM NHFT

But then there's this. Tom, Jim, Jerry, you guys only believe in libertarianism because you're the super rich.

I came to the realization that I wanted to be free without any input from any Koch brothers funded organizations.  ;D

The author is correct that there are examples of hypocrisy among folks that call themselves libertarians... however that is true of "progressives", who are usually from wealthier backgrounds. I was accused of being from a wealthy, privileged  background... by a progressive from a wealthy, privileged  background. Then I informed him that my father was born in a log cabin without electricity.  ;D

The rest of the article is blind to "progressives" love of coercive measures to achieve their ideals.

I tried to read an edition of The Nation magazine... boy "progressive" intellectuals sure weave a confusing batch of nonsense.

All this being said... many folks on our side seem to believe that as long as the "NAP" is adhered to the behavior is acceptable, and beyond criticism. Just because there shouldn't be laws against picking your nose in public doesn't mean I have to invite you to my party.  ;D

"Libertarians" are often one of the biggest obstacles to achieving our goals... lack of compassion and empathy is not the path to a better world. At the same time forced compassion and empathy leads to some truly evil ends.

dalebert

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 15, 2013, 10:38 AM NHFT
Just because there shouldn't be laws against picking your nose in public doesn't mean I have to invite you to my party.  ;D

Look, Tom. I thought no one was looking and I was going to get a napkin and clean it from the underside of your kitchen table later before anyone found it!

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: dalebert on September 15, 2013, 10:53 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 15, 2013, 10:38 AM NHFT
Just because there shouldn't be laws against picking your nose in public doesn't mean I have to invite you to my party.  ;D

Look, Tom. I thought no one was looking and I was going to get a napkin and clean it from the underside of your kitchen table later before anyone found it!

;D ;D ;D

Dang it I had to use "you" because of my awkward attempt at proper grammar, because I knew Becky would be bothered if I got it wrong.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on September 15, 2013, 09:29 AM NHFT

I thought I was rich, but it was just my sense of humor.

Stefan Molyneux says:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IPDnACa5bQ