• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Why grains aren't healthy

Started by dalebert, September 22, 2013, 09:21 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

I changed the title from clearly negative to simply not positive. Why? Because I think that's really the central point in this article. It presents pretty strong evidence for how grains are probably harmful to about a third of the population in the West and still fairly likely that they are harmful to the health of most if not all of the rest of us. However, there's a lot of room for debate in that area, at least for a significant chunk of the population, maybe even that their harm is negligible for a lot of people. So why not eat them if they're not obviously causing a problem for you?

A more reasonable question is "Why SHOULD you eat them?", and the answer to that from strictly a health perspective is there is no reason whatsoever to eat them. Since they're heavily subsidized by the government, they're cheap and convenient. One other possible reason as the article mentions is that they're great for storing away for emergencies. Those are possible reasons. But if you're concerned about your health and you can afford higher quality food, there is no benefit whatsoever to eating grains. So, excepting those reasons, the safe and reasonable conclusion is to just stop.

Jim Johnson

I'm going to make an exception for beer.

Pat K

Jim Johnson

Well yeah!

...and Becky's pie and brownies.

dalebert

I guess you've hit on another reason to eat grains that should have been obvious. Some things are just pleasurable to eat even though we know they're not good for us!

Raineyrocks

Great info Dalebert!  I've been doing this for over a year now and have lost weight, my stomach fat is stubborn though, it's really taking it's time to disappear.

I don't do the Primal Diet thing though because I don't eat meat so I need to figure someway to ditch some carbs and up my protein.  Eggs?  I hardly even eat too but that may be part of my problem, there are some days where I might just have a fruit smoothie and that's it; I'm just not hungry so I don't eat.  A few days out of the month I get pretty hungry and might eat 3 times a day but it's mainly gluten free carbs.

I haven't gained a lot of energy though but overall I feel way better off the gluten. :)

MaineShark

I always say that beer is unhealthy.  Remove the contaminants by distillation.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: MaineShark on November 10, 2013, 09:27 AM NHFT

Gosh darn MaineShark, is your middle name encyclopedia? ;D   I wish I was half as smart as you are, even though for the record I know I'm smart but you are way smarter.  :)

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Raineyrocks on November 10, 2013, 11:13 AM NHFT

Gosh darn MaineShark, is your middle name encyclopedia? ;D   I wish I was half as smart as you are, even though for the record I know I'm smart but you are way smarter.  :)

It's the internet, you can know quite a lot in a couple clicks.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 10, 2013, 11:16 AM NHFT

C'mon I just can't picture Joe googling the net for the information he puts out but I must say you have given me a good idea for upping my intelligence factor.  Thanks Jim!  :) 

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Raineyrocks on November 10, 2013, 11:22 AM NHFT

C'mon I just can't picture Joe googling the net for the information he puts out but I must say you have given me a good idea for upping my intelligence factor.  Thanks Jim!  :)

Le invitamos.
Sie sind willkommen.
Di niente.
D?itashimashite.
Soyez le bienvenu.
You're Welcome.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 10, 2013, 11:44 AM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on November 10, 2013, 11:22 AM NHFT

Le invitamos.
Sie sind willkommen.
Di niente.
D?itashimashite.
Soyez le bienvenu.
You're Welcome.

???  I'm confused, sorry.  :)

blackie

I don't have a problem with grains. I buy gluten in 50 lbs bags.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: blackie on November 11, 2013, 10:52 AM NHFT
I don't have a problem with grains. I buy gluten in 50 lbs bags.

I remember quite a few years ago I tried making a recipe using vital gluten and it came out disgusting as most of my recipes do; anyways I had the most horrific gas after eating it.   :P 

I have 2 reasons I stay away from it: 

1.  I have Hashimoto's and found out gluten can trigger an attack on the thyroid gland  http://paleozonenutrition.com/2010/08/26/hashimotos-auto-immune-thyroid-disease-avoid-gluten-like-the-plague/

2.  I feel better and have been losing weight since going gluten free  :)