• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Law, Violence, and Honor

Started by dalebert, October 14, 2013, 11:57 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans/posts/629385

QuoteHow does one become a villain?

Is it a line you cross? A singular defining moment that strips you of human decency, and plunges you into the darkness?

Is it a slow descent? A series of moral lapses that cause you to sink into the all consuming slime of depravity?

Is it a question of intent? Can one who commits evil acts still, in his heart of hearts, be "good"?

Or is "villain" merely a word? A meaningless label tacked onto you by society in an attempt to distill a lifetime of deeds into a single, simplistic summation.

Jim Johnson

"The only person that can truly decide whether your character is a hero or a villain is you."

Bull shit.

One can not judge himself good or evil any more than he can diagnose his own mental state.

As far as the labels of good and evil; they are just value judgements.

dalebert

Quote from: Jim Johnson on October 15, 2013, 12:01 PM NHFT
"The only person that can truly decide whether your character is a hero or a villain is you."

I feel like this needs emphasis. This is referring to a role-playing game where people play characters who are not themselves. They actually do have some degree of objectivity. I play in several different games and in each one, the personalities of my characters are very different, and they're definitely not me. My latest is a character who is borderline even a little bit evil. He has a much fuzzier notion of morality than mine.

The game this Kickstarter was inspired by was City of Heroes. They came out with an expansion called City of Villains and it was VERY popular. People purposefully made evil characters to live vicariously through these bad guys in a virtual world where no real people were actually being hurt.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on October 15, 2013, 01:29 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on October 15, 2013, 12:01 PM NHFT

I feel like this needs emphasis. This is referring to a role-playing game where people play characters who are not themselves. They actually do have some degree of objectivity. I play in several different games and in each one, the personalities of my characters are very different, and they're definitely not me. My latest is a character who is borderline even a little bit evil. He has a much fuzzier notion of morality than mine.

The game this Kickstarter was inspired by was City of Heroes. They came out with an expansion called City of Villains and it was VERY popular. People purposefully made evil characters to live vicariously through these bad guys in a virtual world where no real people were actually being hurt.

There is no reason to yell.
You mean character to mean an avatar, I thought it meant personal traits.

dalebert

Quote from: Jim Johnson on October 15, 2013, 02:00 PM NHFT
There is no reason to yell.

I made it larger to emphasize it but it ended up kind of gigantic.

WithoutAPaddle

Michael Ansara's character was always a villian.  As the saying goes, it's better to be type cast than not cast.

dalebert

Tom Sawyer

dalebert

So who's going to play superheros with me?

Jim Johnson

Do you ever get the feeling that people on this forum are past the VDO game age?

...but not yet in a retirement home where fantasy role play might be useful.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Jim Johnson on October 16, 2013, 02:55 PM NHFT
Do you ever get the feeling that people on this forum are past the VDO game age?

No fair.  You peeked in my closet where the adult diapers are didn't you?

dalebert

Nonsense! I'm old and I still play them.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Free libertarian on October 16, 2013, 06:16 PM NHFT

No fair.  You peeked in my closet where the adult diapers are didn't you?

I'm told you can use those diapers when going 48 hours straight on your role playing game.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on October 16, 2013, 06:35 PM NHFT

Nonsense! I'm old and I still play them.

I can't  talk now, I have to get back to my Age of Empires - Conquerors edition.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: dalebert on October 16, 2013, 11:27 AM NHFT
So who's going to play superheros with me?

Does that line ever work?

Hey, lets wear our underwear on the outside of our clothes!  ;D