• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Zoning laws in Grafton area

Started by Wonderer, December 17, 2013, 11:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderer

I'm investigating buying some land in the Grafton area within the next couple years. I'd like to make it a "legal residence" soon after buying it, but don't want to have to spend the money for an official septic system, etc.

Would I need a "certificate of occupancy" or other official pieces of paper in order to make it a "legal residence"? If so, what's needed to be able to do that?

jerry

Quote from: Wonderer on December 17, 2013, 11:04 PM NHFT
I'm investigating buying some land in the Grafton area within the next couple years. I'd like to make it a "legal residence" soon after buying it, but don't want to have to spend the money for an official septic system, etc.

Would I need a "certificate of occupancy" or other official pieces of paper in order to make it a "legal residence"? If so, what's needed to be able to do that?

Grafton has no zoning or certificates of occupancy, but the septic systems are covered under state regulations.  Pretty much if you have running water in the residence you must have a state approved septic system.
There are some hunting camp type residences that have just an outhouse.

Wonderer

That's encouraging. At least I could have a place to call home while I worked on a real house. In many others areas I'd get hassled by zoning officials if I tried to live on site while building.

ptb

Jerry is right about no zoning or certificates of occupancy in Grafton. There's no building code inspectors in Grafton, and although Grafton is subject to the statewide building code (International Building Code 2009) there's no one who will enforce it.

When we moved here, we lived in a school bus which had been converted into an RV while we built. Once we had enough of the house closed in enough to heat, we moved inside. Without a roof. For two years without a roof. With a wood stove with a chimney running through a tarp. After two winters without a roof, we finished the roof, and I must say that it is much more comfortable.  ;)

If you'd like to avoid putting in a septic system, there's a couple things you might want to look into. You could use a composting toilet, but if you have running water (water which is delivered into the house as opposed to water which is carried in in buckets) you need some approved disposal system. It is possible to create a greywater disposal system for disposal of shower water, dishes, and the like.

A couple years ago, one of our friends combed through the state septic regulations to figure out what the state requires for a greywater disposal system and compiled a list of notes here:

https://gist.github.com/ptb/45664fcb2140167f296b

Before starting building, you will need to fill out a "building notification" form, which is the most informal gov't form you'll ever see. The town asks for $25 when filing the building notification form, and will fine you up to $100 a day if you are caught building without notifying them (although I've never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted, only threatened).

There's also a "driveway permit" which involves the road agent coming to your property and letting you know if you need a culvert under your driveway or not. I don't remember if there was a cost for that or not. Again, the gov't will threaten you if you don't fill out their paperwork.

- Peter

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

yea .... I have heard of places where they want so much stuff built before you can live there .... so how do you build it while living there?

you could definitely do much of what you are wanting :)