• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wild vs. cultivated blueberries

Started by dalebert, November 04, 2013, 10:19 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I've been buying the 3 lb bags of wild blueberries at Market Basket. I think they're $8.99 or something. I go through them steadily mixing them with Greek yogurt and stevia mainly and sometimes for coconut flour pancakes.

So anyway, recently I saw a smaller bag of cultivated blueberries, store brand and they were cheaper so I decided to try them. My first thought when I opened the bag was they seemed plumper. I thought they'd maybe burst with flavor.

That would be a "nope". Don't get the cultivated ones. Yes, they're bigger and plumper. They're also nearly tasteless and kind of tough and have more seeds. The wild ones are smaller but juicier and more flavorful. Totally worth the slight difference in price. I forget the brand but it's a 3 lb bag and I think it starts with "W".

Free libertarian

You might consider planting some blueberries in the spring as ornamental landscaping.  Get two birds stoned at once.

Tom Sawyer

I see what you did there Bob... :D

Dale is right the wild ones are much more blueberry tasting... probably more nutritious as well.

blackie

That is a pretty small sample size. I find the taste to be different from batch to batch.

With cannabis, taste is the difference between good and great. I have been on a search for a blueberry plant worth keeping.

This is some DJ Short Blueberry I have....no good for outside in New England...it won't finish up in time.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: blackie on November 11, 2013, 10:59 AM NHFT
That is a pretty small sample size. I find the taste to be different from batch to batch.

With cannabis, taste is the difference between good and great. I have been on a search for a blueberry plant worth keeping.

This is some DJ Short Blueberry I have....no good for outside in New England...it won't finish up in time.

Wow, freaking gorgeous!  :)

Love this one too!

My 3 favorites are:  (I don't even know if anyone goes by these names anymore)

1.  Hawaiian
2.  Columbian
3.  Skunk