• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Free movies at Chunky's Nashua

Started by dalebert, November 07, 2013, 04:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I didn't get any bites for Thor tonight so I'm not going. However, I just got another email from Chunky's that veterans will get into any movie for free any time on Monday. We have to bring any kind of proof like a card or a DD14 whatamadoogee whatever. Some friends and I may take the opportunity to watch Thor then.

I know it makes me a little bit statist to take advantage of this offer. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? I did my time. Now I want to see hunky blonde doods saving the world!

dalebert

My friends seem to be leaning toward the 12:15 showing.

MaineShark

Quote from: dalebert on November 07, 2013, 04:41 PM NHFTI know it makes me a little bit statist to take advantage of this offer.

Not sure why that would be statist.  The company chose to make the offer for marketing purposes - no one twisted their arm.  If there was some law requiring them to do so, and you took advatange of it, that would be an issue.  But if they freely choose to offer you free stuff, go for it...

Jim Johnson

Quote from: MaineShark on November 10, 2013, 08:54 AM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on November 07, 2013, 04:41 PM NHFTI know it makes me a little bit statist to take advantage of this offer.

Not sure why that would be statist.  The company chose to make the offer for marketing purposes - no one twisted their arm.  If there was some law requiring them to do so, and you took advatange of it, that would be an issue.  But if they freely choose to offer you free stuff, go for it...

It is, at least, taking part in State worship.

MaineShark

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 10, 2013, 09:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on November 10, 2013, 08:54 AM NHFT
It is, at least, taking part in State worship.

On the company's part, certainly.  But taking them up on the offer actually reduces their profits.

And, unlike when folks make that argument regarding going on welfare or such, the company in question cannot tax folks to make up the difference.  (I'm getting sick of folks telling me I should be collecting Denise's Social Security - "she paid in, so you should collect it!" - yeah, sorry, but everything she paid in has already been stolen - anything I collected now would be the proceeds of fresh robberies)

Making future choices to patronize that theater because of that offer would be State-worship.  But just taking them up on the offer actually punishes them for making it.

dalebert

Quote from: MaineShark on November 10, 2013, 09:37 AM NHFT
On the company's part, certainly.  But taking them up on the offer actually reduces their profits.

I don't know. I prolly did exactly what they hoped I would do. I told my friends about it. Any short of coupon or deal is all about promotion. They hope people will try their product, like it, and come back later as a paying customer.

MaineShark

Quote from: dalebert on November 10, 2013, 10:51 AM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on November 10, 2013, 09:37 AM NHFTOn the company's part, certainly.  But taking them up on the offer actually reduces their profits.
I don't know. I prolly did exactly what they hoped I would do. I told my friends about it. Any short of coupon or deal is all about promotion. They hope people will try their product, like it, and come back later as a paying customer.

Yeah, but you told your friends to take them up on the free ticket.

What they're hoping is that folks who otherwise would not have gone, will see this and say, "I don't normally go there, but I'm going to support that pro-veteran company!"

Folks who already go there don't count.  Folks whose purchasing decisions won't be swayed by their "gesture" towards veterans don't count.  The target audience is those who do not already attend that theater, or who attend it rarely, and who will attend (or attend more often) as a result of this.

Do your friends already go there?  Are they likely to start going regularly, or go more often, because of this?  Doesn't sound likely...  Some might even go less often, as a result, in this particular case.

Unless I'm significantly misjudging the sort of friends with whom you shared this bit of information, it's unlikely that they are making extra money because you did so.

dalebert

I guess some folks might actually boycott it because they're doing pro-veteran stuph, but it is a really nice theater. I'm going to keep going for that reason.

By "nice", I mean all factors considered including things like the price. The movies are cheaper than just about anywhere (for new releases anyway) and the food is better and cheaper than other theaters. I just really love the convenience of eating real food in the theater vs. just the usual VERY over-priced concessions, and not rushing from a restaurant to make the movie. The screens are actually smaller. It just suits me and my tastes for a movie night.

Russell Kanning

I have gone to a couple of shows there while we delivered papers to hannaford and market basket.