• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

becoming most holy

Started by blackie, November 13, 2013, 03:12 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

blackie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_anointing_oil

QuoteThe holy anointing oil (Hebrew: shemen "oil", ha-mishchah "of anointing" ??? ?????) formed an integral part of the ordination of the priesthood and the high priest as well as in the consecration of the articles of the tabernacle (Exodus 30:26) and subsequent temples in Jerusalem. The primary purpose of anointing with the holy anointing oil was to cause the anointed persons or objects to become qodesh – most holy (Exodus 30:29).

Originally the oil was used exclusively for the priests and the Tabernacle articles but was later extended to include prophets and kings (I Samuel 10:1). It was forbidden to be used on an outsider (Exodus 30:33) or to be used on the body of any common persons (Ex. 30:32a) and the Israelites were forbidden to duplicate any like it for themselves (Ex. 30:32b).

The holy anointing oil described in Exodus 30:22-25 was created from:[1][2]
Pure Myrrh (?? ???? mar deror)
Sweet Cinnamon (?????? ??? kinnemon besem)
Sweet Calamus (?????-?????? kaneh bosm)
Cassia (??? kiddah)
Olive oil (??? ??? shemen sayith)

Alternative Identification of Kaneh Bosem

Rabbinical

Most biblical authorities and commentators identify the keneh bosem as cane balsam[54][55] or the plant variously referred to as sweet cane, sweet flag, or calamus. The Aramaic Targum Onkelos renders Hebrew kaneh bosem as Aramaic q'nei busma.[56]
In The Living Torah, Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan identifies this as the Cymbopogon martinii or palmarosa plant.[57][58] Kaplan also says "On the basis of cognate pronunciation and Septuagint readings, some identify Keneh bosem with the English and Greek cannabis, the hemp plant." [59]

Sula Benet, 1936
The main advocate of the idea that kaneh bosm was cannabis was Sula Benet in 1936 in a paper in Warsaw, and again in her Early Diffusion and Folk Uses of Hemp (1967),[60] Benet identifies it as the hemp plant, or cannabis. Both in the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament and in the Aramaic translation, the word 'kaneh' or ' keneh' is used either alone or linked to the adjective bosm in Hebrew and busma in Aramaic, meaning aromatic. It is 'cana' in Sanskrit, 'qunnabu' in Assyrian, 'kenab' in Persian, 'kannab' in Arabic and 'kanbun' in Chaldean. In Exodus 30: 23, God directed Moses to make a holy oil composed of "myrrh, sweet cinnamon, kaneh bosm and kassia." In many ancient languages, including Hebrew, the root 'kan' has a double meaning --- both hemp and reed. In many translations of the Bible's original Hebrew, we find 'kaneh bosm' variously and erroneously translated as "calamus" and "aromatic reed," a vague term. Calamus, (Calamus aromaticus) is a fragrant marsh plant. The error occurred in the oldest Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, in the third century B.C., where the terms 'kaneh, kaneh bosm' were incorrectly translated as "calamus." Another piece of evidence regarding the use of the word 'kaneh' in the sense of hemp rather than reed among the Hebrews is the religious requirement that the dead be buried in 'kaneh' shirts. Benet argues that in support of the theory that reads cannabis as an ingredient of the holy anointing oil is that most of the other ingredients, if not all, are also theorized to come from Central Asian lands in which, Benet claims, cannabis was frequently used for spiritual (Scythian) and medicinal use. Benet's claims are not widely discussed or referenced in biblical studies. However Vera Rubin (1975).[61] cited and supported Benet's view.

I went with cannabis instead of calamus. I started by infusing the olive oil with 2.5 oz of cannabis.

I added candelilla wax, because bees wax isn't vegan. So it more of a salve than an oil.

The Myrrh was kinda expensive. $26 for a little bottle.

I gave some of the salve to one of my patients on Monday night. They just called me as I was writing this post to tell me how good it worked. That was weird.

Free libertarian

Nothing like a little Kaneh Bosm to start the day.  Although "wake and annoint" doesn't have the same pizzazz as "wake and bake".

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Free libertarian on November 14, 2013, 06:32 AM NHFT
Nothing like a little Kaneh Bosm to start the day.  Although "wake and annoint" doesn't have the same pizzazz as "wake and bake".

Or "shake and bake".  ;D