• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty Tree Society "Liberty Festival"

Started by AlanM, January 29, 2005, 08:18 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We have a couple of good parks here. I would prefer to have the event in the middle of the state,... but if I end up planning the event, I will end up doing it in Keene because I can make things happen more easily in my own town. :)
To me it doesn't matter when we do this...if we decide a date in the next week, then we will have plenty of time to get things organized and let people plan for it. :)

Russell Kanning

How about we plan one for early summer.....we could always want a second one later this year. ;D

Russell Kanning

If we did it in Keene, I would probably look at Wheelock Park. No matter how big the party got we would have room there. :) Room for volleyball, softball etc. also

AlanM

Brian makes a good point about Keene being Porc Mecca. You already have a good base of support, and it is growing all the time. I will definitely make myself available to help. Definitely think we should have booths for people to sell their wares and promote their businesses, as well as informational booths.
Entertainment- any one know of some bands or folk singers? We could perhaps have a sing-along of Liberty songs. I could prepare a comic monologue or two.

Russell Kanning

Should I steal your idea and plan a "Liberty Festival" here in Keene?

AlanM

;D Um,.... well.... sure... if you want.  ;)

jgmaynard

The parallels between the Red Sox winning the World Series in St. Louis, and having a Liberty Festival in Keene are overwhelming me right now, LOL, but I'm all about it. :)

There's a campground in the north part of the city, easy to find, right on a main Rd (and right near you and Kat, Russ! :)), that I think may be a place to check, as well. :) We almost did something like this last year and I remember that that place worked. :)

And I've ALWAYS wanted to have an event on June 2nd, for the anniversary of the NH Constitution. No one here does ANYTHING with that day... It's a ready-made, unused holiday, up for grabs! :) NH Constitution Day. :)

JM

Russell Kanning

So Alan did you want to make this festival happen? I don't want to just steal the idea or anything. I was just warning people that if I plan it we will hold it in Keene. :)

AlanM

Russell Kanning

So when you mean a "festival" what were you thinking?

AlanM

Quote from: russellkanning on January 30, 2005, 03:45 PM NHFT
So when you mean a "festival" what were you thinking?

Have you ever been to a Rennaisance Festival? Well, everything is themed around the Rennaisance. So I was thinking of a Liberty themed event. Entertainments, food, fun, music, booths for selling things, booths for informational things. There could be a series of skits with liberty themes. Have some people dressed, say, in colonial costume so they are known to be "actors", acting out scenes where someone is attempting to take their liberties away. Of course the hero, (JP?) saves the day.
  Another thing that could be done is to print up some antique looking Broadsides about an anti-liberty event, calling liberty lovers "to arms" in protection of liberty.
  Also, if we could find a singer/guitarist to strole around singing folk tunes with a Freedom/Liberty flavor, perhaps inviting people to join in on the chorus. Perhaps we could have some people in Militia garb, doing some drilling, or making camp.
  Perhaps a dunking booth, with the victim being labeled a "statist", or something similar.
  Maybe baked goods for sale such as Liberty Bread, Freedom Cookies, or whatever.
  This is the sort of thing I had in mind. Colonial garb might help get the sense across that we are about fighting oppresion, supporting individual freedoms.
Alan

AlanM

Another idea. Sell recipe books with Freedom/Liberty recipes. Free Speech Pie, anyone? Militia Bread? Constitution Corn-Cake?

Kat Kanning

AlanM

How about Lloyd's Leg of Lamb. Aged to perfection. Free of any oppression. Guaranteed to Liberate your innards.