• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

porc plumber needed

Started by firecracker joe, October 16, 2013, 06:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineShark

When you say that it won't build up pressure "without assistance," what sort of assistance do you mean?

firecracker joe

The pressure builds to 20 psi then i add pressure from my compressor to 40 psi then it shuts off if i dont pump will run forever

MaineShark

Do you mean that you are adding pressure to the well tank, through the air fitting (like a tire valve)?

That should only have to be done once.  The tank pressure should be two pounds lower than the turn-on water pressure (so, if the switch turns on at 30 and off at 50, the tank should be at 28psi).  To check the pressure, you need to make sure that the water pressure is at zero, or you'll get a false reading.

If you ever have to add air then Jim's definitely right and the tank is not holding air - that tank should be pressurized once, and you should never have to touch it after that.  If you do, then the thing is leaking air.  Since it sounds like you're not also leaking water, the diaphragm could be intact, and the air valve might be leaking.  The cores on those valves can be replaced with a simple tool.  Assuming you have an air leak, that might be a good place to start, since it's less than $10...

firecracker joe

Would'nt i hear air leaking? This is why i just want to hire a plumber who is familiar with plumbing.and pump issues.i do appreciate peoples help though

MaineShark

Quote from: firecracker joe on October 22, 2013, 06:08 PM NHFTWould'nt i hear air leaking?

Nah, not if it's leaking slowly.

Mix up some soapy water and put it on the valve.  I bet you'll see bubbles.  Or just replace the valve core, anyway.  Like I said, they're only a few bucks - lots cheaper than hiring a plumber.  If that doesn't fix it, then you truly have something odd, and you can know that you're not wasting money if you have to hire someone.

firecracker joe

KBCraig

A pressure tank requires both pressure, and volume.

If the diaphragm is intact, but there's a leak on the air side, the pressure could read in the acceptable range, but the tank is ineffective because air volume is just too low.

firecracker joe

problem solved,  the pump was originally in the garage about 15 ft. from the  well when i moved it into the house it was now 60 ft. from the well the pump is a 1/2 horse powe.r today i went and bought a 1 HP jet pump plumbed it in and all is well , the water is flowing and  the firecracker couldnt be happier. thankyou for all your inputs and im sure if i had explained moving the pump one of you wise porcs would have diagnosed the problem. so now its off to the shower. thanx again to  all you knowledgeable porcs.

Jim Johnson

Thanks Joe, that's good to know.    :)

Tom Sawyer

I would have probably figured that out for ya Joe, but it would have required you to have held your computer much closer to the problem.  :D

Glad you worked it out.  :) Just proves pumps push better than they suck.

firecracker joe

thats exactly what it comes down to, running water makes life so much more bareable

Russell Kanning