• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Are there any really inexpensive ways to keep the water running in a house .....

Started by Raineyrocks, December 11, 2013, 07:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

when the power goes out?  I've looked into solar generators and they are way too expensive for what I'm looking for, basically I want to be able to run faucet water and have everyone be able to get a shower everyday.  Will a hand pumped well do that?  If so, are they easy to install and inexpensive? 

I don't know if a hand pumped well would work anyway because how would the hot water heater be able to run?

jerry

Quote from: Raineyrocks on December 11, 2013, 07:42 AM NHFT
when the power goes out?  I've looked into solar generators and they are way too expensive for what I'm looking for, basically I want to be able to run faucet water and have everyone be able to get a shower everyday.  Will a hand pumped well do that?  If so, are they easy to install and inexpensive? 

I don't know if a hand pumped well would work anyway because how would the hot water heater be able to run?

Not enough information.
What kind of power does your well pump use? 110v or 220v
What fuel does your water heater use? gas? electric?

It might be possible to use a small generator, e.g.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate-3-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Manual-Start-PM0103008/203404861?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1-1-_-NA-_-203404861-_-N#.UqirNYpDsVk

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jerry on December 11, 2013, 12:16 PM NHFT
Quote from: Raineyrocks on December 11, 2013, 07:42 AM NHFT

Not enough information.
What kind of power does your well pump use? 110v or 220v
What fuel does your water heater use? gas? electric?

It might be possible to use a small generator, e.g.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermate-3-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-with-Manual-Start-PM0103008/203404861?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1-1-_-NA-_-203404861-_-N#.UqirNYpDsVk

Hi Jerry :)

The well pump uses 120v, the water heater is gas and 220v.  I'm going to go look at the link you put here, thanks.

Raineyrocks

I read this under one of the reviews, what are they talking about? :o

All the small homeowner needs!
November 23, 2012
5.0 5 out of 5
Recommended Product
Neat And compact ! Purchased two units today, one as a gift-- I am impressed with workmanship and ease of operation . QUIET too.---- . Please remember to always DISCONNECT your main breaker unless you have a automatic transfer switch,the lineman's life depends on YOUI
Was this helpful?helpful11unhelpful0

MaineShark

Quote from: Raineyrocks on December 12, 2013, 05:36 AM NHFTThe well pump uses 120v, the water heater is gas and 220v.

You probably have that backwards - virtually no gas water heaters are 220V, and the majority of well pumps are 220V (although possibly not - is the pump inside the well, or in the basement?).

It's best to also know the amperage of the well pump - larger pumps can draw a lot of power when starting, which may stall a smaller generator.  If the pump is old enough that it's likely to fail soon, anyway, it may make sense to replace it with a "soft start" pump, which slowly throttles up, rather than drawing a huge amount of power all at once - they play much nicer with generators.  But that's usually a grand or two, installed... potentially worthwhile if your existing pump is close to the end of its life, but not so much if the existing pump has plenty of years left.

Quote from: Raineyrocks on December 12, 2013, 05:43 AM NHFTNeat And compact ! Purchased two units today, one as a gift-- I am impressed with workmanship and ease of operation . QUIET too.---- . Please remember to always DISCONNECT your main breaker unless you have a automatic transfer switch,the lineman's life depends on YOUI

When you connect a generator directly to your circuit panel, you need a disconnect device that forced you to shut off the main breaker before allowing the generator breaker to be turned on.  That way, the generator does not feed power back out into the lines.

If you are only powering a few circuits, then a small generator sub-panel can serve the same purpose.  They include a built-in switching device that cuts their connection to the main panel when the generator is being used.

Raineyrocks

Yup, you are right, sorry.  :)  I had to wait until Rick got to work to ask him about the pump.  There is a deep well pump which pumps water into the house tank and connected to the house tank there is another pump that pumps water through the house.

Rick had an idea about our camper for showers:  The water heater works on propane and its 120 or 12v and he was thinking he could pour water manually into the 40 gallon holding tank, (fresh water tank) or rewire something.  I don't know he kept talking too fast and I couldn't understand what he was saying. ::)  I guess it still wouldn't provide water for drinking or cooking though and I think he said it could only be temporary, I don't know he wouldn't slow down enough for me to type it.

MaineShark

Putting water into the camper during the winter means you would then have to re-winterize it when you were done.

How large is the "house tank."  If you have a two-pump system, and the tank is reasonably large, then the generator would only have to operate the in-house pump.