• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Who was Carl Drega?

Started by Lex, January 12, 2006, 09:30 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 08:25 AM NHFT
This "pushed beyond the limits" talk is horseshit. I haven't surrendered my morality to any government, and I don't know why we'd expect any less of Drega. If you want a foolproof way to ensure that people in your new (or soon to be new) state think you're crazy, go ahead and take up this guy's cause. He's no martyr. He's a murderer, plain and simple.

Now go ahead and smite me for failing to defend an immoral killer, or for not using enough "tact" in discussing his actions.

I wouldn't bother.

Kat Kanning

I didn't say what he did was right, just have a certain amount of sympathy with people who go bonkers after having the government trample them.  I have no desire to shoot anyone.

Lex

I think Mark is a government employee so naturally he would be especially disturbed by Drega.

Mark

Quote from: eukreign on January 15, 2006, 10:15 AM NHFT
I think Mark is a government employee so naturally he would be especially disturbed by Drega.

No, I'm especially disturbed by the killing of innocent people.

Lex

Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 02:11 PM NHFT

These people harassed a man for many years. THEY ARE NOT INNOCENT!

Now, did he punish them too harshly? Yes.

Otosan

HHHmmm how can I type this without giving the impression I approved of What Drega did?

Quoting Dirty (Clintwood) Harry.....A Good Man Knows His Limitations.

It seems that Carl Drega was pushed (rightfully or wrongfullY) to his limitations.  And his reaction, to all who reads his story thinks it, was extreme. (and I am not calling Carl Drega a Good Man)

Soul searching time,  What are your limitations and what will  your reaction be when you are pushed  over that imaginary line?

Pat K

Quote from: eukreign on January 15, 2006, 03:43 PM NHFT

Yes but then again not less harshly then they would have been willing to punish him, for trying to enjoy his own property.

FTL_Ian

It is the bureaucrats who are violent.  Drega simply got fed up with being pushed around.

Bullies should be faught against.  He didn't have a network of people like us to support him, so he did all he could think to do.

Mark

Quote from: eukreign on January 15, 2006, 03:43 PM NHFT

Sounds like one of the four people he murdered (and none of the others that he tried to murder) had anything to do with his past land disputes, and even then there are options for dealing with the issue other than shooting women in the back.

Just seems like an odd choice of a hero to me.

Lex

Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 10:19 PM NHFT
Sounds like one of the four people he murdered (and none of the others that he tried to murder) had anything to do with his past land disputes, and even then there are options for dealing with the issue other than shooting women in the back.

Apparently she carried a gun because she was scared of Drega. Which means she knew he was crazy and violent, yet she still continued to harass him. Why?

Mark

Quote from: eukreign on January 15, 2006, 10:21 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 10:19 PM NHFT

Apparently she carried a gun because she was scared of Drega. Which means she knew he was crazy and violent, yet she still continued to harass him. Why?

The mere feeling that the laws of a society you choose to live in shouldn't apply to you doesn't make enforcement of those laws harassment. As far as that day goes, though... she was working in her office, which is where he hunted her down and committed his third murder of the day by shooting her in the back.

Lex

Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 10:52 PM NHFT
The mere feeling that the laws of a society you choose to live in shouldn't apply to you doesn't make enforcement of those laws harassment.

Drega did not agree to those laws and yet he was harassed anyways.

Mark

Quote from: eukreign on January 15, 2006, 10:58 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 10:52 PM NHFT
The mere feeling that the laws of a society you choose to live in shouldn't apply to you doesn't make enforcement of those laws harassment.

Drega did not agree to those laws and yet he was harassed anyways.

Tough shit. Drega chose where he wanted to live, and unless you're going to buy an island and live by yourself, there will always be laws you disagree with.  Wasn't he free to run for office and try to change the laws, or to move to a place that better suited him?

Lex

Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 11:24 PM NHFT
Tough shit. Drega chose where he wanted to live, and unless you're going to buy an island and live by yourself, there will always be laws you disagree with.  Wasn't he free to run for office and try to change the laws, or to move to a place that better suited him?

I'm sure that he had started his life there way before the bureaucrats came up with all the rules and regulations that eventually caused him to snap. They invaded him and he faught back.

Maybe when Japan attacked America we should have just picked up our things and left?

Mark

Quote from: eukreign on January 15, 2006, 11:43 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mark on January 15, 2006, 11:24 PM NHFT

I'm sure that he had started his life there way before the bureaucrats came up with all the rules and regulations that eventually caused him to snap. They invaded him and he faught back.

If Mr. Drega had such solid ties to the town as you claim, it seems like he'd be in a good position to discuss his concerns with his neighbors. It's a town of around 800 people, and if it's anything like most places 780 of them don't give a shit about what goes on beyond their yard. He could run for office, and work to change the zoning. He could make a special "White Trash Zone" in his neighborhood, allowing him to adorn his home with tarpaper, tinfoil, or whatever else he wanted. Or, he could convince others that zoning was unethical, and help to do away with the process altogether. Unfortunately, he was your basic douche and chose to just murder people instead.

This "caused him to snap" stuff is such a cop-out. He was a man of free will, and those murders are his fault and his alone.