• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Are conspiracy kooks hurting the liberty movement?

Started by dalebert, January 14, 2014, 12:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

awesome video
although weird al beat us to that joke again

when are we doing the tinfoil hat convention?

dalebert

Quote from: Free libertarian on July 18, 2014, 04:42 PM NHFT
^^^ You just wait....Mr. Johnson's gonna teach me to deadpan...then you'll see!

No so fast. He also needs a license to teach comedy.

Tom Sawyer

This month's civil disobedience will be teaching comedy without a license at the Tin Foil Hat Convention. EPIC and HEROIC!

Free libertarian

I lost my tin foil hat.  Can I wear an old metal bed pan? 

Maybe we could get Mr. Johnson to do a seminar...."dead pan with a bed pan". 

dalebert

I hear they sell them at Walmart. They come in boxes of about 20. Some assembly required.

Russell Kanning

Free libertarian

Think of the radio reception we'll be able to get!

Russell Kanning

dalebert

More I-don't-understand-it-so-it-really-scares-me anti-GMO hysteria.

Russell Kanning

dalebert

Quote from: Russell Kanning on August 04, 2014, 07:52 AM NHFT
I don't have to understand GMO s to hate them.

Considering how much hate is founded in not understanding something (or someone), I would have a hard time debating you on that point.

MaineShark

Almost everything you eat is a GMO.  Humans have been selectively breeding plants and animals for thousands of years, and the food we now have bears little resemblance to what it once was.

If you actually hate GMO's, there are few, if any, grains that you can eat.  Beef, pork, chicken, etc. are all out.  Basically, only things that are not farmed by humans would be acceptable.  Wild-shot duck would work (but not duck from a farm - all commercial duck breeds are the result of selective breeding), as would snake and most lizards.  Wild venison or boar.  Etc.  But pretty much nothing you get at normal restaurants or grocery stores is absent genetic modification by humanity.

KBCraig

I remember learning about Gregor Mendel's selectively-bred peas when I was about 12. Mendel documented the genetics of what humans had been doing for a couple-three thousand years: selectively breeding crops and animals.

I also remember seeing the sky full of jet contrails when I was a kid, and they weren't poisoning us or our crops.  ;)

We grew hybrid "Kandy Korn" sweet corn when I was a kid (awesome stuff!). Hybrids are as old as mules.

blackie

The GMOs they are talking about have only been around since the 1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism
A genetically modified organism (GMO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques.

Genetic engineering, the direct manipulation of genes, was first accomplished by Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen in 1973.[8] Advances have allowed scientists to manipulate, remove, and add genes to a variety of different organisms to induce a range of different traits. Since 1976 the technology has been commercialized, with companies producing and selling genetically modified food and medicine.

WithoutAPaddle

"If it wasn't for mutation, we'd still be amoeba"

- Nuclear physicist Ed Teller.