• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Are conspiracy kooks hurting the liberty movement?

Started by dalebert, January 14, 2014, 12:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

MaineShark

Quote from: blackie on August 05, 2014, 08:06 AM NHFTThe GMOs they are talking about have only been around since the 1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_organism
A genetically modified organism (GMO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques.

The difference being that direct manipulation is faster than waiting for the same gene to appear through mutation.

But the result is still the same: a chain of DNA that results in a particular organism, with particular traits.

Direct manipulation allows for benefits (or mistakes) to be derived much more quickly than selective breeding.  Hence, it should be used with care, in the same way that driving requires more care than walking.

It makes no sense to "hate" GMO's, just like it makes no sense to "hate" wheels.

Free libertarian

I'll take door number 3.   I hate GMO wheels.  They just don't roll the same.

blackie

Just make sure you use organic wheels, and you won't have to worry if they are GMOs.

I saw a poll recently that showed over 40% of medical marijuana patient want their weed to be organic. I get not wanting pesticides sprayed all over your food/weed, but I am not sure that plants care how they get nutrients.

I am going to take a class to see if they can show me the light.

http://www.mmcm-online.org/index.php/events
*Part 5: Organic Gardening

Learn why organically grown medicine is important and the only way
for some patients to use safely.
Our guest speaker will discuss the benefits & basics or growing
organically & how to amend soil.
There will be time allotted for questions relevant to the class
discussion. 

Free libertarian

^^^ Don't we need a license or something to say a product is "organic"  ?    ;D

blackie

Certified. I wouldn't bother with that. It only applies to dispensaries in Maine.

I picked up some veganic nutrients at the grow store today.

http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/dlrs/mmm/documents/MMMP-Rules-144c122.pdf
1.26 Organic. Organic means certified by an accredited organic certifier in the State of Maine as being in compliance with the United States Department of Agriculture certification requirements applying to organic products.

2.7.4 Registered dispensary cultivation of marijuana. The registered dispensary that has been designated by a qualifying patient to cultivate marijuana for the patient's medical use must keep all plants in an enclosed, locked facility unless the plants or paraphernalia are being transported between the retail location of the registered dispensary and the dispensary's cultivation site. For the purposes of this section only, the number of plants that may be cultivated in an enclosed outdoor area may not exceed thirty.
2.7.4.1 Access by registered cardholders. Access to the enclosed, locked facility is limited to a registered cardholder who is a principal officer, board member, or employee of a registered dispensary when acting in his or her official capacity.
2.7.4.2 RESERVED
2.7.4.3 Organic certification. Marijuana for medical use may not be labeled "organic" unless the marijuana plants and prepared marijuana are produced, processed, and certified to be consistent with national organic standards in compliance with the laws and regulations promulgated by the United States Department of Agriculture.

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Free libertarian on August 08, 2014, 09:08 AM NHFT
^^^ Don't we need a license or something to say a product is "organic"  ?    ;D

Well, you need a license to say a product is OrGREENiC ™.  Too bad that there isn't anyone who can revoke that license, because their products are J-U-N-K!

dalebert

John Stossel did a spot on organic food. I seem to recall there are far more problems with people getting sick from eating fruits and veges with fecal matter on them than food with pesticides.

Tom Sawyer

On the topic of GMOs I think that selective breeding or implanting specific genes from the selected plants to speed up the process is one thing. Implanting genes from other species to impart traits like insecticidal properties etc. are potentially a little more problematic.

Jim Johnson

Free libertarian

Quote from: dalebert on August 09, 2014, 12:11 PM NHFT
John Stossel did a spot on organic food. I seem to recall there are far more problems with people getting sick from eating fruits and veges with fecal matter on them than food with pesticides.

My Uncle smoked three packs a day and there's nothing wrong with his lung (singular) .

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on August 10, 2014, 08:17 AM NHFT

My Uncle smoked three packs a day and there's nothing wrong with his lung (singular).

A Staff Sergeant once told me, "Anyone can quit smoking, it takes a man to face cancer!" He's probably dead now.

WithoutAPaddle

A Staff Sargent once told me, "If you caught VD from a toilet seat, that was a hell of a place to take your girlfriend."

Russell Kanning

I can see that .... guess you have to wash everything :)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on August 09, 2014, 04:45 PM NHFT
On the topic of GMOs I think that selective breeding or implanting specific genes from the selected plants to speed up the process is one thing. Implanting genes from other species to impart traits like insecticidal properties etc. are potentially a little more problematic.
that makes sense to me