• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Are conspiracy kooks hurting the liberty movement?

Started by dalebert, January 14, 2014, 12:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on April 02, 2017, 02:04 PM NHFT
I could go for some nookie.

I don't think Russell is offering "that" option.
("Not that there is anything wrong with that." Obligatory Seinfeld reference)

blackie

I have the autograph of the guy who dropped the bomb on Hiroshima, Thomas Ferebee. I was looking for a signed copy of Leonard Maltin's movie review book on eBay, and saw the Thomas Ferebee one for less than $20.

There was a huge firestorm after the bomb was dropped. The firestorm released 1000 times more energy than the bomb itself.

QuoteFor decades this "Hiroshima strike" photo was misidentified as the mushroom cloud of the bomb that formed at c. 08:16.[138][139] However, due to its much greater height, the scene was identified by a researcher in March 2016 as the firestorm-cloud that engulfed the city,[139] a fire that reached its peak intensity some three hours after the bomb.[140] The image with the incorrect description featured prominently in the Hiroshima Peace Museum up to 2016,[139] though not cited, it had much earlier, also been mis-attributed and presented to the public in 1955 by US artists, with the world-touring The Family of Man exhibition. Without knowledge of the photo the output of energy from the fuel in the city, necessary to loft a stratospheric firestorm-cloud, had been estimated as 1000 times the energy of the bomb.[140] Post March estimates using the height of this Hiroshima-cloud also point at the underlying firestorm releasing approximately 1000 times the energy of the bomb.[139]

Tom Sawyer

I was stationed about 20 kilometers from Hiroshima. We were warned not to go there on the anniversary of the event.

Japanese people are the most civilized people I've encountered, but the bad ones are very bad. The communists and the Yakuza can be really vicous.

Russell Kanning

I like this guy on many subjects.
Here he thinks us flat earth Christians are potentially ruining it for the rest of them

http://drmsh.com/christians-who-believe-the-earth-is-really-flat-does-it-get-any-dumber-than-this/

Free libertarian

I'm guessing the guy that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima might not have heard of Stanley Milgram. 

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 04, 2017, 03:42 PM NHFT
Here he thinks us flat earth Christians are potentially ruining it for the rest of them

http://drmsh.com/christians-who-believe-the-earth-is-really-flat-does-it-get-any-dumber-than-this/

There are those in every group for whom "ruining it for the rest of them" is their raison d'etre.

There is evidence that demands a verdict, and on the other hand there is the attitude that "if what I believe can't be proven, then believing fervently in nonsense must mean I have more faith!"

Russell Kanning

it is funny
now there are many shows or people who don't want to mention the words Flat Earth, because they will be flooded :) crazy

Tom Sawyer

I don't know about flat...
But I do believe the earth isn't round.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 05, 2017, 03:00 PM NHFT
I don't know about flat...
But I do believe the earth isn't round.

Oblate spheroid?  ;D

I know it's not flat, because I can see Mount Washington.

There is obvious depth, because we can measure the Mariana Trench.

Since it's not a round disc existing in only two dimensions, it has depth. How much? Is it a cylinder? What's on the other side?

Or is it just turtles, all the way down?

Jim Johnson

People always forget about the elephants.
It's a good thing that they never forget about you.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: KBCraig on April 04, 2017, 06:47 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on April 04, 2017, 03:42 PM NHFT

There are those in every group for whom "ruining it for the rest of them" is their raison d'etre.

There is evidence that demands a verdict, and on the other hand there is the attitude that "if what I believe can't be proven, then believing fervently in nonsense must mean I have more faith!"

That sounds like an argument a pompous Christian would use on another Christian.

If you can believe in an all powerful invisible being there is no obstruction to believing in angels or spirits or demons or an all encompassing evil. There certainly is no obstruction at that point to any other illogical belief.

There would be a few people saying that these beliefs are more than just a little absurd. Those people might also hawk a lot of science knowledge. In defense, a believer might start asking pointed questions about scientific theories while engaging in sophistry. At some point, there would have to be a complete negation of contemporary science replaced by anecdotal shreds of evidence.

KBCraig

Quote from: Jim Johnson on April 06, 2017, 05:56 PM NHFT
That sounds like an argument a pompous Christian would use on another Christian.

Or maybe it's a highly skeptical Christian's response to another who will believe anything that's unbelievable.

Maybe you should go talk to some atheists who believe 9/11 was an inside job.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: KBCraig on April 07, 2017, 12:17 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on April 06, 2017, 05:56 PM NHFT

Or maybe it's a highly skeptical Christian's response to another who will believe anything that's unbelievable.

Maybe you should go talk to some atheists who believe 9/11 was an inside job.

Sure.... and what's he going to say to me, that he is a better non-believer because he believes?

KBCraig

I don't know, but if he takes the position of humility and points out that he doesn't know it all, you probably shouldn't call it a pompous argument.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: KBCraig on April 07, 2017, 09:46 PM NHFT
I don't know, but if he takes the position of humility and points out that he doesn't know it all, you probably shouldn't call it a pompous argument.

'I'm doing (X) which makes me a better Christian than you' is not a position of humility.

...and it definitely qualifies as pompous.