• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Shorty Dawkins General Store

Started by AlanM, January 14, 2006, 03:27 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Is anyone here interested in pursuing the idea of a Shorty Dawkins General Store? I have a friend here in NH who is looking into it. He wants an old fashioned general store, with pickle barrels, sugar and flour from the barrel, a pot-bellied stove to sit around and tell stories and have coffee. Also cheese wheels, candy in glass jars. Things like that.

cathleeninnh

I like the idea, but am cautious about the prospects of success. My feeling is that locals wouldn't be enough to support it; we would need plenty of tourist dollars. An online store might help it along. some of these already exist, so the key is LOCATION.

Cathleen

AlanM

Quote from: cathleeninnh on January 14, 2006, 06:45 PM NHFT
I like the idea, but am cautious about the prospects of success. My feeling is that locals wouldn't be enough to support it; we would need plenty of tourist dollars. An online store might help it along. some of these already exist, so the key is LOCATION.

Cathleen

Definitely an online store with it. The online version has the potential for selling a wider variety of stuff.
Tie it in with the Cafe and any other "Shorty Dawkins" brand stores. Lots of possibilities.  :)

AlanM

Quote from: AlanM on January 14, 2006, 06:56 PM NHFT
Quote from: cathleeninnh on January 14, 2006, 06:45 PM NHFT

Cathleen

Definitely an online store with it. The online version has the potential for selling a wider variety of stuff.
Tie it in with the Cafe and any other "Shorty Dawkins" brand stores. Lots of possibilities.? :)

I can see a Shorty Dawkins Stage Company in the future.
A Shorty Dawkins Publishing Company
A Shorty Dawkins Bar and Grill, or a Caleb Johnson Bar and Grill, part of the Shorty Dawkins network of fine stores.  ;)
A Shorty Dawkins News Network
A Shorty Dawkins Bluegrass and Folk Festival
A Shorty Dawkins Fishing and Hunting Store
Any other ideas?

pcwallis

Hi Scott and Alan

Please check your e-mails.  I have e-mailed you both.  I need for you both to get back to me tonight or tomorrow.

Phil Wallis
Wisconsin

pcwallis

Yes got your message also.

Phil Wallis
Wisconsin

AlanM

AlanM

The Rev. Ezekiel Cuthbert comes from the fellow who wants to start the Shorty Dawkins General Store.  ;)

AlanM

A 70 year old cantankerous fellow with a heart of gold works for my friend. He has an interesting past, and Rev. Zeke fits him to a "T"

AlanM

Scott, go ahead and post that PM I sent you. Folks can get to know Rev Zeke. ?;)

AlanM

Quote from: Scott Roth on January 20, 2006, 10:33 AM NHFT
Sometimes, life experiences can be so much more interesting, as opposed to just imagination.

Yep. Sometimes the real life experiences need a little embellishing, is all.  ;)

AlanM

Here it is:

There will be a new character making an appearance in Upton's Corners. The Rev. Ezekiel Cuthbert, a second cousin of Molly's, on her mother's side. Rev. Zeke, as most folks call him, became the part-time Reverend for the Chapel in Upton's Corners, where he gave services on Sunday, (of a non-denominational nature), and married the folks in town. He married Edna Mae and Charlie, and of course his cousin Molly and Mad Mountain Jack.
He bought a small farm near Bald Mountain that had a small pond where he could go "skinny dipping" at night. The folks in town didn't mind, and thought it was quaint that the Reverend Zeke liked to commune with nature in his "all togethers".
He didn't preach much about God, or heaven and Hell, but talked a lot, in his sermons, about folks just being nice to each other. Sometimes, if the day was nice, he'd hold the services under the old oak tree behind the Chapel.

AlanM

Next up, after the Coffee Shop, will be the General Store. Any interested parties can get in touch with me.

AlanM

Quote from: Scott Roth on January 29, 2006, 11:04 PM NHFT
Ooohhh, oooohhh, pick me...pick me!

Scott, please get down off your desk. And stop pulling little Annie's braids.
:homework:

Russell Kanning

The Gilsum Village Store is for sale the owner said when I went in there a couple of days ago. Her sister is not helping her run it anymore.

http://keenefreepress.editme.com/Available

I don't know if the Shorty Dawkins angle would boost sales there. It is out of the way in Gilsum. It is all local traffic. But it is an historic shop and not far from Uptons Corners. There are even gold mines in that area....must be some stories there. :)