• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

My heater is old, old, old

Started by dalebert, January 24, 2014, 03:11 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Here are some more pics.

It's natural gas and the primary heat source for a fairly large apt. My heat bill really isn't that bad even though I have crappy old leaky windows. I think my apt has three large rooms (counting the kitchen) and two average rooms and a smallish bathroom. I'm mostly happy with how warm it keeps my apt. It's basically an in-house furnace that just radiates heat. It's still working but it's just so old. The thermostat is a little wonky. The knob is very sticky and it needs adjusting when he outdoor temp changes much. Today I briefly smelled something that was like burning rubber which made me a little nervous but then it passed. When I look online, I see 30,000 BTU indoor ventless heaters for just a couple hundred which makes me think it might be worth replacing. This one is obviously vented though. I can't find BTUs anywhere on it. Anyone know of modern model like it?

Also, I have a natural gas stove/oven with a heater on the side but I never turn it on because the thermostat seems broken and it seems to stay on and make it too hot. It's also an antique. I can't seem to find a modern replacement for that. It's in the kitchen and would probably help to even out and supplement the heat if the thermostat worked.

Silent_Bob

There is ancient Chinese proverb...

It if works don't f*ck with it...

Also if you replace that *old* heater you will have to deal with *new* code requirements.
One being, ventless heaters are prohibited in apartments.

dalebert

Quote from: Silent_Bob on January 24, 2014, 03:31 PM NHFT
Also if you replace that *old* heater you will have to deal with *new* code requirements.
One being, ventless heaters are prohibited in apartments.

I don't actually want a ventless one. I'm just mentioning them for reference as that's all I've been able to find. I guess I (quite possibly wrongly) assumed that vented ones would be at least as simple and therefore hopefully no more expensive.

Quote from: Silent_Bob on January 24, 2014, 03:31 PM NHFT
There is ancient Chinese proverb...

It if works don't f*ck with it...

Yeah, I'm inclined to take that advice to heart, particularly if it's a much bigger project than I at first anticipated. It seemed worthwhile to do if it were like, maybe a $500 project.

Pat K

Ya as long as it's working now is not the time to mess with it.
you can use the time between now and the spring, to research and decide what to do.

dalebert

I'm inclined to agree. I am a little concerned just for safety reasons and also because it would suck if it just gave out in the middle of the most bitter part of Winter. Still, it's probably that good ole engineering of yesteryear when they kept stuph simple and made it to last.

MaineShark

Quote from: dalebert on January 24, 2014, 03:39 PM NHFTI don't actually want a ventless one. I'm just mentioning them for reference as that's all I've been able to find. I guess I (quite possibly wrongly) assumed that vented ones would be at least as simple and therefore hopefully no more expensive.

Ventfree heaters are much simpler, and less expensive.  The flip-side is that they are more efficient (100% efficient, by definition, since no heat escapes in the exhaust that it does not have).  The flip-side of that, is no moisture escapes, either, and that means you can have humidity issues.

There may be town-specific codes prohibiting ventfree appliances in apartments, but there's no general code saying so.  Ventfree appliances are prohibited in bedrooms, though.

Quote from: dalebert on January 24, 2014, 03:39 PM NHFTYeah, I'm inclined to take that advice to heart, particularly if it's a much bigger project than I at first anticipated. It seemed worthwhile to do if it were like, maybe a $500 project.

Yes, it would be quite a bit more than $500.  And, while the new appliances are more efficient, they do not offer enough of an efficiency improvement, when combined with the low cost of natural gas, to really make it sensible to replace the unit for that reason.

The biggest advantage of a new unit would be enhanced reliability, and it does sound like that one is getting old enough to be potentially problematic.  But if you want to look at replacing it preemptively, then there's no significant rush to do so, and I'd agree with Pat that it makes more sense to wait until spring/summer in that case.

There's a contractor down that way whom I often subcontract for gas work; if you decide you are interested in doing something, let me know and I'll get you his contact information.

KBCraig