• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Moving Advice

Started by Lex, January 18, 2006, 09:29 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Lex

I would like to get some advice on moving. We have a lot of stuff to bring with us and we will likely not have enough room for everything in the place where we will be staying for a year or two until we find our final home. Also, what are the best options for moving? I looked into PODS but they don't deliver to Grafton, NH, are there other similar solutions that will deliver to Grafton? I looked up rates for both U-HAUL and Budget Truck but both are averaging over $1k from Morris, IL to Cannan, NH. Is that what other have paid? It seems a bit much to pay a grand just to rent a truck for a few days! I remember when I moved from Arlington, VA to Chicago, IL it was only like $300-400 bucks.

Thanks for any advice!   :D

Lloyd Danforth

Joel and i were looking at a POD while helping someone move.  I estimated cost of constructing on at 500 bucks.  I might be off a little.  You could build one and sell it when you are through with it.

Lex

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 18, 2006, 09:35 PM NHFT
Joel and i were looking at a POD while helping someone move.  I estimated cost of constructing on at 500 bucks.  I might be off a little.  You could build one and sell it when you are through with it.

But how would I transport it? And can I buy a used one instead of constructing one from scratch?

Pat K

Dont take anything you absoultly don't need.

If you think you need it , but have not used it in the last 6 months, you don't need it.

Lex

Quote from: Pat K on January 18, 2006, 09:43 PM NHFT
Dont take anything you absoultly don't need.
If you think you need it , but have not used it in the last 6 months, you don't need it.

Well, my stuff mostly consists of books, computer and tools (table saw, miter saw, router, jigsaw, air compressor, nail gun) and some clothes. I will need the tools for building my house and I need the computer for work, the books I have been selling, I've sold about half of my books already on Amazon.com but I still have like 6 boxes. I would like to put the tools and books into storage while we search for our final piece of property.

Pat K

HMM maybe a Porc has a big garage or barn or shed that the could rent orlet you use.

Lex

Quote from: Pat K on January 18, 2006, 09:52 PM NHFT
HMM maybe a Porc has a big garage or barn or shed that the could rent orlet you use.

That would be nice! :-)

Also we might be able to work something out where they can use the tools if they are doing some project.

Lex

Probably the only thing I won't be able to store in our place for sure is the table saw but I can figure out how to fit everything else. It's not THAT much stuff :-)

cathleeninnh

Reconsider getting rid of stuff. Maybe not tools of your trade, but maybe so. But especially look at living stuff like furniture and misc. appliances, clothes and such. The cost of transport is high and replacement can be gradual. Even using something twice a year can be considered for downsizing. If you can get decent dollars for something, and you might not need it for 6-12 months or more, the money could be earning interest until needed. And you would be surprised how little you really need.

We made the move in a rented passeger van with the seats folded down.

Cathleen

Clyde

I'm not sure what a pod is but I was researching moving awhile ago and there are semi truck companies that will drop a trailer at your home and then charge you by the foot. Basically they drop the trailer after unloading something else near you, and then putting on more cargo once you've loaded it. It was somewhat cheaper but not tremendously cheaper, things could have changed since 2000. Unfortunately I can no longer remember company names.

I dug these guys up by using the search terms; shipping, semi .

http://www.moveamerica.com/

There might be other similar types of companies, I didn't dig too deeply. Hope that little bit is helpful.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: eukreign on January 18, 2006, 09:37 PM NHFT
Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 18, 2006, 09:35 PM NHFT
Joel and i were looking at a POD while helping someone move.? I estimated cost of constructing on at 500 bucks.? I might be off a little.? You could build one and sell it when you are through with it.

But how would I transport it? And can I buy a used one instead of constructing one from scratch?

I'm sure some of us would be willing to help build the pod thing. ?You could slide it on and off a flat bed truck they use for cars. This is how they move many of the ready made sheds. You could buy a ready made shed and store it at your rental or at friends until you could move it to your property when you live there.
Also, table saws make good tables. ?I know this because every time I go to use one of mine after a couple of weeks, I have to clear it off ;D

Kat Kanning

A large Penske truck from TX->NH was about $500, if I remember right.  Penske was cheaper than anything else I found.  The truck was really nice, too.

Lex

Quote from: katdillon on January 19, 2006, 07:54 AM NHFT
A large Penske truck from TX->NH was about $500, if I remember right.  Penske was cheaper than anything else I found.  The truck was really nice, too.

Wow! So, how could mine be so expensive? Maybe it's because of the return and pickup addresses?

I'll try picking Chicago, IL and Concord, NH instead of Morris, IL and Grafton, NH and see if that lowers the cost.

Lex

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 19, 2006, 07:50 AM NHFT
Also, table saws make good tables.  I know this because every time I go to use one of mine after a couple of weeks, I have to clear it off ;D

Good thinking Lloyd! I suppose I could use it as a table, a 300 lbs table! I can cover it with something...

Russell Kanning

It is expensive. That is why some of us came here very light.