• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Too Late

Started by Jim Johnson, August 17, 2014, 02:19 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I can see the sides going up fast but the ends and sealing it?

pretty cool though
I also don't mind the old fashioned quansot or however you spell it

Tom Sawyer

Dang it...  there I go reinventing the wheel, again. Although it kind of validates my idea... or at least a variant of it.  :D

dalebert

Looks poorly insulated.

Russell Kanning

i guess it has normal 2by4 walls

Tom Sawyer

R-13 they say.

QuoteQ. It gets really cold/really hot where I live, will this cabin work for me?
      A. Our cabins insulation can be upgraded to R25 and can be heated or cooled just like any other form of traditional construction. We have found our cabins to be very efficient and can be heated and cooled easily with windows units and wood burning stoves. They have had no problems from single digits to 100 plus degree days and we have no reason to think they won't continue to perform well outside of this range.

http://archedcabins.com/faq.html

KBCraig

Curved surfaces seem like a good place for spray foam insulation.

dalebert

Really? There's no room for insulation. If you put a few inches of insulation, you go form being able to take 3 steps from one wall to the other, to just taking two.

Pat K

Quote from: dalebert on August 18, 2014, 12:06 AM NHFT
Really? There's no room for insulation. If you put a few inches of insulation, you go form being able to take 3 steps from one wall to the other, to just taking two.

I think you are dimensionally challenged.

Jim Johnson

Russell Kanning

if you want a lot of insulation ..... just make a bigger shell :)

dalebert

I suppose you could just put two shells with an air gap between. Seal the gap up on both sides in an aesthetically pleasing manner. It would be like a thermos.

MaineShark

Quote from: dalebert on August 18, 2014, 05:21 PM NHFTI suppose you could just put two shells with an air gap between. Seal the gap up on both sides in an aesthetically pleasing manner. It would be like a thermos.

A thermos has a vacuum inside it.   An air gap provides some insulation, but not much.  Real insulation works by creating many, many air gaps (either bubbles in foam, or strands of fiberglass that restrict air movement).  An air gap between sheets of metal would probably provide less insulating value than an inch of foam.

Their prices seem pretty crazy, for a bit of roofing tin and some framework.  For what they're charging, you might as well just buy a small quonset hut, or other steel building.

Those sheds that Home Depot and such sell would work, for someone who wanted to set up a tiny house, quickly.  There are also a number of local shed contractors, pretty much anywhere you go - just check Craigslist.  Buy a shed, and you're weatherproof, so you can then take your time finishing the inside.

Russell Kanning

spray the foam in Dale and there you go

just leave a straw hole so you can breath :)

dalebert

Speaking of a straw for breathing, have any of you tiny house folks considered weatherproofing a coffin?   >:D