• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Oil, Gas, other Engineering Jobs

Started by KaLogain, January 21, 2006, 02:13 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KaLogain

Howdy guys and gals,

I'm a Senior at Texas A&M graduating with a degree in Petroleum Engineering.  I would really like to join the free state project and use my degree at the same time.  So does anyone have any idea of any Oil, Gas, other engineering companies or jobs, or at least some sort of contacts in NH?

Pat McCotter

Not a lot of calls for Petroleum Engineers in NH. There are public utilities you could look into. Also smaller IPP's (independent power producers) might be able to use the "engineer" side of your degree.

If you can make something work (that wasn't working - very important point here) and you don't spend a lot of time and money doing it, most any company will let you call yourself an engineer. ;D You know, "I went to school to be an engineer and now I are one."

Oh, BTW, welcome to the underground.

Russell Kanning

I have a plan to drill under the Iraqi oil fields from here in NH and steal oil from Dick Cheney. Could you help?

MaineShark

What sort of jobs are you interested in?

In other words, what does a petroleum engineer do, precisely?

Joe

cathleeninnh

KaLogain

Quote from: MaineShark on January 21, 2006, 10:38 AM NHFT
What sort of jobs are you interested in?

Joe

Well there are three parts to Petroleum Engineering, Reservoir Engineering, Drilling Engineering, and Production Engineering.  Reservoir Engineering is looking for oil and gas from data gathered from well logs (sending an instrument down a well and gathering data), core samples
(samples of rock from down a well), and previous history of a field.  Drilling Engineering is knowing how to drill a well and that sort of thing.  Production Engineering is getting the oil and/or gas out of the well as efficiently as possible.  And there are also all sorts of things a Petroleum Engineer could do in-between these things and outside of them.

Quote from: freedominnh on January 22, 2006, 01:15 PM NHFT
Sprague Refinery in Newington.  Check on Irving Oil (Canadien w/ strong NH presence)  and Gulf in Portland, ME.  Check Revere, MA and Boston Harbor area for petro suppliers.  Clean Harbors is huge environmental cleanup co.  Waste Management is NH hqtrd in Hampton on Liberty Lane.   

Thank you, I will look into these thigns.

Quote from: russellkanning on January 21, 2006, 10:02 AM NHFT
I have a plan to drill under the Iraqi oil fields from here in NH and steal oil from Dick Cheney. Could you help?

That would probaly require drilling a well down and then horizontally under the Atlantic Ocean and then to Irag.  I'm not quite sure that is entirely possible, but it would be a world record. hehe

Lex

Quote from: KaLogain on January 23, 2006, 12:27 AM NHFT
Well there are three parts to Petroleum Engineering, Reservoir Engineering, Drilling Engineering, and Production Engineering.  Reservoir Engineering is looking for oil and gas from data gathered from well logs (sending an instrument down a well and gathering data), core samples
(samples of rock from down a well), and previous history of a field.  Drilling Engineering is knowing how to drill a well and that sort of thing.  Production Engineering is getting the oil and/or gas out of the well as efficiently as possible.  And there are also all sorts of things a Petroleum Engineer could do in-between these things and outside of them.

I will need a well made for water. Does that apply?

KaLogain

Quote from: eukreign on January 23, 2006, 12:36 AM NHFT

I will need a well made for water. Does that apply?

Well an oil or gas well usually require big setups.  I'm not exactly sure how the two compare.  For the type of well i'm talking about, I would be a member of a team instead of doing things myself.  So again, I'm not sure how you'd want to handle that.

Lex

Quote from: KaLogain on January 23, 2006, 12:50 AM NHFT
Well an oil or gas well usually require big setups.  I'm not exactly sure how the two compare.  For the type of well i'm talking about, I would be a member of a team instead of doing things myself.  So again, I'm not sure how you'd want to handle that.

Probably not the same thing then. Was just wonder'n.

KaLogain

Quote from: eukreign on January 23, 2006, 12:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: KaLogain on January 23, 2006, 12:50 AM NHFT

Probably not the same thing then. Was just wonder'n.

Though I did just remember a story of some very experienced drilling engineers drilling a water well for some town or village that was a very intresting position.  If I remember correctly, there was a lake or reservoir that was higher thant he village, so they drilled a hole  from the bottom of the lake/reservoir to the town.  Pretty Intresting.

MaineShark

Quote from: MaineShark on January 21, 2006, 10:38 AM NHFTWhat sort of jobs are you interested in?

I'm not aware of any petroleum deposits under NH, so I don't think that you'd be doing much drilling.  It's possible that there may be some engineering firm that happens to be headquartered in NH, which might send you to various sites, or have you work in-house with data that was acquired; you'd have to use industry contacts to find out about something like that, I expect.

Barring directly-related jobs, what sort of "in-between and outside" things might interest you?

Joe

KBCraig

Doesn't petroleum engineering rely on lots of GIS? There are always firms needing GIS geeks for forestry and timber management, real estate planning, environmental compliance, etc. Even the White Mountain Land Club, which grew out of the FSP, is doing something like this.

Kevin

KaLogain

Quote from: MaineShark on January 23, 2006, 03:12 PM NHFT

I'm not aware of any petroleum deposits under NH, so I don't think that you'd be doing much drilling.  It's possible that there may be some engineering firm that happens to be headquartered in NH, which might send you to various sites, or have you work in-house with data that was acquired; you'd have to use industry contacts to find out about something like that, I expect.

Barring directly-related jobs, what sort of "in-between and outside" things might interest you?

Joe

I don't think there are any petroleum reservoirs either.  Yes I would like to work for an engineering firm headquartered or has an office in NH.  Or even some sort of consulting for any sort of company that would be intrested in my skills.  I have varied computer skills, from office suites, light computer programming, knowing my way around the Windows operating system, a fast learner of new software, and computer hardware.

Quote from: KBCraig on January 23, 2006, 04:57 PM NHFT
Doesn't petroleum engineering rely on lots of GIS? There are always firms needing GIS geeks for forestry and timber management, real estate planning, environmental compliance, etc. Even the White Mountain Land Club, which grew out of the FSP, is doing something like this.

Kevin

Yes we do, but we don't personaly handle that much of it.

citizen_142002

There is obviously no real opportunity for drilling in New Hampshire,but there are most likely firms with branches in or around the state. Have you tried going to the corporate websites and searching their databases for New Hampshire offices/opportunities.
There may be the possibility that you could get a job here which would merely require some traveling. What ball park does the average salary for Petroleum Engineers fall in?

KBCraig

How about "Official FSP Biodiesel Brewer"?  ;D