• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Fuck it I quit.

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 22, 2014, 10:46 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Jim Johnson

They didn't say why she had a 'fuck it' attitude.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 23, 2014, 05:03 AM NHFT

She appears to have had a secret life as a cannabis super hero... TV reporter by day, cannabis club organizer by night. She was reporting about the issue and was running up against the prohibitionist/cop opposition and knowing she was to be outed made a splash. Pretty ballsy to run a pot distribution company in the open. I predict a bright future for her and the issue. Well played.

Alaska Cannabis Club's indiegogo campaign including a video explaining her cause.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/alaska-cannabis-club-s-freedom-fairness-fight

dalebert

I can't believe IndieGoGo doesn't offer a PayPal option. I'll usually throw a dollar at any campaign that has a little bit of merit because it boosts their visibility. I'm just not going to go through all the tedious credit card info for that.

WithoutAPaddle

It just seems to me that unless she is using the pretense of distribution of medical marijuana to hide a profitable business of selling recreational marijuana, she has just blown her only visible means of supporting herself.

A lot of people have publicly quit good communications jobs in the past, though admittedly not with this much pinache.  Jerry terHorst created a national firestorm when he publicly quit his job.  Does anyone even know who he was?  What about that girl that quit her broadcast job on Russia Today when she discovered that her employer was committed to presenting biased news (yeah, riiiiiiight)?  I don't even remember her name even though I regularly watch that channel, but to tell you the truth, I didn't know her name when she was still working there, either.  I think some reporter quit a Maine TV affiliate on the air a year or two ago, maybe because the station management required him or her to follow every story on global warming with a story debunking it, but it was later reported that he or she was probably going to get canned anyway.   

There is a slang phrase from 1940s Edward G. Robinson/Humphrey Bogart type gangster films about imminent discovery of illicit activity that might reasonably characterize the otherwise precarious nature of reporter Charlo Greene's employment that would be a double en tendre if used in this situation.

The fact is, we are all so inoculated against the impact of aberrant public behavior that this bizarre departure just doesn't have the  shock value that it might have had a couple of decades ago.

Tom Sawyer

I imagine her to have a future in the legal cannabis industry. The bold/pioneers are either destroyed or on the leading edge of the new opportunity.

Alaska has a good cannabis track record going back 30 years. The supreme court ruled that privacy of the home trumped the invade and terrorize model of enforcement.

I met a guy who had the police come to his house on an arrest warrant for a roommate that no longer lived there. They were searching the residence. This guy warned them to cover their eyes as they were opening a door. They were like, 'Why do we need to cover our eyes?' He said, "Because it's bright in there." They opened the door to his grow room. They carefully searched, looking around the plants. Then they closed the door, smiled and left the home.

A court case involved a guy arrested that was smoking a joint in the bathroom that had a pay toilet. The court ruled that the fact that he had "rented" the stall meant that they would have needed a warrant to enter, just as if it were his home.

blackie

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 23, 2014, 11:14 AM NHFT
Alaska has a good cannabis track record going back 30 years.
The medical marijuana laws are ok, but not great. According to ASA, NH has better MMJ laws. NH got a D, and Alaska got a D-.

QUALIFYING CONDITIONS
    Cachexia
    Cancer
    Chronic Pain
    Glaucoma
    HIV or AIDS
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Nausea
    Seizures

PATIENT POSSESSION LIMITS
One ounce of usable marijuana

HOME CULTIVATION
Yes, six plants allowed, no more than three may be mature.

STATE-LICENSED DISPENSARIES ALLOWED
No

CAREGIVERS
Yes, the caregiver must be 21 years of age or older. The caregiver can never have been convicted of a felony controlled substances offense. The caregiver must be listed by the patient as either the primary caregiver or an alternate caregiver. Only one primary caregiver and one alternate caregiver may be listed in the registry for a patient. A person may be a primary caregiver or alternate caregiver for only one patient at a time, unless the primary caregiver or alternate caregiver is simultaneously caring for two or more patients who are related to the caregiver by at least the fourth degree of kinship by blood or marriage.

RECIPROCITY
No

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 23, 2014, 09:15 AM NHFT

She appears to have had a secret life as a cannabis super hero... TV reporter by day, cannabis club organizer by night. She was reporting about the issue and was running up against the prohibitionist/cop opposition and knowing she was to be outed made a splash. Pretty ballsy to run a pot distribution company in the open. I predict a bright future for her and the issue. Well played.

Alaska Cannabis Club's indiegogo campaign including a video explaining her cause.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/alaska-cannabis-club-s-freedom-fairness-fight

That's what Superman should have done in the second Superman comic, write a 'fuck it' story for the editor.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: blackie on September 23, 2014, 12:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 23, 2014, 11:14 AM NHFT
Alaska has a good cannabis track record going back 30 years.
The medical marijuana laws are ok, but not great. According to ASA, NH has better MMJ laws. NH got a D, and Alaska got a D-.

Hopefully the tide is continuing to go the right way. I think we are past the tipping point where states are going to see places like Washington and Colorado and jump on board.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 23, 2014, 04:47 PM NHFT

That's what Superman should have done in the second Superman comic, write a 'fuck it' story for the editor.

;D ;D ;D

Atlas Shrugged was the ultimate 'fuck it' story!

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 23, 2014, 05:12 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 23, 2014, 04:47 PM NHFT

;D ;D ;D

Atlas Shrugged was the ultimate 'fuck it' story!

John Galt's 'fuck it' speech was 60 pages long.

Russell Kanning

it does seem like it is turning
you hear people talking
Colorado has not blown up or anything

blackie

The tide has turned, but Washington and Colorado laws still kinda suck. Those states needs to allow self grow.

http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-costs-us-how-black-market-retail-medical-pot-prices-compare-1622362

Maine will probably legalize in 2016.

Portland ME passed a legalization ordinance last fall. 70% voted for it.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/11/07/portland-did-not-really-legalize-marijuana-but-the-success-of-question-1-is-still-good-news/

South Portland and Lewiston will be voting on legalization in November.

The York selectmen are being bitches.
http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/local/2014/09/19/marijuana-legalization-york-selectmen-court/15905927/
ALFRED, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - Supporters of the legalization of marijuana took their case against the York Board of Selectmen to court.

The supporters gathered enough signatures to put the question before voters in that Southern Maine town in November, but selectmen voted to not allow it on. An attorney for the town argued that it's their right because marijuana is considered illegal under state and federal law.

"The town is not obligated to put a referendum on the ballot where the subject matter is illegal already by state and federal law and would be legislatively Futile," said Dan Murphy, the attorney for the Town of York

The judge pointed to an important word in the Town of York's Charter, "lawful." He said under the charter, citizens can attempt to pass any lawful ordinance. Because of current state and federal law on marijuana, the judge denied the supporters request to put the question on the ballot.

Tom Sawyer

That kind of pricing will keep the illicit market alive... which is probably a good thing.

"Well, we used to attack and imprison the Jews dopers. Now we will be kind and only tax the hell out of them."  :P ;D

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: blackie on September 24, 2014, 08:19 AM NHFT
The tide has turned, but Washington and Colorado laws still kinda suck. Those states needs to allow self grow.

http://www.ibtimes.com/marijuana-costs-us-how-black-market-retail-medical-pot-prices-compare-1622362

The mention in that article that New Hampshire has among the highest prices for illicit weed certainly won't help Free State recruitment.  Last time I bought an ounce in New Hampshire, it cost $20.  I split it into five unweighed bags of similar volume and sold four of them for five bucks each and kept the fifth one for myself.

I had a little trouble following the tax arithmetic in the article, but it made it seem like all the taxes added up to nearly a 75% add-on to the base price.  I think the sum of the add-on taxes to tobacco products comes to more than that.

Still, if the wholesale cost of marijuana is $250 an ounce, how can it be that high?  Isn't the actual production cost a tiny fraction of that amount?

FWIW, that article is two and a half months old.  I scrolled down to the comments to see if any readers were commenting on the economics employed in the article and was surprised to see that there were no reader comments, just one double post of a sales plug.  I then viewed half a dozen other articles on that site, "International Business Times", and most had received no comments and none had more than three.  I'm not sure what to make of all that.