• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

More lack of discernment in the Keene movement

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 29, 2014, 12:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I didn't say anything about how clean a tenant or if he owed money.

obfuscating/prevaricating

Like some kind of mobius strip.

Luckily, others have expressed similar observations to me.

I conceded, others can spend the mental energy to figure out what motivates the behavior.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 08, 2015, 10:04 PM NHFT

Watch as Mark reins FTL's Cantwell in and Ian appears to forget their own tagline is "Talk Radio You Control" Dear Caller: You Lose

Dammit, Tom, you caused me to click on a CC video!

But since I had already clicked, I let it play. Wow, what an egotistical, smug, self-ingratiating sociopathic POS he is.

I already knew that, which is why I stopped letting him into my life a long time ago.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 08, 2015, 08:03 PM NHFT

No, the comments were for those who have advice for a community of which they have to not be a part.

I've re-read this several times, and I still have no idea how to parse what you're trying to say.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 08, 2015, 08:32 PM NHFT

We are doing a show, and the more entertaining, the better.

Better for what?

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 09, 2015, 05:04 PM NHFT
I didn't say anything about how clean a tenant or if he owed money.

obfuscating/prevaricating

Like some kind of mobius strip.

Luckily, others have expressed similar observations to me.

I conceded, others can spend the mental energy to figure out what motivates the behavior.

Tom, I asked two clear questions and you didn't answer either.  Obfuscate much?   ::)

MaineShark

Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 08, 2015, 08:03 PM NHFTNo, the comments were for those who have advice for a community of which they have to not be a part.

Which community?  The liberty community?  I think the folks offering advice are all part of that community.  As are you.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 08, 2015, 08:03 PM NHFTWe don't discern enough, exclude enough, etc etc.  I'm tired of it.  I don't require perfection of my friends and associates, but if they do something that's wrong, I'm happy to hash it out with the parties involved.

It's not an issue of perfection.  Humans are imperfect, and always will be.  But you, I, folks here, and many other all tell the general population that liberty can work because enough folks will be responsible, and that responsibility will be enough to deal with those who would cause trouble, without the coercive State to do that.  Part of that means speaking up when you know someone has a history of causing harm, so others can avoid being harmed.  That doesn't mean you need to have weekly witch-hunts.  But it does mean that, if we are going to lead by example and show folks that they can have a peaceful, functional society, without a coercive State to control everyone, we have to demonstrate how that works.

So, as I've said before, we need discernment.  We - all of us, 'cause I'm not picking on you - need to demonstrate how that works.  That does not mean we should never associate with someone who has faults, but it does mean that we should be acknowledging those faults, and explaining how we believe that those faults don't outweigh the contributions this individual has to offer, rather than acting in a way that makes it appear that we are keeping our heads in the sand and not even attempting to discern what faults may or may not exist.

Who would you rather work with: someone who has a bunch of ladders, and tells you that one of them is old and can't handle much weight (he threw out the other old ones), but he doesn't know which, or someone who has several such ladders, but can tell you which ones they are, so you don't use them for heavy lifting?  I'd rather work with the second, who actually engages in less exclusion of faulty ladders, but more discernment as to which ones need a little extra care when used.

FTL_Ian

The Keene community.  That's what this thread is about.  It's about people who don't live here and don't visit here telling us we're doing it wrong.

We in Keene already knew JP has said many questionable things.  That's not news to activists here - he's already a controversial character around here because of that.  Some people have excommunicated him others proceed with caution.  I'm in the latter group.

Tom Sawyer

First went to Keene twenty years ago. Our son was born in Keene. In the fair weather we go to Keene a couple of times a week. Our activism mostly revolved around Keene.

If his first post had been the second paragraph of the post above I wouldn't have had anything to go off on. Although Ian decided to come onto the thread and take ownership of the lack of discernment and spin it. Too clever by half. It is a repeating pattern I have observed. Others have told me of similar observations.

Tom Sawyer

Funny article from MK Lords...
Liberty's Lady of Stalingrad

QuoteMost recently, my biggest fan Chris Cantwell tried to bully the hosts of popular libertarian radio show Free Talk Live into not saying my name when I called in to challenge his most recent article of filth. Chris makes his living writing half researched articles with barely baked premises and harassing meter maids for liberty....

Don't miss the video Can't Well-Don't Say Her Name
http://youtu.be/CvCrbiA-n0s

The women of the movement are likely to be the ones to save it from itself.

FTL_Ian

MK Lords and Chris Cantwell are both my friends.   ::)

Russell Kanning

MaineShark

Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 11, 2015, 05:53 PM NHFTThe Keene community.  That's what this thread is about.  It's about people who don't live here and don't visit here telling us we're doing it wrong.

Is it?

Is that the only community involved?  Most folks are members of a number of different communities.

It seems to me that folks would not really be concerned if it were not for the fact that they, you, and many others are all part of the liberty community.

Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 11, 2015, 05:53 PM NHFTWe in Keene already knew JP has said many questionable things.  That's not news to activists here - he's already a controversial character around here because of that.  Some people have excommunicated him others proceed with caution.  I'm in the latter group.

I don't doubt that you do, and that you actually make such decisions.  But that's not how it appears.  The appearance is that there is unabashed support.  It appears that you're telling everyone outside a particular geopolitical entity that these folks are great - that the ladders are all perfect.

Free libertarian

Whenever I run into a moral dilemma, I often ask myself "what would Graffy do" ?   

That's not the same as saying what does Graffy's doo look like.  To my knowledge his shit doesn't stink, a faint odor of seaweed and mollusk maybe, but it doesn't stink.  The rest of us, well we all probably smell a little at least.

Russell Kanning

FTL_Ian

Quote from: MaineShark on February 12, 2015, 09:28 AM NHFT
But that's not how it appears.  The appearance is that there is unabashed support.  It appears that you're telling everyone outside a particular geopolitical entity that these folks are great - that the ladders are all perfect.

Why does it appear that way to you?  What can you point to that is painting such a picture?  Is it because of a lack of drama?  Usually people consider that a good thing.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 12, 2015, 09:23 AM NHFT
why is Chris Cantwell your friend?

I find him to be likable and a good activist.  We get along well and I enjoy his company.  He's not a monster, as many would have you believe. 

FTL_Ian

Quote from: MaineShark on February 12, 2015, 09:28 AM NHFT
Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 11, 2015, 05:53 PM NHFTThe Keene community.  That's what this thread is about.  It's about people who don't live here and don't visit here telling us we're doing it wrong.

Is it?

Is that the only community involved?  Most folks are members of a number of different communities.

It seems to me that folks would not really be concerned if it were not for the fact that they, you, and many others are all part of the liberty community.

The community that matters most to me is the Keene-area community.  Less-so, the rest of NH, less-than-that, the rest of the world.  People are going to have all kinds of uninformed opinions about the activism and activists here.  That's part-and-parcel with being on-the-map with our activism here.

So, to answer your question, if someone's not involved in Keene and doesn't care enough to get involved, then my concern for their critique is very small.  I'm only spending so much time on this thread because I respect many of the people here - they've earned that respect by being solid activists in the past.