• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

More lack of discernment in the Keene movement

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 29, 2014, 12:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 29, 2015, 06:55 PM NHFT
JOËL VALENZUELA's blog got picked up by the lefties...
Miscellany Blue - NH Politics

Free Stater exposes 'seedy underbelly' of liberty movement: 'We attract the dregs of society'

Julie Borowski complimented him on his article which she had read. She gave him kudos for calling people out within the movement. It was actually one of her points in the presentation. LOTS of people follow Julie and will discover us through her.

http://julieborowski.com/my-experience-at-porcfest/

What's funny to me is while you are making a case founded in common sense and good judgment, there is another more extremist element arguing for us to filter out all the impure, i.e. anyone who falls short of full-on macho-flash anarchist. It's actually a very intolerant attitude, particularly considering that there are very few of us who weren't statists to some degree or another at some point and we were persuaded toward liberty, and it wasn't so we could join the cool kids group. It's because we were already hanging out with the cool kids.

MaineShark

Quote from: dalebert on June 30, 2015, 07:02 AM NHFTWhat's funny to me is while you are making a case founded in common sense and good judgment, there is another more extremist element arguing for us to filter out all the impure, i.e. anyone who falls short of full-on macho-flash anarchist. It's actually a very intolerant attitude, particularly considering that there are very few of us who weren't statists to some degree or another at some point and we were persuaded toward liberty, and it wasn't so we could join the cool kids group. It's because we were already hanging out with the cool kids.

And, oddly enough, those few of us who actually have been consistent anarchists our whole lives... aren't the ones calling for witch-hunts.

Russell Kanning

K neth

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 19, 2015, 04:48 PM NHFT

Ian is the kind of "friend" that sends danger to his friends. Feels he should take no responsibility to consider the possible danger to his friends.
I personally am shunning him and his repeated behavior. I know that doesn't mean much. Well except to my own sense of right and wrong.

I'm friends with some Friends and the Friends do shunning.  It seems like a useful tactic for living right, but in practice I wonder how well it works out.  Do I walk out of the room when the shameful walks in, or turn my back to him, like they do to the dishonored in the Klingon High Council?  It seems like I might just miss some good parties with no good result.

Tom, what actions have you taken or not taken in your shunning of Ian these few months?

How has it worked out?

Free libertarian

Becky Thatcher

Quote from: Free libertarian on June 30, 2015, 03:18 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on June 30, 2015, 09:44 AM NHFT
when do we start the witch hunts?

You need to buy a hunting license first.   ;D

And get a fire permit.  There is always a bonfire involved in any self-respecting witch hunt.   :campfire:

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: K neth on June 30, 2015, 02:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 19, 2015, 04:48 PM NHFT

Ian is the kind of "friend" that sends danger to his friends. Feels he should take no responsibility to consider the possible danger to his friends.
I personally am shunning him and his repeated behavior. I know that doesn't mean much. Well except to my own sense of right and wrong.

I'm friends with some Friends and the Friends do shunning.  It seems like a useful tactic for living right, but in practice I wonder how well it works out.  Do I walk out of the room when the shameful walks in, or turn my back to him, like they do to the dishonored in the Klingon High Council?  It seems like I might just miss some good parties with no good result.

Tom, what actions have you taken or not taken in your shunning of Ian these few months?

How has it worked out?

I have not wanted to continue any animosity. I bumped into Ian at Porcfest and said a polite hello. Once I figure someone out I can't un-know what I know.

I have had multiple people confide in me of their feelings. I usually relax on these kind of issues when I see that others recognize the problem.

It's not really about Ian or Cantwell or JP or... it's a lack of wisdom or people not recognizing that motives matter. They matter a lot. I can forgive mistakes that people make if their motives are good.

I don't expect to change the world by not involving me and mine with what I don't have faith in. But, I do affect my world and sometimes I've seen that being brave enough to say what you feel helps others figure out how they feel.

KBCraig

eglove

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 29, 2015, 06:55 PM NHFT
JOËL VALENZUELA's blog got picked up by the lefties...
Miscellany Blue - NH Politics

Free Stater exposes 'seedy underbelly' of liberty movement: 'We attract the dregs of society'

Valenzuela's article was fantastic though. It's true that some scumbags are welcome, and publically try to represent libertarianism and get no repercussion.

Tom Sawyer

eglove is featured by Garrett Ean in this episode of AKPF regarding Cant(do)well.

AKPF #1: Cultwell
https://youtu.be/lD9Glg6CtEk

Ethan and Garrett reference a blog post that Ethan wrote
An Epic Tale of King Baby

dalebert

eglove

Quote from: dalebert on September 20, 2015, 08:19 PM NHFT
https://www.facebook.com/local.scrutinizer/posts/1723593114531350?comment_id=1723671954523466

It's true Ian doesn't have as much support as he thinks. His obsessive push towards bad software like Slack just because he doesn't like FB isn't going so well. (7 people is considered victory?) But it doesn't take away from the fact that he acts like a sociopath. Nice guy? Sure. Say hello and ask what's up.

But when you get into this weird KAC life, it's like the vampires that live in nests from True Blood. (Sorry for the reference.) That group feeds off of one another, drive drama to the extreme, and because it's the "mediaites" it drives people away. How many times have you seen people say they won't move to NH or no longer support the FSP because of KAC drama being publicized on the biggest, most public places like the FTL fb page (and the freaking show itself?)

I feel like at least 50% of what Ian does requires damage control. And considering that aside from the show, he's really not doing as much as he thinks, it's not worth it at all.

EDIT: Vampire nests according to the True Blood Wiki: "Nests are described (by Bill in the first season) as causing the vampires living in them to become more cruel. Pam implies this is linked to their drinking each other's blood and assuming the personality traits of the strongest, and usually cruelest, member."

K neth

Quote from: eglove on September 21, 2015, 01:43 AM NHFTAnd considering that aside from the show, he's really not doing as much as he thinks, it's not worth it at all.

The couch controversy was definitely worth it, even if I'm not. :O)

Free libertarian

Sometimes we can not like a person and that skews our perception of the legitimacy / efficacy of some of their actions.  I try to keep this in mind when making assessments. 

For the record, I like everybody though.   ;D

Russell Kanning

I just read on a comment on a free keene blog post that Ian has put Cantrell off the show. I don't know how long ago this was, but it makes sense.