• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Cardboard Sled Race 2015

Started by Tom Sawyer, February 13, 2015, 05:47 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Our very own internationally acclaimed Kinetic Sculpture racing World Champions and 2009 Cardboard Sled Race Champions
Jim and Lauren are willing to advise and supervise a group of homeschoolers and adult kids in our attempt to recapture the gold
at the 2015 ANNUAL INTRAGALACTIC CARDBOARD SLED RACE  to be held at the  Mount Sunapee Resort SATURDAY, APRIL 11, 2015

Yar!!!! The motley crew of the 2009 entree the Pirate Ship Griffin... Captain, First Mate, and Half Mate...

The crew prepare to cast off...

Freedom!!!! Avast ye swabs.... what the ship lacked in speed was more than made up in style and construction earning them the Overall Award!
I mean who wouldn't think that giant pirate hat was cool!

Russell Kanning

that was one of the most fun things I ever went to in the Shire

Pat K

Russell Kanning

I rode the bus up to the Alta ski resort here in Salt Lake. It was 47 degrees up there. It reminded me of that spring day with the manmade snow at Sunapee.
Do you guys remember that Popemobile entry with the guy waving as he slid to his doom? :)

Becky Thatcher

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 13, 2015, 07:05 PM NHFT
I rode the bus up to the Alta ski resort here in Salt Lake. It was 47 degrees up there. It reminded me of that spring day with the manmade snow at Sunapee.
Do you guys remember that Popemobile entry with the guy waving as he slid to his doom? :)

I remember that guy. ;D He was definitely a crowd favourite.  He was blessing everyone on his way down the slope. :D

I'm really looking forward to the race this year.  We had a blast at the last one.

Tom Sawyer

Hey Jim I thought I should check with carpet stores for some heavy gauge cardboard tubes for structural use.

Jim Johnson

We could use some heavy cardboard tubes.

Free libertarian

It made me feel all Grandfatherly inspired seeing this.

Very cool the nice Pirates are going to help the kids out.  Thanks Pirates!

Tom Sawyer

Made contact with a place in Keene that is more than happy to help. We just need Johnson Trucking to do a pickup, due to the tubes being 12 feet long. Also he is setting aside large pieces of cardboard as well.  8)

Russell Kanning

oh yea .... this is gunna be good

Tom Sawyer

Basic Chassis is framed out... funny thing was the cardboard tube we got from the carpet place says Johnsonite on it.  ;D

Jim Johnson

WithoutAPaddle

Great.  Grown-ups making cardboard sleds.  That reminds me of the grown-ups making the commercial looking Pinewood Derby racecars in Cub Scouts.

A cardboard sled is what the poor kids in my neighborhood used because they couldn't afford real sleds.  They used to go to Sundeen's appliance store and take refrigerator boxes out of their trash and tear off a side and use that.  Four sleds to a box.

Jim Johnson

So, you're going to be there? ...or help finance the outing?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on February 17, 2015, 09:14 PM NHFT
Great.  Grown-ups making cardboard sleds.  That reminds me of the grown-ups maling the commercial looking Pinewood Derby racecars in Cub Scouts.

A cardboard sled is what the poor kids in my neighborhood used because they couldn't afford real sleds.  The used to go to Sundeen's appliance store and take refrigerator boxes out of their trash and tear off a side and use that.  Four sleds to a box.

That's right we are here to crush little poor kid's dreams!  ;D

Not really... we are trying to show kids how much fun they could have if they came and joined us in the Shire.  :D
Winter in the Shire... Not just something you have to make it through, it's a feature!

I made a kind of hang glider out of a freezer box when I was a kid.  ;D
How come I didn't break my legs?