• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Prolly in Keene today

Started by dalebert, February 18, 2015, 08:18 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

I need to shovel snow off the flat part of my roof and give money to my neighbor for snow removal.

dalebert

I'll probably get there right around lunch time so I'll see if folks are up for lunch before I start working.

Jim Johnson

Tom Sawyer

William and I could come over... have some stuph to do over there anyway.

Jim Johnson

12:30 at Mi Jalisco

..."that place next to the Hannaford's."

dalebert

I'm prolly coming down tomorrow again to deal with the ice dams. I might be open to some help in that area.

The flat roof ended up being an all afternoon task that was super exhausting. I don't think it would have been that bad except I spent a lot of time trying to remove a couple of inches of ice that probably doesn't even matter. Last time I did it, I was able to remove it easier but I think that's because the house was occupied and being kept warmer so it was a little melted underneath. The ice is still there but there are no shingles. It's a rubber roof and all that snow is off it now.

I don't think dealing with the ice dams on the slanted edges should be as bad but it does potentially involve a lot of ladder stuff so I'd feel better if I wasn't all alone. I've heard things about throwing nylons filled with ice melt up there. Maybe some of he higher spots can be dealt with that way.

Jim Johnson

Tom Sawyer

I'll come help you if you need.

KBCraig

Quote from: Jim Johnson on February 19, 2015, 03:18 PM NHFT
Roofmelt
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roofmelt-Ice-Melt-RM-65/202536089
...is a tablet that one can throw onto the roof.

Or, just fill some old tube socks or knee-high nylon stockings with ice melt, and lay them so that they will create channels through the ice dam. That's what I just did.

Last year I didn't have a ladder tall enough, so I just tossed a few salt bombs up, and they were almost as effective.

blackie

You want calcium chloride as the ice melt. Once the tubes are up on the roof you can hose them down with sub zero windsheid washer fluid to start the melting process.

Free libertarian

When removing ice from a flattish or flat roof, gotta be careful of putting holes in the surface.  It can happen easier than we'd like and
while initiating aggression on the snow accomplishes the snow removal, it can bring the next roof problem, leaks, into the maintenance que.   So...proportionality is a good thing when "defending" the roof.  ;D

dalebert

I've been delayed. A friend was in a fender-bender. But we're heading down very soon after I cram some bacon into my face. I'm planning to stop and get the hockey puck things and then go clear a little snow with a snow rake and put the pucks up there. Then I'll be up for lunch while I wait for them to do their thang. I may not need help. Not sure yet.

Pat K

Take my word for it, you need Help.  ;D