• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Grafton Apple Fest 2015: Pruning party at Hoyt

Started by MTPorcupine3, April 21, 2015, 09:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MTPorcupine3

Bob H has expressed a desire to have the apple trees at Hoyt pruned, fertilised, and mulch, so that hopefully we'll have apples for Apple Fest.

I did a recon on Sunday and found that it's a job that's going to require machinery and multiple volunteers. Can any of you be among them and help me get the word out? We're gonna need chainsaws and other implements of destruction, and truckloads of manure and mulch.

Timewise, this coming weekend is our best bet; the pruning really should be done by now.

Tom Sawyer

8)  :)

That will be nice to have ya'lls apples for the Lloyd press.

Be careful not to give them too much nitrogen. The manure can be pretty "hot" unless it is composted. Too much nitrogen will lead to excess leaf and stem growth. Phosphorus and Potassium are good for flowering, fruiting and root growth.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 21, 2015, 10:13 AM NHFT
8)  :)

That will be nice to have ya'lls apples for the Lloyd press.

Be careful not to give them too much nitrogen. The manure can be pretty "hot" unless it is composted. Too much nitrogen will lead to excess leaf and stem growth. Phosphorus and Potassium are good for flowering, fruiting and root growth.

A small amount of blood meal and some bone meal for nitrogen and phosphorus might help.  If we can remember where we hid the bodies, we should be able to get plenty of both.

Potash is good for potassium.  I'm pretty sure we can find some pot ash around somewhere.

Hope this helps.

MTPorcupine3

Thank you for the suggestions. If you want to help with the labour, we have a crew planned for 10 a.m. tomorrow, Sunday morning.

Tom Sawyer

We are unable to make the trip. We are getting prepared to plant blueberries here.

Good luck at the farm.  :) 8)

Pat K

I am a bit to far away to make the commute, but I am there in
spirt. Drink a Beer for me.