• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

11-Year-Old Boy Removed From Mother For Defending Her Need For Medicinal Cannabi

Started by Silent_Bob, April 24, 2015, 04:00 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent_Bob

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-24/11-year-old-boy-removed-mother-defending-her-need-medicinal-cannabis

Yesterday Shona Banda, the Kansas medical marijuana activist whose home was searched after her 11-year-old son challenged anti-pot propaganda at school, failed to regain custody of the boy, who is now under the control of Child Protective Services (CPS). "I am not giving up," Banda said after yesterday's family court hearing. "I will get him, and I am not going to stop until I do."

– From the Reason article: Police Say Kidnapping Medical Marijuana Activist's 11-Year-Old Son Is for 'the Child's Well-Being'

Taking a child away from its parents is one of the most serious and emotionally traumatizing things you can do. Anyone tasked with such extraordinary power should take the responsibility extremely seriously. Unfortunately, that's not how Child Protective Services (CPS) in Kansas sees things.

This is the story of an 11-year-old boy who bravely defended his mom's used of cannabis oil during a anti-drug program at his school. His mother suffers from Crohn's disease and uses cannabis oil to treat her symptoms. If she lived here in Colorado, or any of the other 23 states enlightened enough to permit adults to use a plant for medical purposes, her son (who obviously loves his mom enough to defend her in class) would still be with her.

This is just the latest example of bureaucrats who think they know best doing untold damage for no good reason. They are the ones who should be charged with abuse and neglect. Absolutely horrifying. From Reason:

Yesterday Shona Banda, the Kansas medical marijuana activist whose home was searched after her 11-year-old son challenged anti-pot propaganda at school, failed to regain custody of the boy, who is now under the control of Child Protective Services (CPS). "I am not giving up," Banda said after yesterday's family court hearing. "I will get him, and I am not going to stop until I do."

The Garden City Police Department, which conducted the search of Banda's home, insists that the state-sanctioned kidnapping is in the boy's best interest. "The most important thing here is the child's well-being," said Capt. Randy Ralston. "That is why it is a priority for us, just because of the danger to the child."

Yes, snatching away a young child from his mother because she uses a plant to treat a disease is clearly in the boy's best interest. What a monumental moron this guy is.

Banda uses cannabis oil to treat the symptoms of Crohn's disease, a fact that she openly discusses. But Kansas is not one of the 23 states that recognize marijuana as a medicine, so all use of cannabis is equally illegal there. Ralston emphasizes that "the items taken from the residence were within easy reach of the child," although he cites no evidence that the boy was actually endangered by his mother's medicine.

Banda has not been formally accused of any crimes yet. Ralston says the charges could include possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, misdemeanor or felony possession of drug paraphernalia, and child endangerment. Making cannabis oil also seems to qualify as manufacturinga controlled substance, a "drug severity level 1 felony" punishable by a prison sentence as long as 17 years.

The fact that it is even conceivable for her to be locked up for 17 years for this tells you all you need to know about American "justice," but if you need more evidence:

American Justice – FBI Lab Overstated Forensic Hair Matches in 95% of Cases, Including 32 Death Sentences

New Report – The United States' Sharp Drop in Economic Freedom Since 2000 Driven by "Decline in Rule of Law"

Radley Balko over at the Washington Post also covered this despicable situation. Here's an excerpt:

He also said the initial anti-drug program was put on entirely by the school — the police had no involvement. At that event Banda's son apparently contradicted some of the claims made about marijuana. The school then contacted the child protection agency, which then contacted the police.

The absurdity here of course is that a woman could lose her custody of her child for therapeutically using a drug that's legal for recreational use an hour to the west. It seems safe to say that the amount of the drug she had in her home was an amount consistent with personal use. (If she had been distributing, she'd almost certainly have been charged by now.)

Of course, this doesn't stop the CPS for continuing to hold the child.

This boy was defending his mother's use of a drug that helps her deal with an awful condition. Because he stuck up for his mother, the state arrested her and ripped him away from her. Even if he is eventually returned to his mother (as he ought to be), the school, the town, and the state of Kansas have already done a lot more damage to this kid than Banda's use of pot to treat her Crohn's disease ever could.

Exactly, and that's the key point.

Banda's supporters have now set up a legal defense fund page for her at Go Fund Me.

Free libertarian

To any of the asshole law enforcement / bureaucratic spooks that spy on web sites like this,  did this story make you feel good?

Did you read it while you were drinking a beer, a coffee or some other form of "legal" but far more harmful prescription drug?

Kidnapping a child is a real crime, owning your own body is not.  Shame on you for being part of this bullshit. 

Tom Sawyer

A "legal" medical cannabis user had their teenage child taken away for "having access to the drug". Even though the cannabis was stored in a locked freezer.

MaineShark

On the flip side, I was just discussing greenhouse heating systems with an associate over in Maine.  He commented on how medical marijuana has helped the industry by encouraging the building of greenhouses for cultivation, and investment in quality equipment (as opposed to when it is illicit, and folks are unwilling to invest because they could be raided at any time and lose it all).  Folks are thinking of it as a real business and putting capital into their facilities, which then helps local contractors.

Many of these businesses are located in remote areas in order to avoid hassles with neighbors or with theft (oddly enough, having folks growing it does not mean that "the kids are going to steal it from the fields" - the owners don't want their product stolen, so they invest in fences and locks and security systems and such - in states where it is not legal, one cannot surround a greenhouse with a tall fence, without attracting the attention of the cops), so much of that investment capital is supporting contractors who are in economically-disadvantaged areas.  We're talking six-figure investments, in some cases, and at least mid-five-figure in many other cases.  In small towns, where a lot of folks may not break into the five figure range for their entire yearly income.

There are major moral reasons why it should not be illegal, and those have always been what was important to me, but it was interesting to hear someone approach it from a business standpoint, and point out the "unintended consequences" (of a beneficial sort) which can come from ending or even relaxing prohibition.  There's less money in the free market than in the black market, but the money is staying local, not ending up with drug lords or tucked away in someone's mattress because they can't spend it openly without raising suspicion.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: MaineShark on April 25, 2015, 06:58 AM NHFT
On the flip side, I was just discussing greenhouse heating systems with an associate over in Maine.  He commented on how medical marijuana has helped the industry by encouraging the building of greenhouses for cultivation, and investment in quality equipment (as opposed to when it is illicit, and folks are unwilling to invest because they could be raided at any time and lose it all).  Folks are thinking of it as a real business and putting capital into their facilities, which then helps local contractors.

Many of these businesses are located in remote areas in order to avoid hassles with neighbors or with theft (oddly enough, having folks growing it does not mean that "the kids are going to steal it from the fields" - the owners don't want their product stolen, so they invest in fences and locks and security systems and such - in states where it is not legal, one cannot surround a greenhouse with a tall fence, without attracting the attention of the cops), so much of that investment capital is supporting contractors who are in economically-disadvantaged areas.  We're talking six-figure investments, in some cases, and at least mid-five-figure in many other cases.  In small towns, where a lot of folks may not break into the five figure range for their entire yearly income.

There are major moral reasons why it should not be illegal, and those have always been what was important to me, but it was interesting to hear someone approach it from a business standpoint, and point out the "unintended consequences" (of a beneficial sort) which can come from ending or even relaxing prohibition.  There's less money in the free market than in the black market, but the money is staying local, not ending up with drug lords or tucked away in someone's mattress because they can't spend it openly without raising suspicion.

The growers are probably in compliance with state law, but they are still in violation of Fed law. The people building things for them could be charged with criminal conspiracy. Probably won't, but they are technical exposed to that risk.

MaineShark

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 25, 2015, 08:16 AM NHFTThe growers are probably in compliance with state law, but they are still in violation of Fed law. The people building things for them could be charged with criminal conspiracy. Probably won't, but they are technical exposed to that risk.

Actually, the discussion came up because someone in Maine had asked me to consult on a greenhouse heating system, and was vague about what he planned to grow.  Which often tends to either mean that he's a prepper, and doesn't want anyone to know about his "secret" food source, or that he's growing cannabis.  Most of those who are growing the latter do understand the issues you mentioned, and are conspicuously-vague about their intentions.  The builders can always wave their hands and exclaim, "I never knew!" if it comes down to that.