• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Liberty-haters are uniting in NH

Started by John, June 09, 2015, 04:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: Free libertarian on June 28, 2015, 08:20 AM NHFTProperty that is taxed, in reality ceases to be property in the original and meaningful sense of the word, "property".   

Zactly.
Remember while growing up being told that "in those "evil" countries - over there" people are not allowed to own property ... ?
Hmm.  So if those governments were "evil," then what would that make this government?

WithoutAPaddle

I suspect that as relations get "normalized" with Cuba and as more Cuban expatriates clamor for reparations for property that the Castro regime took from them, we are going to be confronted with a lot of theories of property ownership, as whomever nominally "owned" any property in Cuba at the time of the 1959 revolution had been so endowed by Cuba's incumbent dictator, Batista,  and owned it only as long as such ownership served that dictator's purposes, and since Batista had only been dictator since 1953, there surely will be descendants of the previous property owners who will present their own claims of rightful ownership of some frequently retitled property, but the fact is, for as long as there have been Europeans in Cuba, Cuban property ownership rights have resided in whomever was powerful enough to take them.

I'm still poking around a little, trying to find out what exactly it meant for Ho Chi Minh's Communist government to have taken land from North Vietnamese landowners in the late 1940s.  I doubt that colonial Indochina had much in the way of an honorable Registry of Deeds.  I have read of the term, "Land Barons" used in describing the despotic power hierarchy of that place and time.  In other parts of the world, such people are called Warlords or Feudal Lords or Dukes, or more locally, Cartwrights and Barkleys. I doubt that the Charles Ingall's family typified Vietnamese farm life.

Russell Kanning