• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Checking in

Started by Dave Ridley, June 22, 2015, 08:31 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

JonM

Admins tend to be exempt.

jerry

Quote from: JonM on July 18, 2015, 09:34 AM NHFT
Dave comes in from many different ips, some which might have been blocked due to spammers.   I've tried to exempt him on the ftp forums, but don't know if it will work, as I can't seem to find a Whitelist like I recall from smf 1.1.  If anyone does have problems logging in there due to VPN, let me know.

As for here,  don't know which anti-spam mods are running,  but if an admin can let me know I can provide advice.

I'm not an Admin here, just a lowly Global Moderator.  But I am responsible for Dada being blocked.

Kat refused to add any mods to block spammers so the only thing I could do was to individually block all the spammers accounts.  After blocking huge swaths of Asia and eastern Europe  ;)  I noticed that the spammers started using open relays to dump their loads, so I started blocking the IPs that they used here.

I have asked Dada to provide me with the IPs that he is using so I could unblock them, but he never replied.  I suspect he is using an anonamizer that randomly chooses open relays that the spammers are also using.

Any suggestions?

JonM

On the fsp forum we've long used a honeypot mod (httpBl) along with a stop spammer mod, which missed a few spammers. When I upgraded to smf 2 I started a trial of clean talk which is $8 a year, that seems to be catching the rest,  only one got through so far.   It blocks bots who fill out forms too fast. It also checks first post for spammy nature,  a bit creepy but posts are public there. It blocks over 200 a day.

Russell Kanning

maybe Dada can borrow someone's computer and come on here in a more conventional way :)

Isn't the point of the FSP to do activism?
You could just moderate the FSP forum like you moderate the big FSP events .... keep out violence and such.

yea I am sure Tom Sawyer was just reporting  on Dada's activities .... that is what the NSA pays him for ;)

Dave Ridley

Ya Jerry sorry to go quiet on you but it wasn't worth hunting down a bunch of IP numbers that might change and giving them to you only to have to do it all over again in a month ...if it even works.   If the problem is impractical to resolve then it's impractical to resolve but at least hopefully more people know what the situation is now regarding access here. 

Is there a way to set things up so that more or less everyone in the world with net access can *see* this forum...regardless of whether they're allowed to post?

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 19, 2015, 10:29 AM NHFT
maybe Dada can borrow someone's computer and come on here in a more conventional way :)

You could just moderate the FSP forum like you moderate the big FSP events .... keep out violence and such.

yea I am sure Tom Sawyer was just reporting  on Dada's activities .... that is what the NSA pays him for ;)

That Tom Sawyer! He made me give him a dead rat on a string and I had to paint his fence too!

JonM

Quote from: Free libertarian on July 21, 2015, 06:31 AM NHFT

Bans can be set to cannot post.

That Tom Sawyer! He made me give him a dead rat on a string and I had to paint his fence too!

jerry

Quote from: JonM on July 21, 2015, 07:16 AM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on July 21, 2015, 06:31 AM NHFT

Doh!  yes they can.

Dada, will that work for you?  If I set all the US open relays to just blocking posting you will be able to read the forum with your VPN, but you will have to turn it off to post.

Dave Ridley

thank you jerry that sounds like it should work!

John

Riddler

Quote from: DadaOrwell on June 22, 2015, 08:31 PM NHFT
I've had problems accessing this forum because it is apparently confusing my IP with some EuroSpammers... I use a VPN.  But I did want to check in and say hi.   It's unfortunate so much traffic from what was once probably new hampshire's top web forum... has been stolen by facebook.  The experience here, when there were people here, was almost always superior to what has replaced it.

I'm still here.....

Dave Ridley

hmmm looks like i have access again for no clear reason!

Russell Kanning